• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

New CGS Named

BBC putting the link out

See here

RAF and Navy positions named too.

I hope he does as well as the current incumbent; he has a hard act to follow.

It will be interesting to hear and read what Gen Dannatt has to say to us all when he is free to do so. All credit to him - at least he tried to be honest and open, unlike so many of his predecessors. Somehow I don't think he'll be complementary about the politicians.

He spoke to us a couple of weeks ago and i have to say i was quite impressed. Very down to earth and appeared to be very interested in our opinions. Also brutally honest on a few topics but unfortunately 'chatham house rules' forbid their repetition here.............

in_the_cheapseats said:
BBC putting the link out

See here

RAF and Navy positions named too.

I hope he does as well as the current incumbent; he has a hard act to follow.

I totally agree.

I do think the gubment might be getting a few choice words from him once he has been let go.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I don't think that there's any real surprise about the appointment of Gen Richards to the post of CGS. I worked for him some years ago when he was ACGS and struck me as a very down to earth, soldier's soldier.

Good luck to him, I hope he does as good a job as Gen Dannatt.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Good luck to the new man.

As for Gen. Sir Richard Dannatt speaking out more once he's left the job, I have a suspicion that he will say no more, and no less . . . .

....... until the best military service book in a LONG, LONG time hits the high street book shops, in which the atrocious treatment of our armed forces is laid bare in all its disgusting truth. :twisted:

It'll be an international best seller, and I'll be buying one.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
basso said:
And if the Good Lord spares me, so shall I.
He's spared you this long old fella, a few more years shouldn't be too much of an ask!

Shurely shum mistake? Not a double barrel name amongst them! What are the Armed Forces coming to?

P-T

I'd certainly agree with the key discussions here around the nature of the hard act General Richards has to follow. General Dannatts' *really* managed very well in this space and I look forward to hearing his choice phrasing on retirement to his farm in Norfolk.

hackle said:
postman_twit said:
Shurely shum mistake? Not a double barrel name amongst them! What are the Armed Forces coming to?

P-T
Has there ever been a CGS with a double-barreled name?
No.

Although one CIGS was double barrelled:

Field Marshal Sir Archibald Montgomery-Massingberd GCB, GCVO, KCMG 1933–1936

He is the only one since 1660 when the post of General-in-Chief Command was first held.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_of_the_Imperial_General_Staff

But what's the deal with grey man Stirrup being extended? Oh, think I've just answered my own question.

Excellent, I think the new CGS will be just as much behind his boys and girls, as the current incumbent.

While I'm sorry that Sir Richard wasn't extended or promoted to CDS , I do not think Sir David will let up on the momentum created by Sir Richard.

Can I take this opportunity to invite CGS to come and have Beer and Curry supper (Busting it am) with a TA unit if he ever has a chance? :D

Blimey AM, you have a point there!!! "Flog them Mr. Christian!"

Interesting that the new CAS hasn't even got a K yet, and has a surprisingly non-operational background.

AM Dalton

Presumably he's very cerebral, and with his CCI/ISTAR and DG Typhoon background is there to steer the RAF into the "new equipment" era. All rather "non-sharp-end" career in recent years, though.

Latest Threads