New ARRSE server

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Bad CO, Mar 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

For those who are interested, ARRSE currently runs on two servers:

1. A relatively fandango database server that we recently purchased.

2. A pretty old web server that fell over last week for reasons that remain unclear. This function is now being provided by a 'spare' server that our hosts ( are kindly providing.

After some debate we've decided that the web server was reaching the end of its usefulness. We've decided that the way forward is to get a new one and those kind chaps at Dell are going to be doing the honours. We're not sure when it will arrive (approx 2 weeks). We hope that it will significantly improve site speed though particularly during the day when it gets quite busy.

As always we'll keep you posted but there may be some minor disruption when we get round to switching over.
  2. No technical specifications like last time Bad CO?

Still a top site though, keep it up :D :D :D
  3. Thanks Boss,

Still proving more popular than ever.........and still loving it!

4. Good stuff! 8) Thank you!
  5. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

The site is glacially slow tonight - any particular reason?
  6. hmmm could this be why i'm having so many problems tonight?

all night its either "page not found" or its taking anything up to a minute (possibly more) to load a page.
  7. Bad CO, just as a matter of interest what size server is it? I suspect your storage requirement is... well, large.
  8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Storage requirements are actually quite low and whatever size the hard disks are (I don't know off the top of my head), it is enormous in comparison with a thin Linux install and the site. The database for the site is about half a GB.

What the site needs is a lot of processor power and a respectable amount of memory - every page that's requested means a lot of activity for the database. One of the current servers is new and runs twin Xeon processors, the other is old with a single celeron, but will be replaced shortly (new one on order).