New Army webpage

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by WhiteHorse, May 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,
    Is it me or has Army web site changed and is now full of broken links?

Any idea whats going on and how long the changes will take?

2. All favourites now don't work and the search feature is wa.nk.

Who did the change over - Same lot that did Heathrow T5? :p

3. It's been on the cards for a while - article in Soldier a few months back. All units will have to change the format of their website to match certain requirements - will be interesting to see how long/how much it takes.

4. msr

msr LE

And as for the MLRS - has anyone told 101?

msr

5. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

New site, new content management system went live yesterday - about 4 months later than expected. For reasons that are not clear (to me at any rate) it was decided to do it all in one bang rather than allowing it to be built up first and then the old pages to be migrated over. That's why lots of links are broken!

Some Corps have chosen to do a redirect to their old site from their new home page while they are waiting for the new pages to be built/approved. While this is not the way it should be, it's the best option for those webmasters smart enough to think of it!

The words complete fcuking Horlicks do spring to mind but then this is how the contractor apparently wanted it done so that must be Ok then....

To get to pages on the old site (likely to remain for some time) put the figure 2 immediately after www and before the dot.

6. msr

msr LE

So worth hanging back if we are planning a re-design of our regiment's pages then?

msr

7. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Worth updating the existing content if out of date apparently (as usual) but if planning a radical redesign I suggest you speak to your Corps webmaster first as he will know how many pages are being allocated and what features won't work with the new site (Flash movies anyone?)

8. I like the 5th paragraph on this pageTA History

Is it me or is someone sticking the boot in?

9. That is utter tonk! We had our webpage redesigned last year and it was live on the system having been approved by whoever does that. Looking at it now, it has gone from a smart, clear, commercial looking site to one knocked up by a 14 year old while listening to metalica in his bedroom.

Will the Army refund the development costs - unlikely. Nothing like looking professional in the eye of the public. Utter tosh. :x

10. .......

11. Wow. About 10 years ago, that design may have (just about) cut it.

I wonder if this website has been developed internally? I can't imagine that a web design firm with the ability to win that job would produce that site.

12. You're surely not accusing the Army of taking shortcuts to save money, are you? I mean, what previous actions could possibly make you jump to that conclusion?

:D