• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

New Army vehicles

Today whilst out for my run I was passed by 4 of her majestys finest MAN trucks and then by 4 of her bestest ninja fighting landrovers.

Made me come over all moist it did, what with those vehicles and the others I've seen on the telly in Afghanistan ....well we might stand a chance of the empire surviving to 2010

:p

VOR? Can you PM me details.

We've got a load of those MAN trucks, they look pretty good. The guys down MT seem to like them, but not been in one myself yet.

There's absolutely shed loads of the new MANs at Ashchurch (awaiting delivery to units I assume).

They're massive! Look much better than the old Beddicopters and DAFs too.

polar69 said:
Aha ! this is what I saw

You remember those stories of Sioux warriors muttering imprecations over the rims of thier rawhide shields to turn back the bullets of the whiteman...?

Works just the same - only the indians are on the other end of the range on this one.

jimmys_best_mate said:
There's absolutely shed loads of the new MANs at Ashchurch (awaiting delivery to units I assume).

They get delivered from MAN factory in Vienna and go to Marshalls in Cambridge for cargo bed fitting/painting, Fluid Transfer for the tanker variant. I think the winches/cranes fitment are done in Vienna as well.
They then end up at Ashchurch in the MAN shed to get final inspection then go next door to the MOD shed to go through acceptance inspection. But some then go back out to another MAN shed to get armour stuff on! 8O

They are bigger but this gives increased payload and the ability to carry all the stuff that is bolted on for Ops.

Man at MAN may correct me on my 1st paragraph but it is near as.

CH512O said:
jimmys_best_mate said:

They get delivered from MAN factory in Vienna and go to Marshalls in Cambridge for cargo bed fitting/painting, Fluid Transfer for the tanker variant. I think the winches/cranes fitment are done in Vienna as well.
They then end up at Ashchurch in the MAN shed to get final inspection then go next door to the MOD shed to go through acceptance inspection. But some then go back out to another MAN shed to get armour stuff on! 8O

They are bigger but this gives increased payload and the ability to carry all the stuff that is bolted on for Ops.

Admit it, you've got a big smile on your face now and a stirring in your undertrunks. 8O

Tell you what ma\te, see 4 of each in convoy at speed and you'll think nothing can stop the RLC

Apart from a butty van of course :p

fas_et_gloria said:
polar69 said:
Aha ! this is what I saw

You remember those stories of Sioux warriors muttering imprecations over the rims of thier rawhide shields to turn back the bullets of the whiteman...?

Works just the same - only the indians are on the other end of the range on this one.
I saw 2 on a low loader going up the M5 the other day, in a nice sandy yellow colour

dingerr said:
CH512O said:
jimmys_best_mate said:

Admit it, you've got a big smile on your face now and a stirring in your undertrunks. 8O
Mock you may, but i was getting paid to do this to MP's and Journalists...better than freezing your butt off in Caaanada!! :wink:

That is me driving in both shots, and not some publicity shot which i nicked, although they do appear in some civvy magazines!

Serious question:
Has anyone smashed one up yet?

Edit: Either by accident or for (uhh hum) trial purposes.
SK

BiscuitsAB

LE
bangalore said:
fas_et_gloria said:
polar69 said:
Aha ! this is what I saw

I saw 2 on a low loader going up the M5 the other day, in a nice sandy yellow colour
Sweet baby Jesus and the holy host of Angels.

What a thing of beauty. Is it standard fit to have the AGL and the 50 Cal?

can I have one fer me birthday?

SKJOLD said:
Serious question:
Has anyone smashed one up yet?

Edit: Either by accident or for (uhh hum) trial purposes.
SK
A MAN driver trashed the front end of one early on in the Project. Was repaired. And there were the odd scrapes going through Eelmoor Training Area but none were smashed up as far as i was aware.
As for the in-service vehicles ask Brecon and Sandhurst, they were the 1st ones to get the Cargo variants.

Mr_Deputy said:
desperately trying to find fault in those pics of you driving but CANNOT grr
does look like the windown might be open a little in the first one - three up in the cab...a few frrrt fumes in there maybe??
Window was open, as some of the hills at Millbrook are fairly savage so going down them, with full load on the back, tends to make passengers touch cloth so to speak! :twisted:
As for 3 in the cab, there was, all legal and correct though! :D

CH512O said:
That is me driving in both shots, and not some publicity shot which i nicked, although they do appear in some civvy magazines!
I hate to say that the high-viz vest does seem to negate the value of the OD paint job.