NEW: Daily & Sunday Politics plus PMQs

Yet another failed Politician (lost Oxford to Layla Moran for goodness sake!), ennobled and ‘elevated’ to the HoL. I suspect she was nominated by PMTM, but not clear on Wiki. She seemed to be quite chippy on the Politics show this morning - maybe she had one of her migraines!
I only subsequently discovered the migraine problem . . . and then edited my earlier post!

You seem to have been stalking “showing-an-interest” in the lady, longer than me!! ;) .

Last edited:
I only subsequently discovered the migraine problem . . . and then edited my earlier post!

You seem to been stalking “showing-an-interest” in the lady, longer than me!! ;) .
Stalking is the wrong word - I have a strong interest in Politics! :grin:

I know that the SNP don't speak for the whole of Scotland, despite what they might think. But the same old crap from Blackford at PMQ's. The biggest threat to the Union isn't PMBJ, it's wee nippy and Blackford.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I know that the SNP don't speak for the whole of Scotland, despite what they might think. But the same old crap from Blackford at PMQ's. The biggest threat to the Union isn't PMBJ, it's wee nippy and Blackford.
I don't think Nippy & Blackie are threats to the Union - threats to the SNP maybe as even their supporters start to get more and more pissed of at the constant rabbiting on about IndyRef while the country is being poorly lead.

Friday 24th, Politics Live.

"Jo Coburn is live in Westminster with author and broadcaster Timandra Harkness, the economist Ann Pettifor, Rachel Sylvester, from The Times, and the barrister and author Hashi Mohamed to discuss a proposed tax on global technology companies, the Labour leadership contest, a citizens’ assembly being held in Birmingham to try and tackle climate change, a new biography of George Orwell and social mobility."

This lady was interesting:
1579876796028.png

1579876828560.png

http://www.timandraharkness.com

Ann Petifor was described as an "economist". So often on the BBC, that is usually a coverall that cloaks underlying hard left political leanings, so I did a quick search. Petifor describes herself as a POLITICAL Economist. Her claim to fame is predicting financial crisis. Predicting a financial crisis and commenting on folly of excess growth and debt is one thing but the now hard left Labour party had proposals to create more debt by spending any amount on things that might get them elected.

"In 2015 the leader of the British Labour Party named me as one of a council of seven economic advisers, and in 2017 Kate Osamor MP appointed me to Labour’s Task Force on international development."

Ann Pettifor – Political economist, author and public speaker

Her demeanour seemed to be authoritative, she is right, they are wrong and she demands attention. At least that is how it came across. It seemed that some of the panel were looking at her a few times, thinking WTF? I'm not suggesting dismissing her work, analysis or ideas out of hand but I presume she aligned herself with a magic money tree Corbynist economy.

Hashi Mohamed seemed okay and seemed fairly balanced. His book may be of interest. He was a child immigrant and worked hard to become a barrister but says even with the hard work and education, it still required luck, help from others and family sacrifices.

There was a discussion about the class system where there is some pressure from the top, "you don't really belong here" kind of thing but also inverse snobbery from the bottom* "so you think your better than us now do you?" which seems all too prevalent even in the 21st century.

*This was a comparative descriptor used on the show rather than a definition of any kind.

Rachel Sylvester was okay as usual but was flustered at the end by Jo asking her a question seconds before the show was about to end. FFS sort yourself out Jo!

ETA link to episode:

Politics Live - 24/01/2020

Last edited:
"People come to the UK to work. Why else would they (come)?"

TO CLAIM BENEFITS AND ABUSE THE UK SOCIAL SECURITY SYSTEM!

Arrrrrgh!!

Arrrrrgh!!
Don't forget the International Health Service.

Arrrrrgh!!
It is all very well for wee nippy to introduce a visa system for migrants, because she knows that the majority of migrants don't want to go to Scotland. JOCO made a fair question about just hopping over into England, not really answered by SNP lackey.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
It is all very well for wee nippy to introduce a visa system for migrants, because she knows that the majority of migrants don't want to go to Scotland. JOCO made a fair question about just hopping over into England, not really answered by SNP lackey.
She can't issue visa's as that in a UK power, any turning up wouldbe turned right back if they were stupid enoughto be taken in.

She can't issue visa's as that in a UK power, any turning up wouldbe turned right back if they were stupid enoughto be taken in.
. . . . Unless their international flight/ferry lands in Scotland :( .

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
. . . . Unless their international flight/ferry lands in Scotland :( .
UKBA is responsible to the Home Office not the fool in Scotland, they set the parameters of entry following the instructions of a real Parliament not an expensive dysfunctional talking shop.

HoL's Dame Margaret Prodder !!

O.M.G. Seems reasonable, sensible, articulate, EXCEPT unable to comprehend that Islamist terrorists (in detention), would not deny their core beliefs, "raison detre" !! :( .

. . . and, in finishing, she just said those who voted for BREXIT did NOT know for what they were voting, F.F.S. . . . Arrrgh!!

Last edited:
AN raised question why guest Daniel Hannah (and also Nigel Farage), NOT included amongst leeked suggestions of those to be elevated to HoL . . . which includes blustering suade-shoes Ken Clark(e), and "spread sheet" Phil Hammond.

AN raised question why guest Daniel Hannah (and also Nigel Farage), NOT included amongst leeked suggestions of those to be elevated to HoL . . . which includes blustering suade-shoes Ken Clark(e), and "spread sheet" Phil Hammond.
Shocking, if true, but unsurprising. Boris isn’t covering himself in glory at the moments, when it comes to the Honours system - Zac Goldsmith and Nicky Morgan for starters. It needs to be radically revamped, to remove Political placemen (and other genders). Why on earth should Hammond and Clarke be ennobled - their behaviour last year was shocking.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Shocking, if true, but unsurprising. Boris isn’t covering himself in glory at the moments, when it comes to the Honours system - Zac Goldsmith and Nicky Morgan for starters. It needs to be radically revamped, to remove Political placement (and other genders). Why on earth should Hammond and Clarke be ennobled - their behaviour last year was shocking.
If you've lost your seat then you should be automatically disbarred from enoblement on the grounds that the electorate decided that they didn't want you involved in government any more.

"Millionaire" family's Steven Kinnock, embarrassing himself, trotting-out thread-bare responses . . . and loosing arguements to young "school leaver" , the articulate Darren Grimes, Institute of Economic Affairs . . who speaks with a more convincing "regional" accent . . . the kind from which Kinnock has worked to distance himself ;) !!

Nominations for elevation to the House of Lords

During Andrew Neil’s BBC TV political programme, on Thursday 06 February 2020, mention was made of Kenneth Clarke, and Philip Hammond, both been elevated to the House of Lords, on the recommendation of Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who has nominated them both, in the Dissolution Honours List.

Comments were made by the “guests” on the programme, complimenting the attempt by a magnanimous Prime Minister Johnson, to - hopefully - “heal” the Conservative party, and re-establish its “One-Nation” status.

Whatever the justification for these nominations, one has to question if the Government can be confident that it will be able to constrain, and restrain, both these proven disloyal individuals, once they are in the House of Lords?!

The attitude and past behaviour, of both Ken Clarke, and Phil Hammond, will again be of particular concern, once the UK is - inevitably - heading for a (hoped for) “Hard BREXIT” . . . under WTO terms/rules.

The nomination of both Ken Clarke, and Phil Hammond, will be viewed with concern and scepticism by a “volatile” electorate, who applauded the suspension of both Ken Clarke, and Phil Hammond. That suspension displaying a degree of discipline and authority, that undoubtedly contributed to the present Governments parliamentary majority.

Latest Threads