New building for Blind Scottish Veterans

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by northern-matelot, Jun 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Blind veterans in Scotland have a new place they can hang out and not hurt themselves.

Designed for the Scottish War Blinded, the New Linburn Centre has a curved spine layout with a wide, sweeping hallway that is easy to picture in the mind. Guests can grab the railing and use this mental map to make their way from one end of the building to the other. The building is all one level and has low-profile door thresholds, both of which lessen the chance a visitor will trip and fall. Even the paint is specially selected - it's a high-contrast mixture that helps those with limited vision see doorways and rooms.

Besides its accessibility features, the facility is designed for fun. It has a workshop, an art room, and even a gym. Outside, the landscape is filled with a sensory garden and a terraced lawn. It's everything a blind person could want and more."

Well even if those using the place can't see it- it definitely looks like a nice place to go to.

A Beautiful Building For the Scottish War Blind
  2. With my peverse logic,I'd like to hope it is never used.
    Sadly I'm sure it will be.
  3. They are currently located in houses on the site and once the new place is built will be a great benefit to them.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. There's a blind school somewhere here in Paderborn, where they teach you to navigate using a stick and how to read braille. I've seen the signs for the place, I could never work out why they signposted it though........
  5. I pass the centre every day to and from work. Is the new building behind the horseshoe houses? ,because I can't see it from the A71.
  6. Based on what I saw waddling around on the pad's patch, 70% of my Battalion were blind. The APWT scores seemed to support that, too.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. i think it down behind the trees on the left as you look in the estate
  8. Have they got room for one more nutter from Rhyl, with his sweeping of his stick (with a ball on the end) I've seen him fell small children, large children, pensioners, dog's, prams & dented umpteen cars.
    He's hysterical to watch, how he's managed not to have his head smashed in yet is one of lifes great mysteries.