New CGS Named

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by in_the_cheapseats, Oct 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

BBC putting the link out

See here

RAF and Navy positions named too.

I hope he does as well as the current incumbent; he has a hard act to follow.
  2. It will be interesting to hear and read what Gen Dannatt has to say to us all when he is free to do so. All credit to him - at least he tried to be honest and open, unlike so many of his predecessors. Somehow I don't think he'll be complementary about the politicians.
  3. He spoke to us a couple of weeks ago and i have to say i was quite impressed. Very down to earth and appeared to be very interested in our opinions. Also brutally honest on a few topics but unfortunately 'chatham house rules' forbid their repetition here.............

4. I totally agree.

I do think the gubment might be getting a few choice words from him once he has been let go.
  5. I don't think that there's any real surprise about the appointment of Gen Richards to the post of CGS. I worked for him some years ago when he was ACGS and struck me as a very down to earth, soldier's soldier.

Good luck to him, I hope he does as good a job as Gen Dannatt.
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Good luck to the new man.

As for Gen. Sir Richard Dannatt speaking out more once he's left the job, I have a suspicion that he will say no more, and no less . . . .

....... until the best military service book in a LONG, LONG time hits the high street book shops, in which the atrocious treatment of our armed forces is laid bare in all its disgusting truth. :twisted:

It'll be an international best seller, and I'll be buying one.
  7. And if the Good Lord spares me, so shall I.
  8. He's spared you this long old fella, a few more years shouldn't be too much of an ask!
  9. :D :D
  10. Shurely shum mistake? Not a double barrel name amongst them! What are the Armed Forces coming to?

11. *Edited for being a complete mong* :oops:

Good luck to the next chap, lets hope he keeps up the pressure!
  12. 2006 - 2009 is 3 years Crazy_Legs. It may be a few weeks short but will be counted as a full tour.
  13. Has there ever been a CGS with a double-barreled name?
  14. I'd certainly agree with the key discussions here around the nature of the hard act General Richards has to follow. General Dannatts' *really* managed very well in this space and I look forward to hearing his choice phrasing on retirement to his farm in Norfolk.
  15. No.

Although one CIGS was double barrelled:

Field Marshal Sir Archibald Montgomery-Massingberd GCB, GCVO, KCMG 1933–1936

He is the only one since 1660 when the post of General-in-Chief Command was first held.