New bike for off and on road.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm in the market for a new treader after a few years away from them. Looking at the £500-£750 range, both hybrid and mountain bike. The thing that's causing a bit of confusion is the new gearing set ups, in the past I've used from 21-27 gear bikes, but some of those I'm looking at are offering Shimano 1x10 or 1x11 gearing cassettes and reckon that they are just as good as the old 21-27 gear set ups, does anyone have any advice to offer on thhis?

£750 will get you a classic montessa trials bike and the quiet admiration of biker chicks. ( oh you didn’t mean that, god knows!) sorry

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
£750 will get you a classic montessa trials bike and the quiet admiration of biker chicks. ( oh you didn’t mean that, god knows!) sorry
Sorry mate, I'm a Lambretta fan.

Isn't that a bit pricey for riding on the pavement?:)

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Isn't that a bit pricey for riding on the pavement?
Strange as it may seem, I've never ridden on teh pavement, I save that for inbreds, kids and f'kin mouthbreathers, plus I don't dodge through red lights although I might succumb to giving a few smombies a scare when the don't stop on the pavement as I'm hurtling through.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Strange as it may seem, I've never ridden on teh pavement, I save that for inbreds, kids and f'kin mouthbreathers, plus I don't dodge through red lights although I might succumb to giving a few smombies a scare when the don't stop on the pavement as I'm hurtling through.
I have gone back and put a smiley.
We do seem to be plagued by it around here, with full spec off-roaders.
I have come to dread the tour de france on the telly, lycra in all its glory on the pavement.

Last edited:
Strange as it may seem, I've never ridden on teh pavement, I save that for inbreds, kids and f'kin mouthbreathers, plus I don't dodge through red lights although I might succumb to giving a few smombies a scare when the don't stop on the pavement as I'm hurtling through.[/QUOTE ]

From the cut of your jib, you sir sound a fine upstanding citizen you should consider one of these at least you'd be able to see over vans etc
penny-farthings-waterloo-bridge.jpg

I have gone back and put a smiley.
We do seem to be plagued by it around here, with full spec off-roaders.
I have come to dread the tour de france on the telly, lycra in all its glory on the pavement.
I personally think the MAMIls should be force red all the extra pollution they cause.
There you are bombing nicely down an A or B road at 55 when you are now down to 15mph.
Work your way to the front and there is a MAMIl holding everybody up with a smug smile on his mug.

Only thing I would look for is a hardtail with front forks that can lock. I was amazed at the difference it made going up steep hills to have a rigid front fork compared to the energy wasted bouncing up and down previously.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Only thing I would look for is a hardtail with front forks that can lock. I was amazed at the difference it made going up steep hills to have a rigid front fork compared to the energy wasted bouncing up and down previously.
Looking at that already, especially as it'll probably be used more on road than off. Disc brakes also a must have.

Looking at that already, especially as it'll probably be used more on road than off. Disc brakes also a must have.
Not necessarily in my experience unless your off road bits have really steep downhill sections. Mechanical disc brakes don't offer much better braking than V brakes and more annoying to set up and replace pads. Hydraulic disc brakes are much more powerful but I find a bugger to service myself without introducing air bubbles into the system.

Having said that I haven't actually used my mountain bike for over a year so am probably talking out of my arse.

I have a Boardman Pro mountain bike with hydraulic disks that I bought second hand about 8 years ago. I haven't had to touch the brakes once in all that time, despite having had to put new gear cables on it.

I've heard mixed reports about the new 1x11 gearing setups. Best thing is to research reviews yourself and choose the gearset carefully on that basis. I recommend Bikeradar as a place to start.
Reviews - BikeRadar

I'm in the market for a new treader after a few years away from them. Looking at the £500-£750 range, both hybrid and mountain bike. The thing that's causing a bit of confusion is the new gearing set ups, in the past I've used from 21-27 gear bikes, but some of those I'm looking at are offering Shimano 1x10 or 1x11 gearing cassettes and reckon that they are just as good as the old 21-27 gear set ups, does anyone have any advice to offer on thhis?
I ride a rock rider 6.3 BTwin (27Speed Disks (reasonable* Front ) and rear suspension

Its a Decathlon own really - cant fault it - was sub 500 euros (and to be fair reviews suggest it was a loss leader ands a much better bike than the price suggests)

It does the job I cycle 20Ks each way to college 3 times a week and I chuck it round forests

Only problem I ever had was the suspension in the front forks didn't work - however since I had cycled 40Ks to the garage through ice snow and rain it was minus something and they've worked ever since - I put that down to everything being frozen -

Oh and I couldn't select some gears - but again dislodging the ice in the gears sorted that.

I would consider something of that ilk - unless youre going hard core

*Cheap fronts can be gash

Latest Threads