New Bishop for the Armed Forces

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Litotes, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Daily Telegraph has reported that the Archbishop of Canterbury has installed Dr Stephen Venner as Bishop to the Forces.

The report does not yet appear to be on-line.

2. Is he Chaplain-General to the Army? Or is that position, like most of our old regiments, extinct?
    Isn't Venner a very emotional man? Shame if he bursts into tears while talking to his military congregation.

3. The Bishop to the Forces (Anglican) and the Bishop of the Forces (Catholic) are civilians representing their respective churches to the military community. The Chaplain General is a military appointment and he is ranked as a Maj Gen, although never refered to as such. He is Archdeacon to the Army and the Principal RC Chaplain is Vicar General (Army). :D
  4. So what does he (or she) do then?
  5. Bishopy things...
  6. If he was to get smacked in the gob would the charge read " ..... in that you bashed the bishop on the night in question..."

I'll see myself out.
  7. made me laugh!! :D
  8. Fiddle with altar boys?

Not so many of them in Inf Bns I imagine!
  9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

He's not, er, erm, gay by any chance is he?
  10. What gives you that notion?
  11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Oh, no reason, no reason at all. I just wanted to be sure that his needs and inclusiveness requirement was met, and he wasn't oppresssed in any way. It's a new era you see.
  12. Do serving personnel still have to do that ridiculous Diversity ATD/ITD whateverthefuckthey'recalledtoday?
  13. For a moment I thought General Dannatt's new posting had been made public.