New Arrse Android App (v 1.1.3) - Testers wanted

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Feb 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

The new version of the ARRSE Android app is attached, with the following bugs supposedly fixed:

Application is stopping unexpectedly when clicking on few threads

Force close when accessing private messages

Crashes when clicking blogs editor Options button

Home screen is not getting updated with the latest entries of Blogs,Threads and Articles

Unable to view attachments

Error on registration with required fields

Can't upload avatar via android app.

Testing appreciated before I upload to the market. I can't do any fine tweaking by the way, except for colours. This is an off-the-shelf app from the makers of our software. Once we're used to it we can put in feature requests, bug reports and so on, but for now it comes down to "yes, it's good, publish it" or "no it doesn't work on my XYZ, using Android x.x, because...."

I should add that I haven't been able to try this myself. If whoever does the first install could confirm it is actually 1.1.3 and not 1.1.2 then I would be grateful.

download here

as attachment didn't work
  2. Will this work on my Google Nexus, running Ice Cream Sandwich? I'm new to Android, so any help as to where to put it on my phone would be handy.
  3. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

I've a samsung tab gtp1000
  4. I just tried to download the attachment using Samsung galaxy S. Message came up download unsuccessful
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

The whole point of the thread is that I don't know. It should do, but I'm hoping you'll tell me.

As for where to put it, the easiest way for me is to download to my PC, connect to the phone, and install via the sync software that comes with my phone. If that all sounds like a pain and you aren't confident to fiddle, then I would leave it for now and wait until, hopefully, we publish it to the market.
  6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

and do you like it?
  7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

mmm... see what you mean. Works on a PC but not on the Android emulator I'm using. Hang on
  8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

There are a couple of bits of advice online for direct download to phone - go to settings->applications and allow unknown sources, or use an app
    tAttachApkInstaller. I'm pretty sure that someone said the former works when we tested the [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif]previous[/FONT] incarnation of this app, but I have to go now so can't confirm.
  9. I got an unsuccesful transfer via bluetooth
  10. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Comes up as content unsupported.
    The Samsung is the paperback shaped model as opposed to the ipad clone. I figured it would be more pocket friendly. Wrapped in an otterbox case. It works a treat. It's fast (hooks up quicker than the laptop). Screens good (if I did games on it). No Torygraph App, Current arrse app is a little stited. Battery life ok. Sound quality for music is great, the supplied headphones are the best OEM I've ever had and with a lot of lateral thinking you can transfer itunes to it. Downloaded books are all readable and it takes Spotify, it does exactly what I wanted. Although Santa may have spotted it on Amazon at a lot less than list price.
  11. Changed Android settings to allow installation of non market applications. Same result. Download unsuccessful. Untitled Failed. Unfortunately cannot tether this brick to the PC so will try a few other ways.
  12. My Galaxy nexus is in an Otterbox Commuter case. It's quality.
  13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

14. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Now got it on my own HTC Desire on A2.3 and working well, fast and seems really good. Definitely better than the actual site for simple browsing on my phone and way ahead of the mobile theme.
  15. Samsung Galaxy S2, Android 2.3.5, download failed. Installed that tAttach blah installer, made No difference.

Edit: caveat: I am a technology biff and new to smartphones.