NEW: Daily & Sunday Politics plus PMQs

Typical Scottish politics.
Independent from the UK, governed by Brussels.
Frying pan / fire interface detection activated.

Peter Bone drops the bombshell. If media reports are in any way accurate, does the PM realise that she will lose the support of a number of Conservative MPs and millions of voters. PMTM unflustered went on to put down SNP's Ian Blackford who is so keen for Scotland to be ruled be Brussels while calling for Independence.
I take it the jocks get better subsidies from Brussels?

I take it the jocks get better subsidies from Brussels?
There is some debate as to whether the Scottish Parliament could somehow remain within the EU while getting independence from London or, if it would have to apply to join the EU. SNP want more people as more people means more taxes, so they would likely be keen on Schengen. There are already housing shortages and pressures on the NHS and rail which struggle to cope.

The EU are unlikely to see Scotland as a profitable asset compared to the UK as a whole but (a) it would give them something to gloat about (b) it would give them a destination for many more migrants (c) It would further the aims of expansion and in doing so (d) take possession of Scottish waters and (e) create a political sea bridge to Ireland.

That would put NI in a difficult position being further isolated from London, though nowhere near as distant as the Falklands or Gibraltar but stuck in an EU sandwich with the Isle of Man as it's closest non-EU landmass. Not impossible but requiring additional infrastructure for power etc unless it was to continue to import from Ireland.

Bypassing NI for goods would require new and longer ferry routes. Not impossible but not ideal either. A compromise would be more likely unless either side dug their heels in.

With Schengen extending to Scotland, comes the problem of managing not just sea borders but land borders.
Violent crime and sexual assaults increase in Scotland. Farm thefts. Shanty towns appear. Brain drain as taxes rise and quality of life drops.

How am I doing so far?

Peter Bone drops the bombshell. If media reports are in any way accurate, does the PM realise that she will lose the support of a number of Conservative MPs and millions of voters. PMTM unflustered went on to put down SNP's Ian Blackford who is so keen for Scotland to be ruled be Brussels while calling for Independence.
Except he didn't raise the spectre of the 'deal' (95% agreed, 5% surrendered) not meeting all TMPM's promises - in which case she will have misled the House.

Nor did anyone ask "If the deal is all you say, why are one-to-ones necessary for Ministers?". Also "With Cabinet Responsibilty, why does the Cabinet not meet?", rather than faff around for hours, allowing leaks from non-UK to gather pace ?

Yet the dumb Sweaty muppets keep re-electing them.
2010 - Mostly Labour and Lib Dems

2015 - SNP sky rocket in support (a) Nicola Sturgeon (b) voters had enough of Labour and Lib Dems and decided to give SNP a try. Labour seen as incompetent and almost wiped out.

2017 - Lib Dems still favoured in Caithness, Orkney and Shetland. SNP talk the talk but many voters have got over the honeymoon period and realised who they were in bed with. Massive Scottish Conservative resurgence under Ruth Davidson. I would suggest that there are many who voted SNP who will no longer do so.

1542211395709.png

Last edited:
Who would you have as PM, just out of curiosity?

Gove?
Hammond?
McVey?
Mordaunt?
None of the above. Geoffery Cox. He commands respect, has a powerful delivery and is a world apart from the stuttering and word trips we are used to. Has the legal knowledge and knows how things work. If he took charge he could keep the others under control. A popular choice I would think, albeit not one they expect.

Gove seen as sleekit.
Hammond seen as sly and manipulative. Good speaker. Europhile.
McVey was given poisoned chalice and is unpopular as a result. Seen to have made some blunders at HoC.
Mordaunt - too early in her career but one to watch. Not sure she would be a PM though.

TBH, I'm struggling to see a credible and charismatic leader for the conservatives.