New Chairman JCS

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by tomahawk6, Apr 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The new Chairman is USMC Gen Peter Pace. He will be the first Marine Chairman JCS in the history of the Joint Staff.

2. Will the new Chair being a leatherneck lead to any significant differences T6?

3. Nothing good. I am a little uncomfortable with a yes man as CJCS.

4. A little piece about the man:

I'm not sure what a "virtuous circle" is but I think Mrs Numnums has one.

5. Very few of the senior Marine generals today are of the Chesty Puller mold. Of course that is true of Army senior generals as well. No one wants to buck the system at the expense of their career so no one tells the civilians what they really need to be told. Whenever I see a pic of the JCS sitting at the table I see 6 bobbleheads.

One refreshing appointment recently was the annoucement that LTG William Wallace would get his fourth star and would run TRADOC. Most of us felt that his comments in the invasion of Iraq killed his chances,but I am glad to see that he is out of the dog house.

6. Whodda thunk it?

I gather you have reservations about the man and how he got there T6. Who would have been your pick?

7. If the job had to go to a Naval officer I would favor Admiral Keating.

8. Having spent a lot of my time in the (Brit, obviously) Army working with the US forces, I welcome that news. Peter Pace to me comes across as a guy who has his head screwed on right, and is not prone to coming out with pointless statements such as "We're gonna kick some ass" as a lot of your generals do.

Incredibly smart fella, he seems to be - maybe he'll be able to spread a calming influence across to those who tend to shoot first and ask questions later.

Good news.

Edit: Just read that bit about the barrage on the village - at least he did have the good sense to cancel it, he listened to his SNCO. Just backs it up for me.

9. Time will tell. But I am scepticle.

10. In what way? Do you think he will be too "softly softly" and a yes man? He certainly seems to have a done a lot in his career and like I said earlier, seems to be pretty level headed.

I'm obviously looking from an outsiders point of view, but I'd have thought he can perhaps make a bit of a difference as he comes across well.

11. T6 doesn't like him because he's a Marine. :wink:

12. see that General Myers, the Chair of the Joint Chiefs admits that the US military is starting to run on empty..
    In a ' classified' report to Congress that somehow didn't remain ' secret' for very long he says that operations in Iraq and Afghanistan have constrined the military's ability to tackle other potential conflicts [ so no going after Iran, Syria, N. Korea or other problems for the next bit, please ]

he stated that future wars may be significantly longer as a result " and achieving campaign objectives may result in higher casualties and collateral damage "
    The US has 138,000 troops in Iraq and 17, 000 in Afghanistan both are suffering from various factors such as depleted supplies of precision weapons [ used in the opening phase of ' liberating ' Iraq ] and have a heavy reliance on The Reserve and National Guard components..

at the same time the Army announced that it missed its April recruitment goal by 42%!! and the Reserve recruiting fell 37%..

recruiters cite potential recruits and their families are wary of enlisting in light of Iraq and also because the US economy offers improved civilian job opportunities and recompense [ also no one gets shot at -or is less likely - at a States-side job ]...

Not to kick the boys while they're down [ well, why not ].. but ,if Pte Lynndie England is an example of what they're ' fishing in ' to the forces these days I'd say they're beginning to scrape the bottom of the barrell already and that doesn't bode well for America's ' military might '..