New CIC Course

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by cannon fodder, Jun 5, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just completed a new revamped tougher CIC for the TA. The army has finally listened to lack of good training the TA receive and has made the CIC a far better course. From what I heard the course is going to get tougher and tougher over the next few months!

All of the reg recruits and reg trainers treated the TA personal with a lot of respect and dedicated a lot of time to helping us become more effecient soldiers.

For anyone going on CIC in the next few months, Catterick are due delivery of the A2 rifle.. which will be a relief as the current stock up there are ******* rubbish!

2. You trying to say that the A2 is Good? :?

3. ..No.. but what would you prefer A1 or A2... as we wont get a brand new rifle!

Have you had bad experiences with the A2, as everyone I have spoken with said that it very rarely jammed!

4. Got briefed on this today, Phase 1 consists of 3 parts..

1. 3 weekends being taught 1st aid, NBC etc (no weapons)
    2. 2 week course at an ATR
    3. 117 periods of instruction, mainly shooting.....

Then for my corps its trade training .. which lasts a week.

What the f^%k are recruits doing during their time with an ATR, how on earth can you come off a TA recruits course and be unable to handle a rifle.

Who are they asking for advice when changing these courses? I know my new siggies arrived in the troop having their weaknesses but shooting, 1st aid, map reading, NBC has never been top of the list. (VP was). I used to be a mortar section commander and never moaned about what I got.

5. Not 'Jamming' per sa, but I went through half of the gulf war with my safety catch sticking either on or off. I could shift it by smacking it with a full magazine, but that sure slows down your drills :-(
    And before anyone says, yes, it was cleaned every day (sometimes more) as per the new book not the old school!

6. The new course focuses heavily on shooting skills and fieldcraft. Still is a lack of phyz though it is designed to be very demanding with 10K tabs at 1 in the morning!

The instructors have been ordered to treat TA the same as regs. Mates of mine in the TA said that 90 % of their CIC course was sitting around doing nothing as instructors did not turn up to take lessons... as they did not care about TA!

7. Nothing new there, mind you, I am going back x years, when Instructors were still shaking sand out of their boots . Lot of emphasis on Night shoots and ambushes, and 10K tabs on the extraction and insertion phase were not unusual. Plenty of sneaky Phys "Right Lads, we;ll just double to the cookhouse/armoury/main gate/next lesson.

All in all highly enjoyable. Very surprised by the "Instructors not keen to teach TA "comment. 2 friends of mine have both been instructors up ther in recent times, and there was no shortage of bodies to teach TA. not because it was easier, but because you had a group of soldiers who were keen, enthusiastic and wanted to learn

If anything , TACIC should be 4 weeks, not two.

8. I agree that the CIC should be extended! But it is the problem with getting time off work! 4 weeks is my annual allowance!

They said this course was new and improved.. and it is a lot different from the course some of the lads from my unit did a year back or so!

Basic training has improved a great deal in the last year. Phase 1 going from 4 shitty bastard weekends to 9, then the 2 week CIC...maybe then push it to 3 weeks??? Or more training weekends dedicated to phyz?!!

9. Phys has to be down to indviduial to acheive standard and unit to ensure
    recruits go to courses able to meet standards.
    Enthusiasiasm waxes and wanes depending on how many courses instructors have taken normally found most instructors keen to teach ta

10. Got briefed on this today, Phase 1 consists of 3 parts..

1. 3 weekends being taught 1st aid, NBC etc (no weapons)
    2. 2 week course at an ATR
    3. 117 periods of instruction, mainly shooting.....

Then for my corps its trade training .. which lasts a week.

What the f^%k are recruits doing during their time with an ATR, how on earth can you come off a TA recruits course and be unable to handle a rifle.

Who are they asking for advice when changing these courses? I know my new siggies arrived in the troop having their weaknesses but shooting, 1st aid, map reading, NBC has never been top of the list. (VP was). I used to be a mortar section commander and never moaned about what I got.

11. Polar,

CIC refers specifically to infantry Phase 2 they having shot to LF4 -4 done all NBC tasks, First Aid and Map Reading to ITD level and completed a 4 mile battle march in CEMO plus a load of heavy drill (I then have to reteach LD Drill later). They are also trained in infantry skills to Fire Team fire and manouvre level.

12. I bet being taught normal drill hurts (my LI drill instruction was a move to right quick march - on a rememberance day parade, had only just transferred in).

I'm a bit confused as to what a soldier can do once they returned from the ATR, can they do guards with weapons etc?
    From what your saying nothing has changed much since I did my recruits in the late 80's.

Wonder if my units got it wrong and the soldiers are trained to phase 1 standards when they've done the recuits course and the 117 periods of instruction is the infantry's phase 2?

13. My understanding and Bn practice is that until they have completed Phase 2 ie CIC they are not allowed to move on to Stage 4&5 shoots (since they may not get chance to pass APWT till CIC) - so no live Fire and Movement. Likewise they are not allowed to use live grenades. They will have passed WHT's so are allowed to use blank and can provide unarmed guards. Main difference for us (apart from heavy drill) is that they now have far more NBC and First Aid than before are more aware of rights and obligations (theirs and ours) and a more progressive build up in fitness. Negative's are it take a lot longer to get them though >14 weeks compared to 8 before. If they complete to CIC they are often worth keeping as they have demonstarted committment enough in time alone to get through. What then happens is they lose direction as they have been working to completion and once done what next....a point I have raised before.

14. S-T-A

Talking to one of our pups just back from CIC, most of the first week seems to be on the range.

:roll:

15. [What then happens is they lose direction as they have been working to completion and once done what next....a point I have raised before.[/quote]
    What we try and instill in our recruits and young soldiers is once they have passed CIC or are now trained soldiers they should be looking to the next step in their Careers. i.e. recruits should look forward to being trained soldiers , Trained soldiers should look forward to gaining promotion, either by doing trades or (preferable to us ) by attending AND passing JNQCand junior Brecon