Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Captain General for Royal Marines.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer

The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders used to have an exchange with the RM - one of their officers would go and spend two years with one of the Commandos (42?) on completion of the AACC, and a RM officer would spend two years with the Argylls. Possibly it's been kept on since all the Battalions came under the banner of the RRS.

At the rear of the armed party, to the left of the left hand rank, there is a fully kilted and spatted Scottish officer. What could that be about?
That was a good spot.

Apology but no idea. Possibly on exchange.

I remember my thought on first seeing an RM Adjutant was that he was some Cavalry Officer. Jodhpurs riding boots and spurs. Our mess wellies had spur boxes.

And banned by Ursula Von Der Leyen after being in use by the Wehrmacht, Waffen SS and Bundeswehr since 1935. Silly cow. The EU Panzer Korp will have to get another marching song now.

"Panzerlied was composed in 1935.[3] In 2017, the German Army was banned from publishing song books containing Panzerlied and other marching songs by the Minister of Defence Ursula von der Leyen as part of new efforts at denazification"
IIRC this was about the time the Germans discovered that there were a few pockets of good old-fashioned genuine Nazis in a few units, including one of their SF mobs. They had to do a bit of discrete housecleaning and I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't von der Layen's way of saying, "If you can't be trusted I'm going to takes some of your toys away."

IIRC this was about the time the Germans discovered that there were a few pockets of good old-fashioned genuine Nazis in a few units, including one of their SF mobs. They had to do a bit of discrete housecleaning and I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't von der Layen's way of saying, "If you can't be trusted I'm going to takes some of your toys away."

I bet they still sing it anyway.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
You lucky bar steward I only got this,

View attachment 509692

Not really, something a little more modern, a good few years ago, only wishful thinking now,

This is what I soloed in - about half a century ago...

1601916098819.png

I had the interesting experience of landing while going gently backwards in one of those, when the instructor took me up on a particularly gusty day.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
A lot of the French units that fought in Indochina post WW2 had a fair sprinkling of ex-Wehrmacht soldiers in them - backbone of quite a few units. They enlisted to avoid potential war crimes trials in Germany - as did a lot of French collaborators who thought it prudent to get out of France.

The French attitude was that if they survived the Viet Minh, they'd wiped the slate clean.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
That's blast from the past, did you ever come across a Glider known as the Budgie

Nah, the other one I flew in was one of these - although it was all silver rather than a technicolour eyesore.

1601917620629.png

From Tangmere, where the best thermals came from the concrete baking in the sun at the local sewage farm....

Edited to add: nearly lost my instructor out of one of these. He was grimly determined to get one of the two available cables. So he dived into the second cockpit having had a leak somewhere and yelled at the nearby cadets to attach one. His straps still weren't done up when I yelled 'all out'. We got a cable break at about 200 ft, whereupon I slammed the nose down to keep flying speed. My still not strapped in instructor came a couple of feet out of his seat.

EM may have been involved...

Wordsmith

Last edited:
You're a braver man than I.
And me. I've had a few flights in autogyros and they are great fun but:

1. All the fun is to be had low level and civvies can't fly low level and:
  2. I nearly killed us by over-zealously testing NR droop by unloading the head and bunting it. It took more altitude than I planned to recover. Luckily not as much as I had...

There's one that stooges around here (near Dulverton) at the moment that looks like this one, no body, just the meccano vibe - nails.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Whilst asking a visiting dignitary if it would be possible to have a photo taken, then when they approve, handing them the camera and posing with an oppo is a hilarious thing to do, it seldom goes down well with the grown ups, and can lead to interesting chats.
A few years back I was at a polo match with a matelot oppo.

We’d somehow managed to get into the VIP tent and started taking advantage of the free champagne.

I spot Jodie Kidd over by the bar by herself. I point her out to my oppo, who goes over with a wink and smile and says “hey Jodie, how about an autograph?”

She replies, “oh go on then.”

So my mate whips out a napkin, writes his name on it and hands it to her.

“There ya go love.”

QRK2

LE
The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders used to have an exchange with the RM - one of their officers would go and spend two years with one of the Commandos (42?) on completion of the AACC, and a RM officer would spend two years with the Argylls. Possibly it's been kept on since all the Battalions came under the banner of the RRS.

It's a hangover from the 'Plymouth Argylls' composite battalion in Singapore/Malaya 1941.

I lusted over an autogyro since I watched You Only Live Twice as a kid, met the grumpy bugger who was Ken Wallis - me at an expo knowledgeably twaddling about VW air-cooleds powering autogyros, cough behind me and there he was, "its a Rolls Royce engine young man". He was perfectly fine after that and showed us around and explained things nicely

I found a bloke in Waco who teaches on them and should have been starting when all the covid crap started. Still, there is always next year.

I can see your mate has some serious machining skills, it does look like a good job.
When I did my resettlement workshop about running your own business there was a cha there who planned to open an autogyro school. I don't know if he did but it seemed a splendid idea.