New challenge for Subbies in London area

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by The_Duke, Mar 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Due to a combination of promotions, house moves and work commitments there are positions open for Lts/Capts in 10 Coy 4 Para.

We have several POs undergoing training at the moment, but the next ice age is moving faster than the TA officer training system so it could be some time before we see them with shiny new pips.

If you have already passed Pl Comd Tactics Course, then it is just (!) P Coy and your wings course. If no PCTC then that will be on the cards after P Coy. Next P Coy is in around 4 months.

I fully expect some abuse, but if anyone fancies a change of direction or a new challenge, this might be of interest.

PMs or questions welcome.

Duke

2. milling, Duke?

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Milling is always a challenge, and makes for a good photo. Subbies stand by to be matched against the nearest gorilla!

4. The_duke,
    I am currently ungoing training with 10 coy, 4 Para. If I manage to pass CIC/P Coy I will most definitely strive towards an Officer level appointment.

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

cc84,

Good luck with your training. However, once you pass you will serve with the Coy for a while so that we can assess your potential to be an officer, and then go into the sausage factory that is TA officer training. Realistically, you are looking at 2 to 3 years from now before you are likely to get your commission.

I hope you do go for it, but these are positions that need filling soonest!

Duke

6. Isn't that a bit short sighted? As it would mean that if someone had ambitions to be a Para (R) officer they would be better off going DETAPO and then doing P Coy, or am I missing something.

What would the story be if he was to pass CIC/TA P Coy and then apply for a commission, it would seem counter-productive to require him to hand in his papers and re-apply as a DETAPO (which IIRC he could do). My inference from you post is that the respose would be along the lines of well if you want to be a 'hat rupert then go forth and multipy.

Why wait 2 to 3 years, wouldn't a report from his Basic Trg Staff give you a pretty good idea if he has what it takes, especially as the has the 'Sausage Machine' to get through subsequently.

Interested in your replies as I've seen similar discussions in other units.

7. The_duke,

That goes without saying!
    I see your point though- I am yet to see a 2nd L/T or LT at 10 Coy.

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Hopkins,

I think that you might have got the wrong end of the stick. If cc84 is successful at CIC/P Coy, he will be reported on by the recruit training staff with regards to his potential as an officer - all our recruits are. If he is deemed likely, he will be interviewed by the OC on passing basic training and it will be discussed then.

After a short period of time to settle in (and him to enjoy himself as a Tom) he will go as a 4 Para sponsored potential officer. he will not sign off and go DETAPO.

The main time lag is driven by the time taken to do modules 1- 5 of the officer training programme. We have 3 soldiers going through this process at the moment. The 2 - 3 years comment is from his passing CIC to fully commissioned, not until the point when he goes for a commission.

Duke

9. Thanks for the clarification

10. Not to rock the boat but I seem to remember a guidance note saying units could not do anything but support a soldiers application to apply to be an officer.

All selection to be done by AOSB etc.

Not to rock the boat but that might allay some of the 'face fitting' fears that you sometimes here bantered about when the issue of unit level selection is raised.

This policy could of course have changed recently and if so I look forward to the maroon coloured ink corrections to my post :D

11. Hello Duke - your post fired me up - again !!

Completed Pre-Para Selection.

Ditto 'P' Coy

Ditto 'Wings'Course.

Tabbed all over Brecon/Sennybridge/Fan Dance

Retired on Feb 23rd 2007. Too old now.

...but would love to go again....

Lots of luck to you Duke.

- time was you had to fight to get into The Parachute Regiment...

12. msr

msr LE

Well, if spending time to assess candidates' potential as an officer is not supporting an application, (and no doubt producing an action plan to improve weak areas) then I don't know what is!

msr

13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Spot on. Anyone can go for AOSB, but a bit of evaluation and training before starting the process can help.

I am not aware of anyone in 4 Para that has expressed an interest in becoming an officer not being put forward for it. Some however have been advised to spend a bit of time working on some areas before attempting.

Funny old thing, the ones that we were less confident about have either failed at some stage, or been weaker officers once commissioned. The difference is between a long term, real life evaluation (complete with projects, command tasks, added responsibility etc) at unit to assess potential vs 3 days of bib wearing and going over the Crufts style assault course at AOSB.

They both have merit, but I believe in the value of in unit assessment.

14. Oh I agree, but from my understanding that should be happening during their time on mod 2 as they gear up for AOSB.

15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

But the problem is when someone wants to go for a commission, spends a fair amount of time getting to AOSB and fails. Result is 1 x demoralised soldier who has missed out on unit training for a considerable time.

I would suggest that a CO, OC, SPSI (many of ours have been RMAS instructors) etc could make a reasonable estimation of a soldier's ability to be an officer and give them sound advice before they start training. Sometimes that advice is that they would be better suited to pursuing a career as a JNCO. If they chose to ignore that advice then it is up to them, but the box in the paperworking requiring the CO's comments as to suitability will no doubt reflect that.