New Camera

Discussion in 'Photography' started by gimpmask, Aug 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any recommendations for a digital camera for general exercise/ops/general stuff use?

Currently have an Olympus Stylus which is great. The problem is recharging the battery. Ideally I want a camera that takes AAs!
  2. Try using the search, loads of information to read through.
  3. Maybe a camera and a small solar charger ?

Digital cameras go through AA's like peadophiles go through Smarties.

Li- ions usually take a LOT of pics before running down.
  4. Yeah, but AAs are easy to come by.

Fuji do some that use AAs, the Finepix S4000 being one. it is relatively cheap, and has a viewfinder which will allow you to see what you are doing even in bright sunlight.
  5. Why not a pocket camera as normal but go on fleabay and buy a spare battery?
  6. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Fuji, can't remember the model but it was the rebadged copy of an Olympus. Stunning wee thing, great lens and ran on 4 aa's. Try googling fuji refurbished some moneysaving stuff there if you hit it right.

Finepix exr something
  7. I personally have a Kodak Easyshare c913 for all my potentially rough / wet etc trips, it seems to (me at least) be bombproof, has been kicked, dropped etc. and still always provides a relatively nice quality image without the worry of taking my dSLR. they are about 30 squid 2nd hand on fleabay i think.
  8. Used this on tour:
    Lumix DMC-TF3

Takes good macro, excellent options to take specific pictures indoors, or sunsets etc. Smash proof, and dust proof.
  9. Also, if you are going anywhere even remotely rough do not buy any camera with a lens that extends/telescopes out when you turn them on. The Afghan dust will probably kill them on tour.