New Car

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by MotorBrowser, Sep 11, 2007.

?
  1. New Car

24.3%
  2. Used Car

75.7%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pros and cons of buying new rather than used. Alfa Romeo to Volvo. Which one would you go for?

2. I bought my last car 10 months old with 5400 miles on the clock-it had been used by the Garage manager. It was in mint condition and cost me £15000. The same car brand new with all the gadgets (full leather, dual zone climate control, upgraded 17" alloys, heated seats, winter pack etc) was £22500.

As soon as you drive it off the forecourt, you will lose thousands off it. Prior to my current car, I always bought my cars brand new-never again.

Pro's of a new car-err, they're new
    Cons of a new car-you'll lose shitloads.

Pro's of a used car-dirt cheap if you buy a nearly new car
    Cons of a used car-depends on how old you go but I wouldn't go near a used car more than 5 years old but that's my preference-each to their own.

3. I never buy new cars, have had them as company cars, but always buy secondhand for myself. Buy a used car, get at least £2k out the bank in cash, and chuck it out the window as you drive off the forecourt, youll know how it feels to drive a brand new car :D

Oh and I never buy used cars from dealers, price is too high, and they dont roll over as easy as the public :wink:

4. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

For no other reason than I can afford to, I nearly always [since 84?] buy new.
    I like to know that the only cnut who's driven it is me.
    Shredding £££££££ 's is, however, well understood.

However, my three XJ6's were used [1-2 yrs], including an ex-Jaguar Manager's car, but were with full records and a belting guarantee [which was needed in every case].

• Like Like x 1
  5. A very close friend used to be, Head of Sales, 'Jaguar' South East England.

He gave it up because of the poor quality of the cars. In his words, " The only thing that's keeping Jaguar going, is the Parts Dept "

Need I say more.

6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Yup .... for a start, I never saw anything that ate lightbulbs like my Jags. All 3 of them, so not a one-off. One every couple of months, could have been anywhere, didn't matter ... a bulb went. No wonder they came with a "spares kit" in the tool-kit. Nothing else went wrong, but admittedly I moved on every 18 months or so ...

Went like sh1t, though ... lovely way to travel. First one when when I was trading in a Mazda 626 [low mileage, less than 2 years] and was offered "You must be f***ing joking". That's when I got the first Jag ... 2 years old for the same price as a new 626. No contest ... :D

Then, in 94, traded in for a new Jeep Cherokee 4.0L. My son who "inherited" it says [today, by email] it's now on it's last legs, and probably has to go. Air Con long gone, ABS gone, tyre problems [alloy wheels degrading?] ... but that old supersonic house-brick has done well. Rust free, even with body damage going back years ... I'd have another one tomorrow.

7. Have saved at least £10k on the wifes last two Landrovers by buying Exdemo or ex Solihull fleet cars.

I will not buy new as I happen to like my money. 8)

The tax loss on a new car is...... :x 8O :x 8O

If I want a faceless, maurauding, beuracratic animal to spend my hard earned.....I'll give it to the wife.... :wink:

8. Back in the seventies I had a 'post box red' MKII 3.8 with wire wheels, bought it for £15.

Got chased by the coppers whilst driving the 3.8 ( I had a cross ply and a radial on the rear ) but managed to get away though, funny enough.

The quickest trip ever from Pontypool to Abergavenny.. and that's where it ran out of petrol.

9. If you looking for a decent 4x4 - try Brightwells Auctioneers in Hereford. They have a 4x4 auction at Leominster every Tuesday.

Check the website for previous results - you won't get a better price.

10. pros are choice and to a lesser extend warrenty. The cons are depreataion and dealing with niggles. The most rational buy is a car that has lost its first large chunck and has been nicely test run in and test driven. I would proberly buy a BMW if it was with my own money. Well made good drive and hold there value and make decent diesels.

11. My preference......Demonstrator or 6 months......any make as long as it`s German...

12. My preference V.W.Golf for the summer ,Toyota four wheel drive for the winter .

13. Why the hell would you buy either when you can have an Audi...

Get yourself an S4 Avant and live a little! Alfa's for poofs and Volvos are a granddad car!

14. Up until recently have run ancient Range Rovers, replaced every 6 months or so as they fall to bits (generally get your money back Ebaying it)
    Upgraded to slightly newer Discovery's only to find they fall to bits even faster.
    Recently decided to try a Jeep Grand Cherokee, pleasantly surprised to find a month or so after buying it every gadget still works and it hasn't started to corrode anywhere.
    Had 11 Jaguars over the years, no finer way to travel but might as well pour money down the drain.
    Nothing consumes cash faster than a V12 Jaguar (other than Gordon Broon obviously)
    Wouldn't dream of buying a brand new car, not ever. Brand new bike, I can see the wisdom in that but not a car

15. Have a 6 year old Volvo S80 Diesel Auto. Got all the bits on it. Does 48 to the gallon and she's done 166000 miles! Brilliant car!