New Belfast Westlink flooded!Norn Iron really is boggy..

Opps,Looks like the planners screwed the pooch on this one! Torrential rain was forcast last week & you would think that with the floods in England,the planners would heed warnings.

Norn Iron sinking fast...

Traffic chaos is predicted for Monday after the Fire Service warned it could take 24 hours to clear flood water from a main commuter route into Belfast.

At 1300 BST the Broadway underpass on the Westlink was under 20m gallons of water.

Andrew Murray from the Roads Service said the underpass would probably not be open on Monday and contingency plans were being put in place.

At least five cars are thought to be under the floods.

Motorists were forced to abandon them as the water rose.

Mr Murray said: "The water is being pumped out as fast as we can get it pumped out.

"But unfortunately it looks as though the underpass will not be open tomorrow morning and we are currently doing contingency planning for that."

He said a pumping station was in place which should have been able to cope with the flow.

However, the Clowney river overflowed into the site and the reason for that is under investigation.

On Sunday, the fire service said they were managing to reduce the water level by about six inches every hour.

But a spokesman warned that it could take 24 hours to get the water out of the underpass and that was not allowing for more rain.

He said the service was pumping 7,000 litres of water per minute from the road.

'Overwhelmed'

Sinn Fein Upper Bann Assembly member John O'Dowd said the authorities were unable to cope with the conditions

"We were on the ground from about four o'clock in one area in Lurgan, which actually flooded last Tuesday," he said.

"We couldn't get sandbags, we couldn't get anybody from Water Service, Rivers Agency, to take any action.

"They were overwhelmed themselves and there didn't appear to be any coordination at all."

It was certainly a bit moist. I towed a couple of cars out of a wee puddle down the road (river?) from my place; some people think that the higher the bow wave they generate, the quicker they'll get through the water...

Driving home from work last night on the A2 was a bit hairy.Despite the torrential rain & surface water,some penile extensions were still driving like idiots!!I could feel my little Pug slipping a bit on the road.
It's nice & sunny in the Dee today but I gather the's more heavy rain on the way.

Perhaps the Norn Iron goverment should have a road sign like the one in my sig block!

Stilts

That'll probably be the height of their action! Certainly cheaper than a lot of digging and concrete. I wonder whether this will be reflected in the BMAP?

Steve Nolans show has been interesting (in no small part cos Dennis Murray is standing in for the lardy boy). I have to say I felt limited sympathy for the people who had installed new kitchens despite being flooded 14 months previously. Optimism triumphing over critical thinking.