New clamp design better than a tourniquet?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by northern-matelot, Apr 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Designed by a Royal Canadian Navy Doc, this sounds like a promising device- you have a gash on your arm or leg, so rather than bandage with a tourniquet, you apply this clamp to the said area to provide pressure and help form a clot.

$65 Emergency Clamps Seal Gashes Faster Than Tourniquets

I'm just not too sure about the "teeth"!

2. It looks better, but I think the price would put the MoD off it. Also would you still have to apply 2, or would one be sufficient?

The teeth would deffinatly put me off if I had to put it on myself.

I could see a team medic carrying a couple but not every bod in a rifle company.

3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

A tourniquet would still be needed in traumatic amps; the clamp seems to be somewhat limited in application.

4. It might be OK for a minor injury but if there is any sonic damage such as from a GSW involved then clamping the wound shut would be counter to DPS. If a major vessel is involved then I would have thought that you'd just get tissuing rather than stem the blood flow. If they only have a limited use for relatively minor injuries then they are an expensive form of first aid and, as you say, would have little use with traumatic amputations or large scale injuries.

5. The ITClamp was inspired by hinged hair-clips—the spring-loaded ones with the interlocking combs. Say, as in the video above, you find your self in a subway station, bleeding profusely from a *newly discovered hole* in your arm. Rather than just sit there and bleed to death, you pull out an ITClamp...

Newly discovered hole... So there I am on the Piccadilly line with me newly discovered hole and thinking well **** me I forgot my oyster card but not my 2 new emergency clamps...

This is not a practical device. For a start the CAT would do the job in half the time, at half the cost and much less fuss and training. Those evil spiky things are clinical 'sharps' so multiple admin headaches for users, including sharps injury.

Ask yourself, would I prefer this or the CAT on me? Which would I prefer to put on my mate?

Simples.

That's £50 consultancy fee, plus yer VAT, I can do you 90 notes for cash love...

6. I doubt you'd be worried about hte teeth if you needed on eof these things fitted!!!

Only seems to work on smaller holes though... Wont replace a tourniquet, but would definitly compliment.

7. Why, what's up with a bandage?

8. Depends when you are using it. I am thinking in situations where a bandage would take to long or be unable to be applied. maybe in the back of a heli (ie Pedro).

The logic behind a touniquet is to slow the flow of blood to allow clotting and to prevent the clot from being blown out by the force of hte blood. It doing so it has to cut off blood to a larger area. This seems to provide a nifty solution that could be used in place of such a device to provide a localised closing off of the injury.

9. OK mate. Which requires the least skill?

The tourniquet cuts off blood supply to an area which already has no blood supply because the mains (the artery) is ruptured.

It's easy to save lives. Maintain airway and turn off the tap.

I think putting the new device on a through & through wound, or any other, is more complicated than using CAT or a heamostatic agent.

What's the new FFD supposed to be called again?

Yeah, one of them as well. Pressure, elevation and a CAT if that doesn't work.

There is no need for this device. There is already adequate cheap, safe & easy to use kit which is battle tested.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Which is why I said it would complement the CAT, rather than take over from it... In some apps I could see this as being useful, maybe not on General Issue, but as mentioned in closed in areas such as AFVs and Helis.

You don't neccesarily only use CATs on severed arteries.

11. One of the biggest problems with new bits of kit like this is that people go daft and use them inappropriately or when they just aren't needed. If you wanted to save a few bob you could go to Staples and buy a few of these, they'd work just as well without the sharps hazard.

fold back Bulldog_clips_10112.jpg

12. I'm sorry but I have to stop you there, you are talking shit.

You like this new device because it is shiny and because you can now talk about it like you are with the geezer with the finger on the pulse.

AFV and heli, yes please I'll have a CAT.

And as for 'on Heli' one would hope that there's a CAT already in place before loading or there will be nothing left alive for me and the surgeon to poke and prod in between munching large slices of greasy pizza and jogging around large greasy nurses at Bastion.

What level of training are you? Have you experience of prehospital care?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Actually I wouldn't want it in my kit. As I said, it has it's uses (my own perceptions admittedly) and it doesn't replace the CAT. I said that in post 6.

My own pre-hospital care experience is gleaned from being a Patrol medic both in NI (trained in 98) and Herrick (trained in 09 and 11) and being one of the lucky RMAs trawled for Telic in 04, where I munched about in a BG RAP.

I ended up roped in to several Op Nightingales, mainly ANA types on my last tour. Also loading up a hurt USMC in to the back of a Pedro in Sangin (during hoto) where they were ripping the bandages OFF in order to treat the guy properly (points to note I was only there on that one because I was on the heli pad and the truck drove straight to the LZ (pretty much)).

I am not claiming to be a brain surgeon or indeed a MERT bloke, but I can see where this could be useful.

• Like Like x 1

14. Ok mate, sorry, I confused you with another poster.

I can't see it being useful as it does nothing that we can't already do and it's Fiddly. Those spikes look like a double edged weapon too. In fact it looks like a nightmare.

I'll get you one for Christmas, just don't use it on me!