New Army recruitment campaign

How far are we from some government scheme being implemented to “reimburse” parents of 16-18yr olds who join, with a monthly benefit based upon rent/housekeeping they may have received from their offspring, had they not joined up and still lived with parents whilst working?
I don’t see the requirement but bugger me it would be an incentive.

Some parents drop their children off at places like AFC Harrogate because they will no longer be a strain on the household budget. Some don't even drive through the gates.
The realities don’t need to be accounted for- just like how the “maternity grant” funded many extra nights out for women of a certain ilk. It insentivised them to get pregnant!

How far are we from some government scheme being implemented to “reimburse” parents of 16-18yr olds who join, with a monthly benefit based upon rent/housekeeping they may have received from their offspring, had they not joined up and still lived with parents whilst working?
Probably as far as we are from some form of government scheme to "charge" the same parents with a monthly tax based on rent / food / maintenace / internet they may have paid for their offspring had they not joined up and still lived with parents whilst at school.
Some parents drop their children off at places like AFC Harrogate because they will no longer be a strain on the household budget. Some don't even drive through the gates.
... and some of the dim, drug-crazed criminal parents may not even have cars,... probably spending it on smartphones and data packages instead.

Probably as far as we are from some form of government scheme to "charge" the same parents with a monthly tax based on rent / food / maintenace / internet they may have paid for their offspring had they not joined up and still lived with parents whilst at school.
... and some of the dim, drug-crazed criminal parents may not even have cars,... probably spending it on smartphones and data packages instead.
That's quite an axe you have to grind there.

Probably as far as we are from some form of government scheme to "charge" the same parents with a monthly tax based on rent / food / maintenace / internet they may have paid for their offspring had they not joined up and still lived with parents whilst at schoo
That could make the scheme self-funding. Those on benefits receive the extra benefit, those paying income tax have their tax code adjusted.to reclaim the money they save.

That could make the scheme self-funding. Those on benefits receive the extra benefit, those paying income tax have their tax code adjusted.to reclaim the money they save.
Many are likely to be on both - and since it costs 90k to train a Junior it would hardly be self-funding. I had assumed this was started in jest, but sometimes it's hard to tell given some of the posts here.

Last edited:
Many are likely to be on both - and since it costs 90k to train a Junior it would hardly be self-funding. I had asumed this was started in jest, but sometimes it's hard to tell given some of the posts here.
Many people thought the latest ad campaign was actually a spoof too!

Many people thought the latest ad campaign was actually a spoof too!
Rather like 'Don't Join the Army'!

FWIW I agree (as I think everyone does) that the Army sites are cr@p, but to be fair I don't think they're any worse than many others such as the Police or Fire Bde's, and they're a whole lot better than the RN and RM's which are really cr@p. I can't think of any possible reason, for example, why you have to register and log-in to use parts of the site, and it's quite possible that could be off-putting to some - either due to 'Big Brother' syndrome, or because they might feel that as one of the 'without an e-mail address / dim / drug-addled / criminal / D-E / poorest 10% / etc' part of the population the Army doesn't want them.

I've got really serious doubts about whether it's actually bad enough to put anyone off or if improving it would get any better results from those genuinely interested. Why would it?

It obviously wouldn't result in any more 'hits' as you can't know a site's bad until you go to it*, and if someone can't navigate it, if necessary with a bit of help from a friend or at an ACO, then it's better they don't clog up the system as they'd have serious problems operating even very basic infantry equipment (PRR, ATGW, mortars, GPS, maps, log sheets, etc).

It's cr@p but it's not difficult, and however much VSOs may play the numbers game the Army would be far better off without those who lack the perseverance or wit to navigate the site. The Army may well need donkeys who can carry heavy weights, but it really doesn't need a recruit who can't count down from 10 to 0 (10, 9, 8, 7, 6, etc, as one of mine couldn't) or a Joey Essex who can't tell the time with an analogue watch or tie his shoelaces in a bow, and the sooner they're put off or weeded out before they clog up the RPP, Capita, medicals, referrals, trg depots and units the better.

However much the sites could be improved, those who have problems with them are identifiably the wrong people for the Army. Why would we need more of the wrong people?

*: if someone's put off the Army by just being told 'their site's cr@p' without even taking the trouble to check it out for themselves, then they really are the 'wrong people'.

You can get 9gb of data, 300 minutes and unlimited texts on a 1 month contract for 10 quid a month

Rather like 'Don't Join the Army'!

FWIW I agree (as I think everyone does) that the Army sites are cr@p, but to be fair I don't think they're any worse than many others such as the Police or Fire Bde's, and they're a whole lot better than the RN and RM's which are really cr@p. I can't think of any possible reason, for example, why you have to register and log-in to use parts of the site, and it's quite possible that could be off-putting to some - either due to 'Big Brother' syndrome, or because they might feel that as one of the 'without an e-mail address / dim / drug-addled / criminal / D-E / poorest 10% / etc' part of the population the Army doesn't want them.

I've got really serious doubts about whether it's actually bad enough to put anyone off or if improving it would get any better results from those genuinely interested. Why would it?

