• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

New Camelbak Motherlode 500 Review

RVOps

Sponsor
Sponsor
We get quite a lot of customer reviews on RVOps which that are a big help in deciding what to stock and recommend. We recently got the new Motherlode 500 in, which we'd heard a lot about, and we got our first written customer review about it, which fully supported our own opinions and what we'd heard.

We thought you might be interested (we'd also like to sell you one of course!) and would appreciate any other reviews and comment, either here on ARRSE or via our reviews section.

"Camelbak have made the latest generation Camelbak Motherlode™ 500 much lighter than the original Motherlode without compromising design, durability, and functionality..... " [more]

thanks to Patrick Haynes for this feedback:

I was impressed with the old motherlode but this blew my world away, I am not a man who is good with words, but I cannot find anything wrong with this, durable, light, supporting, carries all the kit I need to and more, and the fact I can attach whatever I want to it I love this daysack to bits, you are paying for quality and these will last you a lifetime well worth it's money!
We'd be interested in any feedback about the new Camelbak Motherlode 500. Also any comment on whether people are interested in us posting interesting reviews (good and bad) when we get them.

Oh, here's a photo of the ML 500:

Camelbak Motherlode 500 at RVOps

What is Patrict Haynes getting for the number of reviews he is doing??

He has written 5 of the 8 reviews on the page you linked too.

Don't doubt how good the motherlode is, just concerned about the "spread" of review.

I've bought kit from RV-OPS a couple of times. I got an excellent and fast service every time. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

As for the price; if you don't like it don't buy it.

Motherload is a lower spec than the BFM. RV ops are pretty pricey I recommend John Bulls in Catterick . Ref the cheaper UK made version. Exactly it's cheaper and you get what you pay for CAMELBAK are top quality, if you want the best you have to pay for it. Now RVOPS if you can do a BFM at a good price I will send you stacks of trade.

RVOps said:
We'd be interested in any feedback about the new Camelbak Motherlode 500.
I have the larger one (BFM 500) and it's the best pack I've ever owned (self-confessed bag fetish :oops: )

The '500' series are stronger and lighter than the previous versions (I also have an older one)

Quality doesn't come cheap and they are priced competitively (when compared to superior brands such as Kifaru)

(for any sceptics reading, I am not connected to any retailer or brand name)

What are the actual differences in design between the Motherload and the BFM? The 'original' versions of both and the '500' versions of both look pretty similar. Is it just that ones a bit bigger than the other?

BFM is slightly larger (approx 2 inches longer back) than Motherlode, has fixed pouches and is a better radio pack (as the zips extend full length of the pack).

The older versions of each use a heavier cordura fabric which is heavier but wears out quicker than the finer '500' fabric.

The '500' versions have the goggles/NVD pouch (fleece-lined which is useful) as well as slight improvments to volume and weight.

From 1:50 on this Youtube clip describes it better than I can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2otiYuVMSYg&feature=related

Cryptotermes said:
BFM is slightly larger (approx 2 inches longer back) than Motherlode, has fixed pouches and is a better radio pack (as the zips extend full length of the pack).

The older versions of each use a heavier cordura fabric which is heavier but wears out quicker than the finer '500' fabric.

The '500' versions have the goggles/NVD pouch (fleece-lined which is useful) as well as slight improvments to volume and weight.

From 1:50 on this Youtube clip describes it better than I can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2otiYuVMSYg&feature=related
Gotcha. So only difference between Motherload and BFM is size and zip length, and that pouches are fixed. And that newer 500 versions have a different material and a new pocket?

Then there's not really all that much to choose between the 4 surely...
My old NI pack is full to the gills, these look a bit more roomy, hmmm...

motherload for rifle platoon or anyone carrying standard loads, bfm for anyone in support roles ie signaller/cmt/sp weapons etc, either way far better kit then some of the other well known brand comparisons, blackhawk stuff for instance is not as hardwearing as Camelbak and the zips tend to stick after a while.

Or. for those going on ops, you could wait to be issued a nice new 45L Inf Bergan from the nice people in the QMs Stores who are prepared to do you a special deal - free!!!! But no doubt, cos its issued, it is inherently un-ally!

Or. for those going on ops, you could wait to be issued a nice new 45L Inf Bergan from the nice people in the QMs Stores who are prepared to do you a special deal - free!!!! But no doubt, cos its issued, it is inherently un-ally!
You are always a fountain of knowledge GS and you know considerably more than I on procurement and such but to be fair with a few exceptions (hopefully all the crye gear will live up to the hype,fingers crossed) some of the OP's issued kit has been utter shite and camelbak daysacks are seriously good kit.

I'm not trying to defend the undefendeable - I am fully aware there are gaps that need improving but, looking at the priority kit, look how far things have come - Osprey Assault body armour, Mk 7 helmets, Lowa & Meindle boots, new camouflage, new daysacks, man-bags, kneepads etc etc. Things are constantly improving but with limited time and resources it takes time to improve everything - and I am sure you appreciate that.

All I am saying is that spending 100+quid on a (admitedably very good) daysack is something people may want to think about when there is a another very good one now available for ops for free that has been designed with feedback directly from the guys in field.

As a matter of interest then, what is now utter shite?

Latest Threads