new chat

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by RogerOut2, Dec 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there

I hope someone can help me. I have not been able to log in to the new chat at all.

I have deleted cookies, emptied cache, have vista home premium (IE7) and the latest Java loaded. I have also tried with google chrome.

I get an error message saying the username i have entered is not allowed access. I have not been banned or anything other from chat as far as i am aware .

I am not a massive user of chat but it is frustrating to see folks in there and i cant get in to play. I feel like th enorty boy kept indoors watching his mates playing snowballs outside

I would be grateful for some help please?

Roger

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I wonder if the ! in your username is causing trouble. I will try this out tonight / tomorrow at some point.

3. Any joy with this boss?

If it is the ! in my username then is it possible to change it, perhaps to "Rogerout2"

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Sorry! Forgot - back in about an hour to crack it.

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

This is a problem with non-alphanumeric characters in the chat system. I have raised a support request with them as clearly this is 'get it sorted or we find a new chat system'. Loads of people have characters in their usernames. I've changed yours to RogerOut2. As soon as I get this resolved, with the current or new chat I can change it back for you.

Thanks for taking the trouble to raise the issue and also to give me a prod when I didn't come back to you.

6. Is there a reason for the new chat? The old one was far better IMO.

The old one was easier on the eyes, and easier to get to grips with.

7. Appreciate the feedback, all worked well last night I was pleased to be able to play with the other kids :)

8. It was hacked and caused problems. I'm sure there's a thread about it somewhere...:thumright:

9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Chat is a tricky one. I was happy with the last chat system, but it got hacked, and I wasn't happy with the security anyway. I pointed out a gaping hole to them which they fixed, but it didn't make me confident in the parts of the system I couldn't see. I then looked up exploits for the software and found a couple of really serious ones. So we scrapped it and coughed up for the current 'parachat', which I also don't like, mainly because it's a java plugin applet. It is also ugly.

I have another chat to try which I will do on RP before here. It's a bit more like facebook chat so you end up with chat windows at the bottom of the screen.

This is a time consuming and expensive business though, so please bear with it for now.

10. Fair enough. I don't use chat that often, but the new one is very ugly.....

11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Well I'm glad I just went in to all that detail for someone who doesn't care anyway!

12. Now now, I didn't say that I didn't care. If I didn't care I wouldn't have mentioned it.

13. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Price, I just think you were rather ungrateful.

14. I can't log in at all, I'm told I have to download an applet, which I click to install, then it doesn't do anything. I know my craptop is pretty useless but I've tried everything to get it to work. Any advice gratefully received :)

15. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I think this chat will being scrapped in favour of the onw we're trialing on RearParty, pending feedback from their and some technicalities. A shame because it was bloody expensive. The whole Java applet thing is crap though.