New chairman for the EU Military Committee

I don't know why I am doing this, I imagine this thread will not attract any viewer, but hey....:smile:
The new CEUMC wille replace French general de Rousiers in Brussels in NOV 15

The Chief of the Hellenic Armed Forces General Staff General Mihalis Kostarakos was elected new chairman of the EU Military Committee, in a vote among Chiefs of the Armed Forces of Member States of the European Union, held in Brussels, in the framework of the Conference of the Military Committee of the European Union.

The chairman of the Military Committee remains at his post for three years and the Chief of Staff will assume his new duties in November 2015, according to an announcement from the Hellenic Armed Forces General Staff.
Minister of National Defence Nikos Dendias congratulated the Chief of Staff, noting that "his success is also the success of Greece and our Armed Forces."
The minister also noted that he is confident that the Chief of Staff will work productively and efficiently from the very first day of taking over his duties "for the construction of a new strategy for the Common Security and Defence Policy of the European Union towards a truly united Europe".

http://www.newgreektv.com/index.php/greece/item/12650-kostarakos-head-of-eu-military-committee

Kosta.jpg

Job description of the CEUMC

The permanent Chairman of the European Union Military Committee (CEUMC). leads the works of the EU Military Committee (EUMC) and liaises with the Presidency in the development and implementation of its work programme.

He is the military adviser to the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy on all military matters and represents the primary Point of Contact with the Operation Commanders of the EU's military operations.

He is the spokesman and representative of the EU Military Committee at the meetings of the Political Security Committee (PSC) . He also attends the meetings of the Council when decisions with defence implications are to be taken.

Given the Greek Army's somewhat strained relations with democracy the appointment is at least consistent with the EU's contempt for it.

Well, the only Greeks with whom I have worked closely were quite, simply, worse than useless.

Additionally I have just read an article saying the Greeks have orphanages in which children are kept behind bars, as the Greek economy can't afford nursing staff.

Perhaps they need to sort some priorities.
R3

He is the military advisor to Her High Representativeness the Baroness Ashton!!

He's welcome to that job - I bet discussions about nuclear weapons are enlightening. The Greeks getting their reward for continuing to buy German weapons in a time of financial crisis I suppose

mogherini.jpg

Ashton is now gone - thank fcuck for that.

Her replacement, Mrs Mogherini (above), is not only much better looking (I know...) but she she is supposed to be much more interested in defense and security matters.

Time will tell....

It's a fair cop - how did we not all notice that she retired 2 weeks ago! Heaven knows how she is going to get by on just 55% of her salary for the next three years even if it is only taxed at the EU special rate. Still provided she doesn't earn more than £134K a year on top of that she should get by on the £400k. You've got to love EU austerity haven't you?

New girl prettier?? Let's compare

baronessAshton_2341824b.jpg

For those about to complain about it being breakfast time and all that - i did consider posting a full size image

It's a fair cop - how did we not all notice that she retired 2 weeks ago! Heaven knows how she is going to get by on just 55% of her salary for the next three years even if it is only taxed at the EU special rate. Still provided she doesn't earn more than £134K a year on top of that she should get by on the £400k. You've got to love EU austerity haven't you?

New girl prettier?? Let's compare

View attachment 183701

Oh, why did I click? Ugh...

Plenty of time to pack his MFO boxes and swan off to Brussels and his reward of a final tour on gardening leave. Clearly no one else wanted it, or his peers don't like him.

From what I understand, the assembled EU CHODs wanted to make sure the job was held by a former CHOD who would understand military issues of that level.

According to sources close to the Greek Ministry of National Defense, Kostarakos was considered a clear favorite in the election, while the other candidates running for the position were a Spanish Admiral and a Finnish Lieutenant General. Earlier this year, he had also applied for the presidency of NATO’s Military Committee, without being elected.

- See more at: http://greece.greekreporter.com/201...f-eu-military-committee/#sthash.IIMKvFwV.dpuf

Is Greece the only country with surplus CHODs?

View attachment 183686

Ashton is now gone - thank fcuck for that.

Her replacement, Mrs Mogherini (above), is not only much better looking (I know...) but she she is supposed to be much more interested in defense and security matters.

Time will tell....
She is relatively young (41) and inexperienced (appointed Italian foreign sec in Feb 2014) for such an appointment, which smacks of EU gender bias and general disregard due to the impotent nature of the role. I shall eat the pie humble if she succeeds.

She is relatively young (41) and inexperienced (appointed Italian foreign sec in Feb 2014) for such an appointment, which smacks of EU gender bias and general disregard due to the impotent nature of the role. I shall eat the pie humble if she succeeds.

And what do you see in Ashton's CV that made her suitable to represent the EU in foreign affairs?

And some people wonder why Britain doesn't profit as it should from the EU!

And what do you see in Ashton's CV that made her suitable to represent the EU in foreign affairs?

And some people wonder why Britain doesn't profit as it should from the EU!
What makes you think the EU should be pissing about playing at foreign affairs, other than then unelected Gordon Brown scuttling in the back door to scribble his mark on the treaty he was too embarrassed to sign in public?

And what do you see in the EU's CV that made it suitable to represent the UK in foreign affairs?

And some people know why Britain doesn't profit as it should from the EU!

Amended for you