New book about the Reserve Forces

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Pecavvi, Mar 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    I’m writing a book on the reserve forces on active duty since 1999, i.e. Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan etc.
    I’m interested in any accounts or experiences that any TA, Regular Reservist, RMR, RNR, RAF reservist etc who’ve been on a tour wishes to share.

The focus of the book is to demonstrate how ordinary people give up their lives to do what we do so its not just stories of death defying feat I’m interested in (although they a extremely welcome) but even stuff that you might think is mundane

I’m TA Infantry who’s done tours of Telic and Herrick and to be honest I’m fed up with portrayal of the TA in the media and the sneering reaction I get from regulars and the public, hopefully we can redress this by putting our stories and experiences out there
    Please contact me at the following email for more info:

interesting_times101@hotmail.com

Thanks

2. 1st post begging , nay , gagging for war stories

I think not leetle puppy

3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Why since 1999? TA did tours in Bosnia from '95 if not before. I've also got friends who did NI tours on S types going back into the 80's and no doubt before who are still serving.

I choose to be less cynical than Polar69 - no doubt you would be able to provide proof of your bona fides to any prospective contributors.

4. Pure professionalism what with the hotmail address.

5. msr

msr LE

To be fair, I've had an interesting reply.

msr

6. 1999 was the year the SDR really screwed the TA infantry( smaller, better equipped :D ), nothing before then actually happened in the minds of our political masters.

7. You mean your writing the book?

8. I’m TA Infantry who’s done tours of Telic and Herrick and to be honest I’m fed up with portrayal of the TA in the media and the sneering reaction I get from regulars and the public

Media once portrayed facts everyone who has an 'O' level / GCSE / Common Sense knows that nowadays they make it up to get sales so they get paid. Never met an honest journalist who was interested in printing facts in my life.

Sneering reaction from regulars, you must be bad, the sort of person who gives the TA a bad name.

Or the public get some new friends IMHO

Anyway good luck writing your book; as your no doubt aware you need to contact units and speak to press officers as the rules relating to speaking to the press changed

9. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You obviously don't spend much time on Arrse. Whilst most Regulars appreciate the TA and accept TA soldiers for what they are there is a significant minority who take every opportunity to sneer.

Never mind the general public we have Ministers in the Government who sneer at the TA. The home secratary forgot that sneering at David Davis for being an ex-member of the TA SAS was also sneering at the TA: http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/mail/news/tm_headline=Army%20fury%20at%20Smith's%20TA%20'jibe'&method=full&objectid=19865295&siteid=50002-name_page.html

So personally this strikes me as a worthwhile project if its done properly.

Actually I think we could do with an updated 'Preston Front' with TELIC, HERRICK etc Maybe called - 'Not So Quiet on the Preston Front'.

10. Can you give Sind back, please.

11. 'do they let you fire guns in the T.A?'

one genuine question asked to me by an obviously well informed member of the public.

12. msr

msr LE

"Did they actually give you a gun to go to Iraq with?"

A very highly paid project manager.

13. correct

In bold; who cares what they think, prove them wrong in deed not word

It's been a long time since I have heard an honest member of parliment someone who I would be proud to invite into my home or shake hands with, they are people simply out to further their own pockets and will say anything to increase that effect. They do not speak for me or funnily anyone else I seem to raise this point with. So I'd be interested to find who put them there.

If this is what you believe go ahead and support, I wont

I think the title needs to be moved to somewhere South of Watford other wise it will sound grim before it starts

14. 'they let you go to iraq?'

15. Kingburn_99, you appear to have an issue with the TA, pray tell us of your experiences in the service.... Either as a regular, TA or as an airsoft walt...