New boots won't shine

Don't encourage defeatism .
Anything can be made to shine given enough time and effort , in the same way that anyone or anything can be taught drill .
I even taught my mother's poodle drill .
I understand your optimism, but I refer you to this phrase in relation to your comment: Anything can be made to shine given enough time and effort.

You CANT polish a turd !

A hot spoon didnt produce aromatic results and i never wanted to touch my polishing cloth again after the first go :)

They're not s'posed to be shiny, end of. Bulling boots was an invention of National Service "Devil makes work for idle hands" kind of thing.

In reality using anything other than the manufacturer recommended polish on their boots is going to knacker them, I know that Leder Gris is expensive but it's designed for the particular leather and processes they use, the same for Hiax etc...
Is dubbin going to ruin my boots then :(

I did bring up that they're field boots and not meant to be shined but I was told because it's such a "high profile parade" that I need them gleaming as I'm representing my battalion to meet the Queen personally.
Wear something else then, for fcuks sake! Think for your self

A pair of "clown shoes", as worn by Greek soldiers in ceremonial kit, will make a great alternative to your Altbergs. And they don't need bulling, just comb the pom-poms on the toes.

They're not s'posed to be shiny, end of. Bulling boots was an invention of National Service "Devil makes work for idle hands" kind of thing.

In reality using anything other than the manufacturer recommended polish on their boots is going to knacker them, I know that Leder Gris is expensive but it's designed for the particular leather and processes they use, the same for Hiax etc...
Leder gris comes in a shiny option, it's called Leder Gris Glos Military Brown.

Leder-Glös®

this really does give a good, hardwearing and bull free finish.

edited to add : no, seriously, it does work when you can't get tornado nose cone paint

Last edited:
You need to lay down layers of polish buffing to a sheen. Subsequent layers will shine deeper until you get to guardsman standard. Plenty polish, water (or spit) and tons of yellow duster rubbing.
I once got a heck of a glass-like shine on a wooden table top by using brasso, a trick taught me by a Sarfie, so not only the old stand-byes, but some old wives tales too. :cool:

I did bring up that they're field boots and not meant to be shined but I was told because it's such a "high profile parade" that I need them gleaming as I'm representing my battalion to meet the Queen personally.
Thank God

I was, for a tiny moment, fearful that fackn eejit drillpigs had somehow forfeited their pre-eminent role in ensuring that the British Army's working practices never advance beyond the reform programme so disloyally implemented by order of Parliament in 1901 or thereabouts.

Latest Threads