New Britishness Test Is Launched

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MOD_Oracle, Oct 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope that Id's are going to be checked to make sure that "professional exam takers" cannot sit the test INO the official applicant
  2. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Only 12 out of 15, but then again not British but Scottish! :lol:
  3. Sh1t... got myself worried there. Only got 9 out of 15. But there again some of the questions have F' all to do with living in this country. Isn't it being a bit biased if you have to know all about Father Christmas? I thought our country was multi-cultural.

What about questions re: Scotland, NI and Wales? ...oh and Cornwall? :evil:

Laws in the countries which are part of UK are often different. Methinks our Leaders will have to be very careful this test doesn't land them in hot water with the European Court of Human Rights!
  4. I looked at this test - then exercised my god given rights as a member of this fine community to create my own test:

Q. The quinessential art of 'being British' cannot be captured by some ghastly neu-Arbeit test. True, or false?

A. True.

Well, that was easy.
  5. You know, although i am a foreigner, i actually supported a test of some sort in principle.

But, if those are the types of questions they are asking, then really one has to question what exactly is the point of this whole exercise. Also, are they setting the bar too high?

"By what proportion do the english outnumber the welsh and the scots?" - What's the point of such knowledge. I bet large numbers of english people do not know the answer!

112? How many people actually know of the existence of 112?

How about limiting the questions to those on. eg UK Constitutional law, electoral system, etc.

The UK seems to be full of Silly Beareaucrats with their silly self-important appointments sitting in their silly offices thinking up silly ideas to make themselves look busy.
  6. They missed one

1. Do you know where the benefits offices are?

Anyhow, none of it is in text speak, big problems there :wink:
  7. I managed 12 out of 15 but similar to an earlier comment, I'm not British I'm English.

I managed to get the Saints question right although only one really concerns me and no, its not the one when loads of plastic 'Oirish' people get wrecked on their once a year Guinness binge.
  8. I take it some one didn't do so well on the BBC test then? :wink:
    I got 14 out 14 :D - Hand me my shiny new passport then.
    (Actually I am serious - I've been wating quite a while for my new passport to come through :evil: )
  9. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A sudden thought, what about all those of Northern Irish extraction who belong/belongeed to such organisations as IRA etc, technically British but don't think they were ever to keen to accept that label!
  10. Actually, all that is needed is some sort of meter to detect minimal skin pigmentation.
  11. It isn't about skin pigmentation guys, it's about attitude....

One day Greater England shall rise!!!!
  12. Forget the BBC specimen questions. The FT claims to have published the answers to the first set of tests ...

13. Castlereagh vented

Have you applied under the Fast Track scheme Castlereagh? Oh, and I hear his dog likes chocolate treats :evil: