New Battalion for the London Regt?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Line_Grunt, Oct 9, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. IS this rumour true? :eek:

If it is when are they appearing on the scene?

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

From what I hear (and I hear quite a bit) the answers are, unfortunately:

No

Never.

What would we do with them?  There's no role for the TA PBI we've already got!

3. I suspect it might be a rumour started by the Green Jackets in the hope of reforming 4RGJ.

4. Well if we must reform an Infantry Regiment,I can think of one or Five.......  ;D

5. Anything, but no bloody flack jackets please. ;D ;D

How about disbanding 51 Highland  and reforming 3BW ;D ;D ;D, 3 Highlanders and 7 A&SH

6. Noooooooooo 51 Highland has the history.....

What would you have to do, to get a Regiment re-formed? Would you need to provide MOD/Land with proof you can at least raise another two companies from local interest, or what?

7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Easy to get a Regiment re-formed:- Find it a role!  

The reason we got the chop last time was because there was no role for the TA Infantry - and there still isn't, apart from BCR.  Those who do survive are there because of a desire to keep a 'footprint' in certain areas, rather than any real Military reason.

And no, post 9-11 doesn't count - there is certainly not enough there to justify a spread of Bns around the UK.

Sad, but true  :'(

8. I heard a buzz that the Londons are sending a Platoon(+) or Company(-) to Baghram Air Base as force protection for the Sappers working there.  I understand some other TA Inf have done or are doing the task now.

9. i think it is still just a rumour but a good idea

10. It is true that a TA Pn+ is out there at the moment providing protection for the sappers.

The unfortunate thing once again is that they all had to volunteer, the govt didnt have the balls/finance to mobilise them so there has already been muttering about the fact that they could only muster x number of volunteers when really just about the whole bn would have been leaping into their bergens had they received the guarantee of a job to come home to.

please mention if you think I keep banging the same drum here chaps ;D

Humph

11. Well it didn't happen - but you did lose the Jackets who went off to pastures new.

So tell me this - has life in the Londons improved? Are the Guards taking you into the fold and letting you play with their train set? Do you miss having someone to look up to (Jackets :wink: )?

12. Weren't the Londons supposed to be having a more inclusive relationship with Foot Guards now they are in the H Div? I'd be interested to know how thats going??

13. There is a cold dark room in the Tower armouries - that's where you'll find the Londons crying for the Jackets to come back........... :twisted:

14. There was a lot of that sentiment in another southern company when told they were leaving the Borg Collective for somewhere better....