• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

new chat

Hi there

I hope someone can help me. I have not been able to log in to the new chat at all.

I have deleted cookies, emptied cache, have vista home premium (IE7) and the latest Java loaded. I have also tried with google chrome.

I get an error message saying the username i have entered is not allowed access. I have not been banned or anything other from chat as far as i am aware .

I am not a massive user of chat but it is frustrating to see folks in there and i cant get in to play. I feel like th enorty boy kept indoors watching his mates playing snowballs outside

I would be grateful for some help please?

Roger

This is a problem with non-alphanumeric characters in the chat system. I have raised a support request with them as clearly this is 'get it sorted or we find a new chat system'. Loads of people have characters in their usernames. I've changed yours to RogerOut2. As soon as I get this resolved, with the current or new chat I can change it back for you.

Thanks for taking the trouble to raise the issue and also to give me a prod when I didn't come back to you.

P

PrinceAlbert

Is there a reason for the new chat? The old one was far better IMO.

The old one was easier on the eyes, and easier to get to grips with.

This is a problem with non-alphanumeric characters in the chat system. I have raised a support request with them as clearly this is 'get it sorted or we find a new chat system'. Loads of people have characters in their usernames. I've changed yours to RogerOut2. As soon as I get this resolved, with the current or new chat I can change it back for you.

Thanks for taking the trouble to raise the issue and also to give me a prod when I didn't come back to you.
Appreciate the feedback, all worked well last night I was pleased to be able to play with the other kids :)

Chat is a tricky one. I was happy with the last chat system, but it got hacked, and I wasn't happy with the security anyway. I pointed out a gaping hole to them which they fixed, but it didn't make me confident in the parts of the system I couldn't see. I then looked up exploits for the software and found a couple of really serious ones. So we scrapped it and coughed up for the current 'parachat', which I also don't like, mainly because it's a java plugin applet. It is also ugly.

I have another chat to try which I will do on RP before here. It's a bit more like facebook chat so you end up with chat windows at the bottom of the screen.

This is a time consuming and expensive business though, so please bear with it for now.

P

PrinceAlbert

Chat is a tricky one. I was happy with the last chat system, but it got hacked, and I wasn't happy with the security anyway. I pointed out a gaping hole to them which they fixed, but it didn't make me confident in the parts of the system I couldn't see. I then looked up exploits for the software and found a couple of really serious ones. So we scrapped it and coughed up for the current 'parachat', which I also don't like, mainly because it's a java plugin applet. It is also ugly.

I have another chat to try which I will do on RP before here. It's a bit more like facebook chat so you end up with chat windows at the bottom of the screen.

This is a time consuming and expensive business though, so please bear with it for now.
Fair enough. I don't use chat that often, but the new one is very ugly.....

I can't log in at all, I'm told I have to download an applet, which I click to install, then it doesn't do anything. I know my craptop is pretty useless but I've tried everything to get it to work. Any advice gratefully received :)

I think this chat will being scrapped in favour of the onw we're trialing on RearParty, pending feedback from their and some technicalities. A shame because it was bloody expensive. The whole Java applet thing is crap though.

I got it sorted with the help of my new best friend rogermellie who sent me a link to download Java even though I already had it, but it's worked so now I'm happy coz I can abuse you again codger! :-D

R

rogermellie

I got it sorted with the help of my new best friend rogermellie who sent me a link to download Java even though I already had it, but it's worked so now I'm happy coz I can abuse you again codger! :-D
Ah ha so its on record now is it :-D
Hope you had a good crimbo oh and in reference to the crimbo present thread get ironing will ya !!

Kind regards

R M (your new best friend:p )

Latest Threads