Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners

soleil

War Hero
"Royal Navy Submariner Trainees across the country have been recognised from Friday, September 25 with the presentation of a set of unique training dolphins.

Traditionally the Gold Dolphin badge has been the mark of a qualified submariner. First presented in the 1950s, the current badge – which depicts two dolphins and an anchor with a crown – was introduced back in 1972.

Up to now, those joining the Submarine Service have had no insignia recognising them as Submarine Service trainees. But from now, the men and women undergoing initial Royal Naval training who have chosen or have been selected to join the submarine service will have the right to wear their own version of the dolphin badge.

The new training dolphins are a similar size and design as the traditional gold dolphins but are black in colour.

Being presented with the first set of training dolphins at HM Naval Base Clyde were the students of the current SMQ class who received them from the Head of the Royal Navy Submarine Service, Commodore Jim Perks.

"The introduction of the submarine training badge marks an important step in the career of those choosing to serve as submariners.

The badge will rightly recognise the progression within the Submarine Service from trainee to fully qualified submariner.

Training dolphins will increase our Service’s visibility within our training establishment and potentially increase the number of volunteers.

With the skills and knowledge, they will attain going forward, they will turn their training badge into gold.

Commodore Perks"

While the new badge was presented at Faslane, trainee submariners across the UK were also receiving theirs.

All new entry officers and ratings on streaming submarines at Britannia Royal Naval College and HMS Raleigh will be eligible to wear the badge, which will better recognise career progression and mark entry into the Submarine Service."

Last edited:

soleil

War Hero
TrainingDolphins2.jpg

I'm glad to see that the important things are being prioritised at this time.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Black dolphins are going to look good on 'best' parade uniform, whatever it is called these days.

Excuse my ignorance..........I am assuming that the bloke at the front is the OC, or similar, of the school. What are those yellow shoulder boards, and what is the rank he is wearing?

Cdre Perks has tattoos? I can't imagine he was a DE offr with those tattoos when he must have joined, nor that he'd have had them done once commissioned. Nor can I imagine that as head of the submarine service, he was commissioned as a SR.

So, my guess is he joined as a basic matelot, and went the commissioned route in his early years of service. Anyone confirm?

Excuse my ignorance..........I am assuming that the bloke at the front is the OC, or similar, of the school. What are those yellow shoulder boards, and what is the rank he is wearing?

He's a Commodore. Flag Officers have fancy shoulder boards, as well as the normal "rings".

Cdre Perks has tattoos? I can't imagine he was a DE offr with those tattoos when he must have joined, nor that he'd have had them done once commissioned. Nor can I imagine that as head of the submarine service, he was commissioned as a SR.

So, my guess is he joined as a basic matelot, and went the commissioned route in his early years of service. Anyone confirm?
I'm probably wrong... but he looks like the bloke who takes the submarine commanders course on a series on Amazon prime. "Perisher" I think it was called by them. It wasn't a bad series tbf. The course called him "teacher". He decided if they qualified to command a submarine. To the uneducated (me), it looked a very high pressure course.

I'm probably wrong... but he looks like the bloke who takes the submarine commanders course on a series on Amazon prime. "Perisher" I think it was called by them. It wasn't a bad series tbf. The course called him "teacher". He decided if they qualified to command a submarine. To the uneducated (me), it looked a very high pressure course.

Showing you age, I watched that series too. Putting them under pressure, both hunting , and being hunted at periscope depth.

I knew a couple of through the ranks RE officers back in the day who were located in an "out of the way" posting and used to joke that they were there because they were not real officers, and they also had tattoo's.

Edit to add: I've just used google and found that Commodore Jim Perks started his career in the RN on the lower decks.

Last edited:

soleil

War Hero

I've read before that he joined as a Writer in 1984 and was selected for BRNC in 1989.

soleil

War Hero

Deepster

Swinger
Okay I'll bite, I really cant see the point of this - more instant recognition for the woke generation?

Being qualified and safe on board should be enough incentive to work hard for the real thing.....

Chef

LE
Showing you age, I watched that series too. Putting them under pressure, both hunting , and being hunted at periscope depth.
Edited for brevity.

I watched that, any course where failure means leaving that branch forever is deffo high pressure. probably a good filter before the course even starts.

I used to know a bloke who drove a sub on those courses and reckoned it to be great fun getting to lob all sorts of problems into the mix for the students to sort out.

Pompeyexpat

Swinger

You’re absolutely correct. Jim Perks joined as a Writer and commissioned as a submarine Warfare Officer. I was on Sovereign when he did his own Perisher (and can confirm those tats are gash, but these days there are DE Officers joining with tats or getting inked after joining).

wafubustard

War Hero
I fail to see the importance of another version of the kissing skippers badge.
In This time of budget cuts are these badges really needed.

I guess the Silent Service is not quite so silent with these badges screaming "Look at me!"

Does that mean they also have to draw propellers on their arses in permanent marker until they qualify for a tattoo, or is that just the Americans?

Latest Threads