New Book Review Up

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Glad_its_all_over, Aug 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So our fellow Forum member Mick Smith has published a rattling good read - "Six - A History of Britain's Secret Intelligence Service - Part 1: Murder and Mayhem 1909-1939".

I've done a review (check it out on the ARRSE front page) but for internal consumption, it's very good indeed. Very well researched and very insightful in analysing the constant bureaucratic bullshit the Service went through in its formative years. It's also very strong on some of the despicable things Service officers got up to in support of a noble cause :D For example, I hadn't known that a Box 850 man was actually (probably, allegedly) present when Rasputin got the good news in such a... comprehensive fashion.

I'll declare an interest - it's only £19.99 but Mick sent me a copy to review, so assume I've been comprehensively corrupted by a £20 bung. Would anyone like me to review a large house in the country, or perhaps a Porsche? Same terms apply.

2. You may be able to get an early proof of the "Intelligence Corps in Op CORPORATE".

Soon to be published, but little relevance today as nobody was deployed down to Unit or sub-unit level.

......................................................................................................................Apart from Lurch, Sandals and Roubles.
    And two other members of the Corps on a Badged sabbatical with THEM.

IIRC, Rodney 2SQ may have had a walk on part as well?

3. Odd that, I could have sworn that Pancho, John and a couple of others were there on the ground as well. Clearly I was mistaken, I was still in the R Signals at that time.

4. Six is £14.42 on Amazon. Smith is a very strong writer. Killer Elite is another cracking read of his.