New Boeing aircraft in the works?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Trip_Wire, Nov 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Boeing testing a blended wing aircraft? New Boeing aircraft in the works? See attached picture.:

Also:

EDWARDS, Calif., Oct. 27, 2006

In cooperation with NASA and the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory, Boeing Phantom Works soon will begin ground testing of its X-48B Blended Wing Body (BWB) concept in preparation for flight testing early next year.

The X-48B ground and flight testing will take place at NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards Air Force Base in California, where two high-fidelity 21-foot wingspan prototypes have been delivered.

The prototypes were produced to explore and validate the structural,
    aerodynamic and operational advantages of the BWB concept. They were designated the "X-48B" by the U.S. Air Force based on its interest in the design's potential as a future military aircraft.

"Earlier wind-tunnel testing and the upcoming flight testing are focused on learning more about the BWB's low-speed flight-control characteristics, especially during takeoffs and landings," said Norm Princen, Boeing Phantom Works chief engineer for the X-48B program. "Knowing how accurately our models predict these characteristics is an important step in the further development of this concept."

X-48B Ship 1 completed extensive wind tunnel testing at the Old Dominion University NASA Langley Full-Scale Tunnel this summer before being shipped to NASA Dryden as a backup to Ship 2, which will be used for flight testing early next year.

In preparation for first flight, the X-48B Ship 2 will undergo ground
    testing to validate its engine- and fuel-system integrity, battery
    endurance, telemetry link communication, flight-control software, and low- and high-speed taxiing characteristics.

The X-48B's three turbojet engines will allow the 500-pound,
    composite-skinned, 21-foot wingspan prototype to fly up to 120 knots and 10,000 feet in altitude during flight testing. The X-48B research project is led by Phantom Works, Boeing's advanced R&D unit, chartered to provide innovative technology and system solutions to meet future aerospace needs.

Cranfield Aerospace, Ltd., in the United Kingdom built the two X-48B
    prototypes for Phantom Works in accordance with Boeingrequirements and specifications. NASA's participation in the project is focused on
    fundamental, edge-of-the-envelope flight dynamics and structural concepts of the BWB, while AFRL is focused on the BWB's potential as a flexible, long-range, high-capacity military aircraft.

Attached Files:

2. That actually looks rather shnazzy.

3. I'm sure I have seen it before in a Thunderbirds episode?

4. I think you may be right there. That or on Captain Scarlet.

5. Looks like it has a VTOL capability as well! ( or at least the 1/48 scale mock up has :D )

6. Similar developments here (click on Image).

[​IMG]

Trip, is there a military role envisaged for this Aircraft?

7. When i was just a wee thing (Tango No Whiskey) this design appeared in the Eagle comic and was supposedley one of the original large passenger aircraft designs that was put before the Truman administration for goverment subsidy the other being the tube with wings type design from Boeing. The flying wing lost as its company had supported the opposition during recent elections even though it was theorectically (spelling?) safer/more fuel efficient/short runway capable. Probably complete bolrocks but thought i'd mention it :D :D

8. Things, Engine/bombs/missiles, are traditionally hung under wing as its the 'Upper' surface that generates the lift. There have been a few exceptions long range tanks on export BAC Lightnings.
    I like the idea of flying 'Wings/Blended body, as they do seem a step forward from the cigar tube with side exstensions.
    However as the strieght 4 dominated motor engines for cost reasons I do think it will be an ultra bold step for any manufacture to produce such a Revolutionary Design as this Proposed Boeing.
    john
    Good luck.

9. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

All I know is what I read and the Air Force Marking on the model.

"Cranfield Aerospace, Ltd., in the United Kingdom built the two X-48B
    prototypes for Phantom Works in accordance with Boeingrequirements and specifications. NASA's participation in the project is focused on
    fundamental, edge-of-the-envelope flight dynamics and structural concepts of the BWB, while AFRL is focused on the BWB's potential as a flexible, long-range, high-capacity military aircraft.

10. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Good start, Norm, you're on the right lines there. :lol: