New Australian GSM for Korea

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Benjamin1876, Mar 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anybody noticed that the Australian Govt has now decided after 57 years, that Australian soldiers who served in Korea after the Armistice in 1953 are going to be given a new medal, the Australian General Service Medal for Korea, and then if they have no other operational service, the Returned from Active Service badge, this giving them the entitlement to the other various benefits that are given to those with operational service. At this stage I must wonder how many of them are still alive, those that are will be well into their 70s at the least, so another case of too little and too bloody late.
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Still shedloads more than we do for ours.
  3. I thought all commonwealth troops got the same Korea medal (yellow with 2 blue stripes) ? - did the aussies not get the UN medal for Korea?
  4. The clue is in after 1953, no open hostilities!
  5. ....of course - my bad!
  6. No open hostilities, but Australian troops lost another 25 killed after the Truce, so I guess with a bit of research you may find that British units lost even more, because they had far more units in Korea after the truce than we did, and good to see that their service, non operational as it was considered previously, has now been recognised. Most of my instructors in recruit training in the mid 50s were veterans of the Korean war, many also WW2, and a few just wore the UN ribbon awarded after the truce, so if they are still alive, they will get another gong.
  7. That's good news for the recipients that they have decided to give a medal for post-armistice service in Korea. Those who made the decision have obviously decided that the conditions at the time justify it.

The number of casualties was given as part of the arguments for bringing in the medal. But I'm always a bit uneasy when those campaigning for medals seek to justify it by number of casualties. The Australian Dept of Defence give the number of servicemen killed post-armistice in either Korea or Japan as eighteen, some of those died of illness some in accidents, none as a result of hostile action.
    Only five were buried in Pusan, Korea; the remainder in Yokohama, Japan.

Eighteen deaths over a forty-one month period is probably on a par with any period of peacetime soldiering at home, or abroad.

Of course these guys who died deserve to be commemorated on Rolls of Honour and so on, they were sent there and they didn't come back.

But accidental deaths and illness, shouldn't, in my book, be used as grounds for others to get campaign medals.