New Camelbak Motherlode 500 Review

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by RVOps, Feb 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RVOps

RVOps Sponsor

We get quite a lot of customer reviews on RVOps which that are a big help in deciding what to stock and recommend. We recently got the new Motherlode 500 in, which we'd heard a lot about, and we got our first written customer review about it, which fully supported our own opinions and what we'd heard.

We thought you might be interested (we'd also like to sell you one of course!) and would appreciate any other reviews and comment, either here on ARRSE or via our reviews section.

"Camelbak have made the latest generation Camelbak Motherlode™ 500 much lighter than the original Motherlode without compromising design, durability, and functionality..... " [more]

thanks to Patrick Haynes for this feedback:

We'd be interested in any feedback about the new Camelbak Motherlode 500. Also any comment on whether people are interested in us posting interesting reviews (good and bad) when we get them.

Oh, here's a photo of the ML 500:

Camelbak Motherlode 500 at RVOps
  2. I can recommend the Camalbak BFM. A very good bit of kit.
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

What is Patrict Haynes getting for the number of reviews he is doing??

He has written 5 of the 8 reviews on the page you linked too.

Don't doubt how good the motherlode is, just concerned about the "spread" of review.
  4. RVOps

RVOps Sponsor

Run that by me again please.... is that a suggestion that he's an invention, or that we're hiding something or there is some sort of kit review conspiracy?

That might put your min at rest. We don't write them and we don't sensor bad ones, although sometimes pointless:
  5. £160.....for a day-sack, you must be joking!

My old green canvas duffel style kit bag has never let me down.

G10 for men all the way.

Does this video portray a complete muppet or what

You can get a Maxi-Load 100% UK made for £80, why spend money on the camelbak twice as expensive and made in the far east, though I can understand RVOP's saying its good if they have idiots making videos like this
  7. I've bought kit from RV-OPS a couple of times. I got an excellent and fast service every time. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

As for the price; if you don't like it don't buy it.
  8. Motherload is a lower spec than the BFM. RV ops are pretty pricey I recommend John Bulls in Catterick . Ref the cheaper UK made version. Exactly it's cheaper and you get what you pay for CAMELBAK are top quality, if you want the best you have to pay for it. Now RVOPS if you can do a BFM at a good price I will send you stacks of trade.
  9. I wont, I have no cash left as I have just bought 30 buffs, get f*cked on the service point of view ask the lads at 29 if you want the low down
  10. I have the larger one (BFM 500) and it's the best pack I've ever owned (self-confessed bag fetish :oops: )

The '500' series are stronger and lighter than the previous versions (I also have an older one)

Quality doesn't come cheap and they are priced competitively (when compared to superior brands such as Kifaru)

(for any sceptics reading, I am not connected to any retailer or brand name)
  11. I had a BFM, found it to be too big, if I have space I'll fill it!

Goig to get a motherlode 500, but I think I'll go for a multicam one
  12. What are the actual differences in design between the Motherload and the BFM? The 'original' versions of both and the '500' versions of both look pretty similar. Is it just that ones a bit bigger than the other?
  13. BFM is slightly larger (approx 2 inches longer back) than Motherlode, has fixed pouches and is a better radio pack (as the zips extend full length of the pack).

The older versions of each use a heavier cordura fabric which is heavier but wears out quicker than the finer '500' fabric.

The '500' versions have the goggles/NVD pouch (fleece-lined which is useful) as well as slight improvments to volume and weight.

From 1:50 on this Youtube clip describes it better than I can:
  14. Gotcha. So only difference between Motherload and BFM is size and zip length, and that pouches are fixed. And that newer 500 versions have a different material and a new pocket?

Then there's not really all that much to choose between the 4 surely...
    My old NI pack is full to the gills, these look a bit more roomy, hmmm...