Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Captain General for Royal Marines.

arcticfox042

War Hero
The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders used to have an exchange with the RM - one of their officers would go and spend two years with one of the Commandos (42?) on completion of the AACC, and a RM officer would spend two years with the Argylls. Possibly it's been kept on since all the Battalions came under the banner of the RRS.
We had an Argyll officer attached to 42 down south in 82, got hit in the ankle on a night attack and started jumping about. Some said it was a very good highland fling......

When I did my resettlement workshop about running your own business there was a cha there who planned to open an autogyro school. I don't know if he did but it seemed a splendid idea.

Apologies for thread drift:

A few of us were chatting it over one day and the conclusion was that with the enclosed two seaters available nowadays at around 60K - 70K there is scope for some ventures. Not that I intend to do it, but my favourite notion would be an executive taxi service using school playing fileds - no traffic jams and arrange for a road going taxi to collect them from the field and take them to and from their meeting - ideal for the UK.

Also, in your business they are being actively trialled by a couple of US police/sheriffs depts. as a thrifty alternative to very expensive helicopters.

PFGEN

GCM
Nah, the other one I flew in was one of these - although it was all silver rather than a technicolour eyesore.

View attachment 509898

From Tangmere, where the best thermals came from the concrete baking in the sun at the local sewage farm....

Edited to add: nearly lost my instructor out of one of these. He was grimly determined to get one of the two available cables. So he dived into the second cockpit having had a leak somewhere and yelled at the nearby cadets to attach one. His straps still weren't done up when I yelled 'all out'. We got a cable break at about 200 ft, whereupon I slammed the nose down to keep flying speed. My still not strapped in instructor came a couple of feet out of his seat.

EM may have been involved...

Wordsmith
Loads of hours on these and the Kirby out of RN Condor. Bundles of fun and lots of thermals along the coast. In one of the Sedberghs the cable release was a bit sticky necessitating a good kicking at the last minute. Ours were technicolour.

Last edited:

ACAB

LE
And banned by Ursula Von Der Leyen after being in use by the Wehrmacht, Waffen SS and Bundeswehr since 1935. Silly cow. The EU Panzer Korp will have to get another marching song now.

"Panzerlied was composed in 1935.[3] In 2017, the German Army was banned from publishing song books containing Panzerlied and other marching songs by the Minister of Defence Ursula von der Leyen as part of new efforts at denazification"
Isn't that the silly cow who thought equipping German Soldiers with broom handles and only having 4 serviceable aircraft a good idea???

I think it is....

Isn't that the silly cow who thought equipping German Soldiers with broom handles and only having 4 serviceable aircraft a good idea???

I think it is....
It is, and putting creche's in barracks. Her successor - AKK is just as bad. Old Fritz (Frederick the Great) must be turning in his grave.

It is, and putting creche's in barracks. Her successor - AKK is just as bad. Old Fritz (Frederick the Great) must be turning in his grave.
I couldn’t see Sven Hassel making a novel out of that!

exspy

LE
We had an Argyll officer attached to 42 down south in 82, got hit in the ankle on a night attack and started jumping about. Some said it was a very good highland fling......

Lt. Ian Stafford, A&SH, was the 2ic of L Company. He was shot in the leg (ankle) on June 12 during the attack on Mt. Harriet. The L Company attack came under almost immediate machine-gun fire and Lt. Stafford was one of the first casualties. The initial prognosis was not good because his ankle bone had been shattered, however at the time Nick Vaux wrote his book (1986) Stafford was still serving.

Take That Hill! (1986) by Nick Vaux.

Apologies for thread drift:

A few of us were chatting it over one day and the conclusion was that with the enclosed two seaters available nowadays at around 60K - 70K there is scope for some ventures. Not that I intend to do it, but my favourite notion would be an executive taxi service using school playing fileds - no traffic jams and arrange for a road going taxi to collect them from the field and take them to and from their meeting - ideal for the UK.

Also, in your business they are being actively trialled by a couple of US police/sheriffs depts. as a thrifty alternative to very expensive helicopters.

They are cheaper than Helicopters and some very robust designs that would lend them selves to this.

I nearly killed us by over-zealously testing NR droop by unloading the head and bunting it. It took more altitude than I planned to recover. Luckily not as much as I had...
Twat.

Civvie cant fly low level??? CAA rules apply to all pilots.

'Nearly killed us...’ NR droop??? Unload the head???

What a load of absolute twaddle.

Bunt a gyro, ie apply negative G and you lose RRPM, as the rotor depends upon airflow going up through the rotor, as opposed to air coming down though a helicopter rotor.

You absolutely do not know what you are talking about.

Terms that absolutely do not relate to gyro rotor dynamics.

You may be a helicopter pilot,’ retired', but you know f*ck all about gyros.

So ex ‘winged God’ remain with your models.

Walk you dog and collect the poop, and stare out over Salisbury plains, scenes of your glorious past.

Last edited:
Good project, but you need to feed that thing.
It does look a bit lean, and minimalistic, but weight saving in gyros is paramount.

They are very inefiiciant flying machines.

40 years in aviation, over 16,000 hrs, over 30 different types from C150 to 727, checking out on the VC10 when the airline packed up. Gyros have been the most interesting.

Back to basics, Alt, ASI, and a piece of string as a sllp skid indicator, it is seat of the pants and nothing around you.

It has been the last type of flying I have been involved with. Most basic, and greatest fun.

Last edited:
Nick Vaux wrote his book (1986) Stafford was still serving.
Nick Vaux was adjutant at Lympston on my Commando course.

3 of us had failed to get a haircut after the first day from Deal. We frantically attempted to do a last minute attempt trim our heads with a 3 head Norelco Electric shaver. I was last, and time pressing.

On parade down in the drill sheds Inspection. Nick Vaux, he of the bugger grips and SBS fame, pauses behind me, leans forward and says quietly in my ear. ” Moths!!!?"

I was puzzled, but grateful that hell had not erupted.

Later asked a mate what was wrong. He said well you have three what look holes on the back of your neck.

They are cheaper than Helicopters and some very robust designs that would lend them selves to this.

I vaguely remember when we got the BO 105 as the force chopper they reckoned it was a million quid over 3 years. You could buy 12 or 13 Calidus for that.

Watched one at the EAA in Florida more or less do a vertical take off into the wind on a windy day.

Windy day flying is serious fun, and you can then go into helicopter mode.

They can do a few things like loop and roll, but keeping positive G is critical. Jim Vaneck carries them round in a wheelbarrow. Don’t know anyone else who loops and rolls them.

Last edited: