New Boiler - electric only - advice please

Morning all.

I've just purchased a small 2-bed flat to let out, and am currently redoing it. The flat is electric only; no gas at all.

Looking at the immersion boiler it already has, it needs to go, as its on its last legs and the header tank is directly above it so there's almost zero water pressure in the kitchen.

What would anyone suggest as a replacement? Same setup but with a different pump, or an unvented cistern type thing, or a combi boiler, or something else?

My plumbing knowledge is (evidently) very limited.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No idea about the boiler, mine is the same as when I bought the place for a holiday let, although I did cut off the boost function for guest convenience.

What are you doing for radiators?

arfah

ADC
I had a similar problem. No gas, just electric and crap water pressure.

Stripped out the old 1960’s era header tank with built in thermostat and the void became a utility space for a washing machine and tumble dryer.

Replaced with an unvented boiler in a small loft space and new copper pipes.

Had a chat with the electricity Nazis and the flat is now on Economy 7.

Massive improvement in hot water pressure! After this, I had an old power shower removed and replaced the separate bath taps with a mixer tap with shower attachment as the water pressure was so good.

The unvented tank is a bit like a self heating thermos flask, the water stays hotter for longer.

Depends on budget, space and accessibility but air heat pumps are efficient and cheap to run electrically.

EDIT: missed out the operative word 'air'.

Last edited:
What space heating does your flat have? Personally I would favour a shiny new combi boiler but you say you are all electric. As it is purely for tenants (paying their own energy bills) why not simply replace existing header tank and cylinder with an unvented cylinder with immersion heater.

Mains water pressure throughout, minimumal plumbing work and more space in the airing cupboard.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
What space heating does your flat have? Personally I would favour a shiny new combi boiler but you say you are all electric. As it is purely for tenants (paying their own energy bills) why not simply replace existing header tank and cylinder with an unvented cylinder with immersion heater.

Mains water pressure throughout, minimumal plumbing work and more space in the airing cupboard.

My own thoughts are, that it would depend on the rental market in the area and how quickly a leccy only and thus expensive, flat would get rented.

So anything that can be done to make utility costs cheaper should be a benefit in the long run.

No idea about the boiler, mine is the same as when I bought the place for a holiday let, although I did cut off the boost function for guest convenience.

What are you doing for radiators?
Electric, they're fairly new. On a timer & thermostat.

My central heating failed shortly after turning heating on for the winter. The boiler still worked but for reasons outside of the scope of this thread, we decided to replace it along with the Stone Age peripherals, one of which had failed. We decided to wait until after half term, when we'd be hosting our granddaughter to avoid the rush of desperate emergency boiler replacements. We chose Help-Link (which we only subsequently realised were an operating company of HomeServe, whom we sent packing years ago, having broken the current (then new) boiler). They would call us on 1 November.

1 November came and went. I contacted them. By mid-November we had a contract. Friday afternoon and the salesman in my kitchen couldn't get through to Installations.

Eventually (edit: after I had called them because they obviously weren't going to bother) I was promised a boiler engineer and an electrician to complete nine hours' work on 30 November. The boiler engineer turned up and I was impressed at how efficiently he replaced the old (but working) boiler with a shiny, new, efficient boiler. That didn't work because no electrician turned up. I went from having hot water and no heating to havong no hot water and no heating. Congratulations.

On the Monday I eagerly awaited the electrician as promised. Eventually after two calls, he fronted up after lunch. He replaced the thermostat and timer and we had hot water again. But the three port valve by the hot tank was broken and had to be manually frigged to get heat into the radiators. Until someone touched the hot tap and the very stiff three port valve switched back to water before the radiators had had a chance to get lukewarm.

The electrician phoned his boss to sign off a new three port valve. I heard the boss agree. By Friday I had heard nothing.

(In total, Help-Link have called me:
  1. To acknowledge my internet interest in a job.
  2. To tell me a salesman would front up tomorrow.
  3. To tell me a boiler engineer would front up tomorrow.
I haven't had any email other than "How well did the salesman install your boiler?" Yes, really. And similar for the boiler engineer. No contract copy. Nothing, nada, zilch. And no paper copy of anything.)

I got onto them, having spent hours going round the electronic switchboard. I eventually got someone to walk to his manager, who signed off the work. It was 4pm Friday. "Someone from Installation will call you by 7pm today."

Yesterday, Saturday, I got through to Installation first time (there was only one girl on, but I doubt anyone had realised they were open). She offered me 21st December. I pointed out how far away that was, how far away I currently am from a working system and they needed to get their act together. I could get a local plumber in far more quickly. She couldn't authorise that. But she has taken ownership of the problem and will take it to her boss at 8am tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath.

Help-Link also do electric boilers. Do you want to guess whether I'll recommend them or HomeServe?

Last edited:
My own thoughts are, that it would depend on the rental market in the area and how quickly a leccy only and thus expensive, flat would get rented.

So anything that can be done to make utility costs cheaper should be a benefit in the long run.
Rental should be ok - on one of the tube lines.

Electric radiators too - see above.

Looks like unvented cylinder is the way forward.

Latest Threads