New camera advice

Discussion in 'Photography' started by BrunoNoMedals, Jul 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I'm off on my honeymoon soon and we've been offered a new digital camera as a wedding present so we can take all those lovely snaps of our last happy weeks together. I'm hardly a photographic expert so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to go for.

I need something slim, pocket-sized, but capable of doing decent videos (it is a honeymoon, after all. Giggidy) and enough zoom and panaroma stuff to do justice to things like the Grand Canyon. It also needs to be idiot-proof enough for me to make the most of, so various auto-focus and assorted widgets will be looked on favourably.

The budget is around the £250-300 mark. My first scout around (albeit only on the John Lewis website) has shown the Sony Cybershot DSC-HX7 to be a contender, although I'm a little worried about Sony's attitude to brand-specific memory cards. It says it supports SD but I'd want to see for myself first.

Has anyone used this camera or similar models? Do you have recommendations for similar cameras? All advice gratefully received!
  2. Nokia N8. 12 MP camera - HDTV video output. It's a phone and pocket computer too.
  3. Sony are actually pretty good with their memory cards on cameras- I have a NEX-3: Sony NEX-5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (the NEX-5 is the same but Higher Def and a metal body) and its been amazing- the lens is interchangeable, so a pancake lens on it and it'll fit in your pockets- the screen can be angled to help tale pics over the heads of crowds, the video quality is HD and it take a wide varity of memory cards including SD.

(Taken of the NEX-3: Glasvegas in concert)
    All newer models of Cybershot's are SD compatible mind, so you should be ok.
  4. I'd get one of these
    Olympus TOUGH-8010 Digital Camera - Midnight Black 2.7: Electronics

Means you can do stuff in the sea and sand without worrying whether the camera's going to conk out and images and vid will be good enough for TV viewing. Obviously not as much of a creative tool as a compact system camera or SLR but better if, as you say, you're not an expert and don't plan on becoming one, and just want to get competent pictures wherever you are. Also fullfils the brief of being small enough to stick in a pocket.
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Panasonic Lumix all the way. Leica lenses, terrific sensors.