New bit of IDF kit

Optical magnification device that displays intel data with the visual image.

To be issued to standing army company and platoon commanders by the end of the year

Can't say I like the look of the digitized intel hovering there but I suppose it could be very useful

For that to work like it does, surely some secret-squirrels have planted sensors/transmitters in the target locations?

Cheeky monkeys.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
For that to work like it does, surely some secret-squirrels have planted sensors/transmitters in the target locations?

Cheeky monkeys.
Not necessarily. GPS/positional data on your position combined with existing map data culled from a number of sources - Google, drone overflights, stand-off observation, CTRs.

ugly

LE
Quick translation, "the big X means we know exactly which hospital the terrorist scum are firing rockets from!"

Fire mission Brigade!

Not necessarily. GPS/positional data on your position combined with existing map data culled from a number of sources - Google, drone overflights, stand-off observation, CTRs.
I could understand the more prominent buildings being identified automatically via their shape etc, but really low-profiled buildings were also being tagged. To avoid unnecessary mistakes being made, I would have thought some secret transmittery thing would have been the favoured option.

But I know nothing about it at all, and am almost certainly wrong.

I could understand the more prominent buildings being identified automatically via their shape etc, but really low-profiled buildings were also being tagged. To avoid unnecessary mistakes being made, I would have thought some secret transmittery thing would have been the favoured option.

But I know nothing about it at all, and am almost certainly wrong.
The red X says "infantry", the red horizontal thing "sniper", the triangular red flags "command", the red arrow with the circle "short range antitank".

On the left in blue one says "antitank", and the other "engineers" and further to the left "command" and these (per the narrator) three (plus the blue X in the centre) denote friendly forces.

Last edited:
In theory it is not very difficult to do. Geographic data for GIS mapping purposes is either; point, line, or polygon and along with size attributes it can have other data attributes, ie height, purpose, specific name. Line's, used for roads, tracks, path's, etc, can also be given a bi-directional attribute, this is useful if a road is two way and each side has different speed limits.

With this widget if it contained a GPS to reference it's own location and direction of view it would be relatively easy to display data for points of interest that are in front of the widget. I notice that the widget seem's to display distance to object, again not difficult if it holds the GIS data and use's the GPS to fix it's own location.

All the tech and software for this kind of stuff has been around for about 20 years. The clever thing is that someone put it together in a useful package.

Cheeky monkeys.
Or overlaid from C4ISTAR-acquired data, correlated with geolocation.

As @Effendi says, technically not that challenging - assuming a robust network, reliable geolocation and some intelligence at the sensor end, the technology's there. I imagine you could feed blue force tracking into it as well and perhaps present it as a HUD on a helmet visor as well.

What's the betting, of course, that in UK service it would require unique batteries, for which no spares or extras wee procured and one charging station per battalion?

In theory it is not very difficult to do. Geographic data for GIS mapping purposes is either; point, line, or polygon and along with size attributes it can have other data attributes, ie height, purpose, specific name. Line's, used for roads, tracks, path's, etc, can also be given a bi-directional attribute, this is useful if a road is two way and each side has different speed limits.

With this widget if it contained a GPS to reference it's own location and direction of view it would be relatively easy to display data for points of interest that are in front of the widget. I notice that the widget seem's to display distance to object, again not difficult if it holds the GIS data and use's the GPS to fix it's own location.

All the tech and software for this kind of stuff has been around for about 20 years. The clever thing is that someone put it together in a useful package.
You have it in a nutshell - from what the narrator said, "Spring", the system depicted in the video is a replacement for "Hunter",the current system, which does indeed suffer from limitations. The narrator mentions that in addition to enemy and friendly assets on land, the system shows air assets. He also mentions it facilitates "operational chat" between forces and reduces the chances of blue on blue.

As @Effendi says, technically not that challenging - assuming a robust network, reliable geolocation and some intelligence at the sensor end, the technology's there. I imagine you could feed blue force tracking into it as well and perhaps present it as a HUD on a helmet visor as well.

What's the betting, of course, that in UK service it would require unique batteries, for which no spares or extras wee procured and one charging station per battalion?
As an FYI and an aside to the subject on hand: A bit like those IR illuminators that SF wear on their gear and helmets. The older style version had a battery of a particular size which was only, I repeat, only available from the manufacturers agents at very much wonga. Then some enterprising young man threw a multimeter across the terminals, got a mate with a lathe to knock up a sleeve which externally measured the same as the expensive batteries and internally, funnily enough, measured the same as a AA battery. Buggered if it didn't work.

As an FYI and an aside to the subject on hand: A bit like those IR illuminators that SF wear on their gear and helmets. The older style version had a battery of a particular size which was only, I repeat, only available from the manufacturers agents at very much wonga. Then some enterprising young man threw a multimeter across the terminals, got a mate with a lathe to knock up a sleeve which externally measured the same as the expensive batteries and internally, funnily enough, measured the same as a AA battery. Buggered if it didn't work.
TM Troop 18 Sigs justifies its existence as LCpl Fucknuts produces the goods.