New bitdefender online scan

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by msr, Nov 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. It says you have to install a plug-in (whatever that is) first. Is that good or bad?

MsG

3. msr

msr LE

On firefox?

4. Aye! Sorry, msr, I forgot to mention that. I was wondering because I recently updated Firefox and it said something about not having to worry about plug-ins anymore. So is it OK to install this plug-in or not?

MsG

5. msr

msr LE

Yes. And if you don't like it, just uninstall it.

msr

6. Cheers a bunch for that, msr. I'll give it a cabby then.

MsG

7. It's total bollox and a scam. There are programmed into the scan an amount of false positives and it then say you have so many dozens of anti somethings and if yu pay us money we will clear them for you even though you don't have them to start with.

Don't ever click on these on line scans, they are all conns.

You can bet it also downloads spyware at the same time.

8. msr

msr LE

And your qualifications, experience and evidence for making this comment are what exactly?

msr

9. Well, I suppose folks go through experiences both good and bad. However, I took msr's advice (because I trust him) and the application said I had no probs on my computer. It still wanted me to buy it, but I believe you may be tarring everybody with the same brush here.

I also phoned one of my brothers about it, since he's a bit of a whizz-kid IT-wise, and he also confirmed that the application's pukka. So I have two fellas, whose knowledge and experience I trust, telling me it's OK, and you telling me it's not, but without giving any specific reason. Have you actually tried the application?

MsG

10. msr

msr LE

When did it ask you to buy it?

11. Your confusing Bitdefender with the POP UP 'you have x infections, scan for free now', that's the con ones.

Most of the reputable AV have a scanner on their homepage, and dont go using pop ups to gain their business.

12. If you're addressing me, msr, it didn't! Sorry if I gave that impression. The application came up with: "no infections found" on a page that showed its wares and, subliminal, recommendation.

As crazy as it may seem, but I've actually signed up, since my livelihood as a professional translator is directly hitched to the internet, so anything that baffles and/or defeats folks trying to cabble stuff up is OK by me.

MsG

13. Thanks msr for all the help

*doffs my cap*

14. msr

msr LE

No worries :) How many nasties did it find?

15. No infection found

But I liked it .... was like going to the pox doctor and getting the all clear, very reassuring