New bit of IDF kit

TamH70

MIA
All the tech and software for this kind of stuff has been around for about 20 years. The clever thing is that someone put it together in a useful package.
Yup - I got a nice prize for the Bertrand Stewart Essay (trip to London, year's membership of RUSI, get pissed with the editor of BAR on Australian champagne, give the CO something to smile at me about, for once...) by predicting stuff like this, back in the very early 1990s. I'd suggest that it's only really been feasible as a dismounted infantry tool for the past five years, mainly because of power demands and battery life. Longer if you were looking for an AFV fit.

Basically, look at paper processes that I thought could be automated, look at the developing tech, look at what some firms were bidding to fit into Arty OP vehicles, but suggest that within a reasonable time period we'd be fitting it in a rifle sight.

Next step is that when you take up first pressure / fire a shot, you generate an automatic sighting / contact report: current grid, plus range (from a rangefinder) and a bearing: job jobbed. Target marking within the rifle section stops being "half a hand left of the bushy-topped tree" and starts being "watch my virtual tracer".

Throw in the ability to keep or share a photo; so that Pte Eagleeyes can insist that yes, honest, it was a bloke with a gun in that window, no I'm not making it up. Or that Pte F can say "yes, he was holding a weapon when I shot him". Or so that on the ranges, you can prove that Pte F***knuckles isn't actually aiming off for wind when he pulls the trigger.

Technology is going to change soldiering, hopefully make it easier.

Yup - I got a nice prize for the Bertrand Stewart Essay (trip to London, year's membership of RUSI, get pissed with the editor of BAR on Australian champagne, give the CO something to smile at me about, for once...) by predicting stuff like this, back in the very early 1990s. I'd suggest that it's only really been feasible as a dismounted infantry tool for the past five years, mainly because of power demands and battery life. Longer if you were looking for an AFV fit.

Basically, look at paper processes that I thought could be automated, look at the developing tech, look at what some firms were bidding to fit into Arty OP vehicles, but suggest that within a reasonable time period we'd be fitting it in a rifle sight.

Next step is that when you take up first pressure / fire a shot, you generate an automatic sighting / contact report: current grid, plus range (from a rangefinder) and a bearing: job jobbed. Target marking within the rifle section stops being "half a hand left of the bushy-topped tree" and starts being "watch my virtual tracer".

Throw in the ability to keep or share a photo; so that Pte Eagleeyes can insist that yes, honest, it was a bloke with a gun in that window, no I'm not making it up. Or that Pte F can say "yes, he was holding a weapon when I shot him". Or so that on the ranges, you can prove that Pte F***knuckles isn't actually aiming off for wind when he pulls the trigger.

You'd hope, wouldn't you. I did an MSc. in GIS back in the 90's, doing the clever thing and combining other data with mapping data and using visual display's was a brand new science back then. For our dissertations we were more or less having to fight off bank's and the top end consultancy's with long shitty sticks. I however, saw some military potential knowing that compared to what I could offer there was nothing out there in MoD hands. I approached RMCS, Geo and SF Directorate with solid ideas for useful aplications. They were that willing to grasp new technology I ended up doing a consultancy for Barclay's as my dissertation. It saddened me, still does, when I look at the stuff we were knocking out as desktop projects back then just because we could compared to what people are using in the real world today.....there is a 20 to 25 year lag.

Last edited:
@loofkar is the location of that fibua village secret ? ( Apart from the thousands of IDF who cut their hands and bruise their knees there every year )

We'll need more leccy than before.
The new load out is 12 mags 5.56, 100 7.62 gimpy link and 200 AA batteries.
That and the solar panel helmet .

@loofkar is the location of that fibua village secret ? ( Apart from the thousands of IDF who cut their hands and bruise their knees there every year )
Not secret. It's by the Tse'elim land forces training base in the south of Israel. In the article at this link there's a vid of the artist tasked with creating realistic graffiti all around it, working as squaddies trained around him.

החדשות - צפו: כך הפך בסיס צאלים לשכונה של חמאס בעזה

Last edited:

Bravo_Bravo

On ROPS
On ROPs
Optical magnification device that displays intel data with the visual image.

To be issued to standing army company and platoon commanders by the end of the year

Can't say I like the look of the digitized intel hovering there but I suppose it could be very useful

V high tech kit, yet they're using phone lights to illuminate maps... :)

Ranam already ? Promotion comes fast!
May he see neither danger or harm.
1st Sgt to be precise, promotion is fast in the mill of conscript service. Cheers for your good wishes, I wish him the same on his current post-army trek through SE Asia.