New Bank Holiday For remembrance day

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ar6739, Feb 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Number 10 Downing Street has approved a petition that was launched requesting a new public holiday
    falling on the Monday after Remembrance Sunday in November each year.

To be known as the National Remembrance Holiday, it's got three aims:

1. To emphasise the remembrance of those servicemen and
    women who have given, and continue to give, their lives for Britain

2. To remind people of the importance of protecting our
    Nation and what it stands for;

3. To break that 3 month period between the August Public
    Holiday and Christmas when there are currently no long weekends, especially as
    the UK has fewer public holidays than most European Countries.

If you agree to the idea, please sign up to the petition -
    it doesn't take long - and it would be great if you were to forward the link to
    other people as well. If you are not interested, just hit the delete key. This
    is not just about another bank holiday, but more importantly about having a
    designated day to remember all those people that sacrificed their lives for our freedom.

THIS IS A NOTABLE PETITION THAT THE GOVERNMENT HAVE ASKED
    FOR PLEASE SIGN IF YOU WANT AN EXTRA BANK HOLIDAY.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/remembermonday/

Once you have completed the form on line, you have to wait for the email
    response and click on the link to register your vote

PASS THIS ON

2. Vote winning sh*te, by a struggling, inadequate oaf, appointed, but not elected, as a 'prime minister'.

(Let us destroy the Armed Forces, and then rub salt into the wounds by having a 'Bank Holiday' for 'our brave servicemen and women'.

A national vomit is permitted.

3. Thanks, but no. That's what Rememberance Sunday is for - the deaths of millions should not be cheapened 'to bring us into line with other european countries,' nor for cheap political points by the one-eyed Stalinist in power. Have you forgotten what happened when the Tories mentioned actually helping the troops in their Annual Conference? Suddenly Gord was shaking hands in Basra. I never, EVER want to see the headline on a commercial

"Hurry down to the IKEA sale this Rememberance Monday!"

4. Millions have died down the years and those millions are very often the young, innocent offspring of working class families. This proposed bank holiday is in urgent need of 'rebranding'.

It should be dedicated to the people of this country who offer up their lives in defence of it. And that's it. Forget the union jacks, the proud history, the battle honours and the military associations. There aren't enough statues around this place dedicated to the struggle of working class people.

Going to war and fighting and dying is and always has been a very real part of that struggle. It should never have been highjacked by the aristocracy and their pathetic lickspittles - those who bang on about nationhood, and serving the queen, but usually take careful steps to the rear when it comes to fighting for it.

5. Dito to most of the above

Rememberance Sunday is exactly that.

Lets not supersize it and totaly demean it.

6. I will deliberately NOT observe it because it will just end up a long week end for the general public to do whatever they fancy and so lessen Rememberance Sunday
    [call me cynical but I believe that is this governments intention anyway]

7. Signed the petition with my “signature” as: “This is a cheap political stunt”.

Was going to suggest that the idea be ridiculed as at,

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Disband-the-Army/

However, with already 401,266 signatures (as at 2025hrs Tuesday 05FEB08), I think we can look forward to the idea being adopted.

8. I agree, Remembrance Sunday should be the time. Do NOT cheapen it with a Bank Holiday. I will NOT sign the petition.

9. Thanks for all your comments guys, I thought that I was the only one to think that this was just the FAT GUYS way of getting some more votes

10. Could you please fcuk off and die?

11. Sounds like a good idea to me - as long as everyone not in HM Forces has to also give a day's pay to the RBL, I see it as a good thing!

What, that would never go down with the great unwashed? Fcuk em, let em go to work on Monday!

12. Just to add and agree with what all ready been said.

Fcuk off

Keep it as is. The general public etc only want an extra holiday because the EU has more than we do and its a 'long time' between them at that time of year.

13. I still believe that the remembrance activities should take part in the middle of the working day, if 11 November so falls in a given year. Those who died were to put it mildly inconvenienced by their sacrifice. We that are left should not be offered a nice easy long weekend regardless of when the 11th falls.

I am totally convinced that most people would just go "oh goodie, another duvet day. I think I've heard of remembrance - wasn't he that Dutch painter....small Guinnesss please landlord..."

14. bank holiday monday means people will go away from Friday until monday, to the masses what happens on the sunday will be irrelevant as they will be out and about on a mini holiday/weekend break.

15. Frenchperson, never a sombre moment when you're punting crap like this around, eh?

Your post gave me my first belly laugh of the day, funnier by far than the frankly hilarious lezzers thread from Cernunnos. Well done, keep it up!