New attack method on Iraq Helis

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jonwilly, Jan 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 8O Inventive little buggers aren't they?

The method used to target/ambush the Dust-Offs appears to be something they copied from the VC playbook- or the Discovery Channel.

2. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Ahem....DERA were working on Anti helo mines back in the 90s...so I imagine their Chinese and former Sov bloc colleagues ditto....these sound impro'd by some clever Baghdad Uni physics grad?....and if you're a pilot with 160th SOAR then I guess that's probably welcome news.....

3. I saw a picture of a Soviet/Russian anti-helicopter mine years ago. It looked like a gigantic Claymore mine.

NTM

4. How the fook can you get a IED to jump 50ft!?

5. Ah, the old "rusty artillery shell and loads of bungees" ploy.....

Maybe they put the IED on one end of a see-saw and then jump onto the other end when the helo goes over,

suicide bombers on trampolines?

6. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

7. I imagine on the old Teller mine principle, or possibly a creative interpretation of Mortar apogee?

However, I'm sure we're not going to discuss exactly how it's homebrewed, using only an old bottle of washing up liquid, sticky back plastic and a surplus telly are we.....

Voight-Kempe , I now need to get coffee off my screen. Quality mental image :D

PTP

8. Do it right and you don't even need the sticky back plastic.

s.

9. It does beg the question as to why these helos fly routes predictable enough to allow the enemy to haul such devices up to the roof and be fairly certain they'll get a result. Or do they have lots in place and hope to get lucky ? Either way, it's not an advert for a peaceful Iraq. Flying higher is presumably out for fear of MANPADS - do the US not trust their defensive aids systems or are there so many out there it's too risky ?

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Nice Gazebo Old Bloke....wanna give us disingenuous dummies a clue ?

Obviously an Arms fair.
    Obviously a company stand.
    Obviously a COTS example of exactly what we're discussing here?

Whose inventory right now ?

11. This is probably well known to all here, but I may as well dust off my hard-won tech knowledge...

AHMs use various sensors to detect low flying helicopters, as you can see in Old_Bloke's picture. Each type of helicopter has a unique rotor pitch, so the on-boards sensors on the mine can determine the type, and fire a fragmentation warhead in their direction using a 'booster' charge. I have no idea how realtime 'blue-on-blue' issues are catered for - probably a Ground/Airspace Control issue.

The primary function of an AHM is to force helicopters to fly at higher altitudes where they can be engaged by traditional anti-aircraft weapons, but their genesis lies in area denial in the jungles of Vietnam, as Crab points out above.

The theme of area denial has been taken up by the latest generation of mines that launch a secondary warhead over the area before firing an EFP down onto the target. Completely off thread I know, so I'll get my coat.

12. sounds like vietnam - the septics being out smarted by a bunch of ragheads.

13. Not shure that's how most people would express it. I believe it's simply further validation of the Darwinian nature of insurgency.