Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Captain General for Royal Marines.

RTU'd

Old-Salt
Well Andrew did pass the AACC whilst at Dartmouth but he has had bad press for some reason.
Why not give it to Prince George of Cambridge and let him grow in the job, start young and keen?

Civvie cant fly low level??? CAA rules apply to all pilots.

'Nearly killed us...’ NR droop??? Unload the head???

What a load of absolute twaddle.

Bunt a gyro, ie apply negative G and you lose RRPM, as the rotor depends upon airflow going up through the rotor, as opposed to air coming down though a helicopter rotor.

You absolutely do not know what you are talking about.

Terms that absolutely do not relate to gyro rotor dynamics.
Let me try and extend something of an olive branch. I think we're saying similar things, me in how I perceive/describe helicopter rotor heads, you in gyro world. I pushed the stick forward, putting the ac into a negative g condition, thereby reducing relative airflow and allowing the head to slow because, indeed (and I did know this) airflow up through the head drives rotation. Or some such voodoo...

What surprised me is how necessary it was to dive off quite a lot of height to gain speed to then flare which recovered NR (I have no clue whether this is a gyrocopter POF term). I knew it was too much height loss because the cows got bigger and I had a bash on the back of the head not to do that again. More of a safety issue was my persistence on three-point landings.

Civvies can't fly low level (Article 5 of the ANO if I remember correctly) but military pilots can. I wanted to fly the autogyro at Lynx height, but was confined to the vertigo-inducing world of >500' AGL.

You're on home territory with Autogyros and all I've done in my few moments in one is convince myself to invest in something else. A few years ago and deep within Arrse you weren't on home territory when pontificating on the Shoreham Hunter crash. That was some time ago and PA and DA issues are unlikely to trouble you with your chosen aircraft.

So, fly safe and let's make it festive, eh?

Last edited:
A few years ago and deep within Arrse you weren't on home territory when pontificating on the Shoreham Hunter crash.
Flew Lear 24’s and 25’s for a couple of years. Perhaps not too far away.

24 had the same CJ-610’s as the 25 so a pretty hot performance. The 610 was the civilian J85 without afterburner. J85’s powered the F-5’s.

Taught aerobatics. Aerobated Citabria, Stearman, Pitts, Christen Eagle, Chipmunk, and Tiger Moths.

Last edited:
How unusual for stick monkeys to bitch over who has the most luxurious moustache.

How would you know if someone is a pilot?

Because they'll ******* tell you.

Must admit to still liking this one.

This was another fave. Came in a bit before I joined.

Once. Always.

And Meghan is a has been...and has moved over...darling. :)
Sarie Marais - mine too!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Apologies for thread drift:

A few of us were chatting it over one day and the conclusion was that with the enclosed two seaters available nowadays at around 60K - 70K there is scope for some ventures. Not that I intend to do it, but my favourite notion would be an executive taxi service using school playing fileds - no traffic jams and arrange for a road going taxi to collect them from the field and take them to and from their meeting - ideal for the UK.

Also, in your business they are being actively trialled by a couple of US police/sheriffs depts. as a thrifty alternative to very expensive helicopters.

They still fall in the experimental category IINM. No idea how the FAA does things but in these parts experimentals are not allowed to operate over built up/urban areas.

They still fall in the experimental category IINM. No idea how the FAA does things but in these parts experimentals are not allowed to operate over built up/urban areas.

I have no idea, but as you mentioned it I shall get around to having a look sometime.

Major General Julian Thomson RM it seems is another enthusiastic supporter of William as the new Captain General.

Can’t help thinking that he may feel that Harry rather gave up the right by leaving the UK for sunnier climes, and stepping back from Royal duties.

His grandmother Her Majesty has set a pretty high bar when it comes to duty and country.

But as a farewell for Harry, another good one from the Booty Band is this one. Always somehow reminds me of Ireland, although modelled on a Scottish Lament.

Last edited: