New B/W Printer recommendations.

philc

LE
Looking to replace a next to useless HP Colour Printer with a B/W Printer, I don't need colour however I do need to scan. Am thinking either Epson or Canon, advice gratefully received.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Morgan Computers usually have good deals, and usually do deals with a few sets of toners thrown in. haven't bought anything from them in a good while but never any problems when I did.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Depends on budget for an MFD....how often will you be using? if infrequent printing then an inkjet is probably not worth it - although cheaper you can end up spending more on ink as they dry out really quickly if not usd for a while. What sort of volumes for scanning? If it's jusst a couple of pages then a flatbed would be fine, but if you are talking multiple pages then an auto sheet feeder is a huge time saver.
Colour laserjet aren't as expensive these days. Do you need wi-fi conectivity, or just usb connection? Will you be the only user?
Canon iSensys series have had excellent reviews. I just bought one of those a few weeks back.

Fed up buying cartridges so I bought an ecotank printer. Has small tanks you fill up with a big bottle. Quite a few around, I bought 2nd hand so cheaper. Has worked out really well for me, doesn't dry out quickly either.

endure

GCM
If you're cheap you can also get Brother cartridge refills which cost half as much as a new cartridge too.

Depends on budget for an MFD....how often will you be using? if infrequent printing then an inkjet is probably not worth it - although cheaper you can end up spending more on ink as they dry out really quickly if not usd for a while. What sort of volumes for scanning? If it's jusst a couple of pages then a flatbed would be fine, but if you are talking multiple pages then an auto sheet feeder is a huge time saver.
Colour laserjet aren't as expensive these days. Do you need wi-fi conectivity, or just usb connection? Will you be the only user?
Canon iSensys series have had excellent reviews. I just bought one of those a few weeks back.
I have to agree with the laser printer suggestion. I've got a black and white laser printer made by Samsung which I have had for years (somewhere between 15 and 20 at a guess) which I only use to print a few pages a month. I have replaced the toner cartridge I think only twice, most recently just last year.

I am much happier with this than I was with ink jets. Although an ink jet was cheaper to buy, cartridges were expensive as they tended to dry out and clog up even if not used much. I was even keeping the ink cartridges in plastic bags when not in use to help make them last longer, and even that had its limits.

Consumer grade ink jet printers are typically sold at break even or even at a loss because the printer company knows that the real money is in selling you replacement ink cartridges.

This isn't a problem with a laser printer as the toner is just a powder anyway and so won't dry out. A single cartridge can last for years if you don't print much. Generally the replacement toner cartridges will have several times as much toner in them as the originals that came with the printer.

So, a black and white laser printer can cost more to buy than an ink jet printer, but you make that back fairly quickly on savings in ink / toner even if you don't print very much.

I've read somewhere that my Samsung laser printer was actually made by Brother, but I can't confirm that. If my current printer dies then if I couldn't get another Samsung then my second choice would be Brother, based on what I've read about them.

Last edited:
Had 2 Epson 3-1...first one XP-212...current one XP-4100. both have a small footprint,both easy to set up (wi-fi or usb) cheaper to run than a Canon. Epson scanner is excellent,If you don't want top range photo repro...go Epson !

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
I have to agree with the laser printer suggestion. I've got a black and white laser printer made by Samsung which I have had for years (somewhere between 15 and 20 at a guess) which I only use to print a few pages a month. I have replaced the toner cartridge I think only twice, most recently just last year.

I am much happier with this than I was with ink jets. Although an ink jet was cheaper to buy, cartridges were expensive as they tended to dry out and clog up even if not used much. I was even keeping the ink cartridges in plastic bags when not in use to help make them last longer, and even that had its limits.

Consumer grade ink jet printers are typically sold at break even or even at a loss because the printer company knows that the real money is in selling you replacement ink cartridges.

This isn't a problem with a laser printer as the toner is just a powder anyway and so won't dry out. A single cartridge can last for years if you don't print much. Generally the replacement toner cartridges will have several times as much toner in them as the originals that came with the printer.

So, a black and white laser printer can cost more to buy than an ink jet printer, but you make that back fairly quickly on savings in ink / toner even if you don't print very much.

I've read somewhere that my Samsung laser printer was actually made by Brother, but I can't confirm that. If my current printer dies then if I couldn't get another Samsung then my second choice would be Brother, based on what I've read about them.
Agreed - I had an Epson Inkjet/scanner for about 15 years, but over the last 5-6 years or so printing a lot less than just the odd page here and there (usually a return label or somesuch stuff). EVERY BLOODY TIME I would have to replace the cartridges after two or three pages as they had dried up. Nothing wrong with the printer, just didn't use it often enough. Glad I've got the laser now.

Fed up buying cartridges so I bought an ecotank printer. Has small tanks you fill up with a big bottle. Quite a few around, I bought 2nd hand so cheaper. Has worked out really well for me, doesn't dry out quickly either.

Those are brilliant. Mate got one for his shop, it probably prints 150-200 A4 per day in receipts (the shop is a motor factors) for the trade. The printer was a couple of hundred quid, but well worth it.

After about a year the waste ink pads became saturated. One of the shop guys took it apart and rinsed them out (took him ages!) and I downloaded a reset utility (cost about £6). Filled it up again with ink, good as new.

What paper do you use with a laser printer
If you have some sort of photo-reproduction printer that needs special paper then I can't help you there. But for bog standard printing of letters and the like
I just use standard office paper, as it is normally made for laser printers and photocopiers. Most places should have some. I don't worry about buying any particular brand, especially as since it's a commodity the store won't stock the same brand consistently.

I generally go by where was it made (so I can pick one that was made in my own country), price, and make sure that it's the right size. The latter may seem obvious, but some of the bargain brands are repackaged sizes from a standard elsewhere in the world (I'm not sure from where) that my printer's tray is just slightly too short to handle, and so causes feeding problems.

Someone else can give you a recommendation for brands available in the UK (which is where I assume you are). I don't print a lot, so I end up buying paper only every few years. I just happen to need to buy a new package any time now.

If you're worried about environmental aspects of paper production, then just mainly worry about avoiding ones that are made in tropical places such as Brazil or Indonesia where the forest industry is a result of chopping down the rain forest.

1627128398677.png

My Brother laser printer doesn't like Tesco-brand paper. Constant feed problems. I only bought it once as it was all I could get my hands on. As said above, pretty much any office paper does the trick.

With so many people working from home at present, even my local petrol station sells it. Xerox and HP.

I'll add to what I said previously with regards to printer paper. One of the advantages of a laser printer is that the vast majority of printer paper made is designed to work well with a laser printer (and photocopier, which is the same printing technology), because that's the sort of printer that is in nearly all offices and so constitutes the bulk of paper sold.

So long as you avoid buying utter crap or paper that is not to size standards that your printer is built for then you should be fine.

Latest Threads