It obviously wouldn't result in any more 'hits' as you can't know a site's bad until you go to it*, and if someone can't navigate it, if necessary with a bit of help from a friend or at an ACO, then it's better they don't clog up the system as they'd have serious problems operating even very basic infantry equipment (PRR, ATGW, mortars, GPS, maps, log sheets, etc).

It's cr@p but it's not difficult, and however much VSOs may play the numbers game the Army would be far better off without those who lack the perseverance or wit to navigate the site. The Army may well need donkeys who can carry heavy weights, but it really doesn't need a recruit who can't count down from 10 to 0 (10, 9, 8, 7, 6, etc, as one of mine couldn't) or a Joey Essex who can't tell the time with an analogue watch or tie his shoelaces in a bow, and the sooner they're put off or weeded out before they clog up the RPP, Capita, medicals, referrals, trg depots and units the better.

However much the sites could be improved, those who have problems with them are identifiably the wrong people for the Army. Why would we need more of the wrong people?

*: if someone's put off the Army by just being told 'their site's cr@p' without even taking the trouble to check it out for themselves, then they really are the 'wrong people'.
John i fear engagement because you’ll resort to ad hominem sarcasm, but....

You have to look at the website as an AFCO. Put it on a side street and no one will find it unless you drive people there, which is what the adverts are for.

Paint it badly in unattractive colours and people won’t enter. Leave it unmaintained and you’ll create an air uncaring dereliction. People won’t enter.

Once you have them through the door, if there’s no welcoming reception, people will walk straight out. If the brochure racks are empty or full of out of date brochures, people will linger a while and then go.

And then when someone finally gets to show interest, if the recruiting Sergeamt says “sorry I haven’t got the form, go next door and they’ve got it” people will walk out.

And that’s exactly what the recruiting website does.

But it doesn’t stop there; the recruiting Sergeant was rarely able to fully recruit a soldier on first walk in. So the guy walked out, needing to come back with documents, to go through vetting, medical etc etc. all the way along that path, he’s got alternatives. His mates are taking the piss, his girlfriends upset and his mum’s in tears. So the communication after walk in has to be shit hot. He’s also nervous and wants to know more, so he reads the brochures etc that he’s been given. Maybe drops by the AFCO for some more. But they’ve run out or give him something on the REME when all he really wants is to be a Sapper.

That’s exactly what shit websites and shot social media do. They turn people off. They scroll past because the site is unappealing and Isn’t mobile friendly. They don’t fill in the form because it isn’t put right in front of them or because it asks them to do something they’re uncomfortable with. And when they’ve filled the form in, they don’t follow it through about it the website and social media don’t provide effective, engaging, relevant and inspiring content.

In short your talking bollocks loudly....

I’m not arguing the rights and wrongs of whether a digital recruiting system is right or wrong here. Just that, if your going to follow one then ******* do it well. Follow proven techniques and best practice.

Just to skew the facts figures and percentages.

How many apply who were going to join up and were not influenced either way by any marketing? A fairly high proportion I would guess.

It also seems we p1ss a few of these off and they throw their hand in Capita delays made me give up my Army dream
I read the article and smell an enormous amount of BS there. Simply enormous. Scratch the surface and it's utter bollox and a few people after 15 minutes of fame they don't deserve.

The first guy claims he was "inspired" to join the military when some RAF flew past when he was on a Munro and that he "was drawn to it and the armed forces from there. But it was losing a close friend and their family when Flight MH17 was shot down over the Ukraine that spurred me on." Well, MH17 was in 2014 and he didn't apply until three years later in 2017. Just how much "spurring on" does he need?

The second, who also wants to be an intelligence officer, complains because "it's tiring" having to fill out forms on her piercings and tattoos and being contacted: "almost every day I am being asked to fill out a different form. There was one for how many piercings you have, one for how many tattoos you have... then you get phone calls from so many different people, with some just asking if I am still interested. It's tiring." Poor dear. She's been waiting six months, partly because "it took her almost four months to get her GP to send over her medical records", so "she has had to get another job in the meantime to pay the bills, while staying close to home so she can keep going to the gym to maintain her fitness." Poor, poor dear. Just what the Army needs.

The third and final one is in his first term at RMAS 16 months after applying but doesn't explain what the delays were and talks instead about what's happened to his friends.

Totally pointless examples of just what the Army needs ... or not.

There does seem to be an awful lot of time, money and emphasis on recruiting people who don't want to be recruited. Beyond replicating what has always been done, why is this resource being put forward?

No sarcasm, Bob. It's not your fault that trying to be clever doesn't suit you and your 'educated guesses' are shown (with that data that doesn't exist) to be ... well ... about as uneducated as it comes.
You have to look at the website as an AFCO. Put it on a side street and no one will find it unless you drive people there, which is what the adverts are for.
Brilliant, Bob.

Yet again you've overlooked the most important point. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE YOU DRIVE TO THE AFCO IF THEY'RE THE WRONG PEOPLE.

I could go on, point by point, but it'd be a waste of time and even I've got bored of repeating the mind-numbingly obvious.

(and I'm not really interested in your PMs and your personal problems, Bob)

Edit:
’m not arguing the rights and wrongs of whether a digital recruiting system is right or wrong here. Just that, if your going to follow one then ******* do it well. Follow proven techniques and best practice.
Then I can't even guess what point you've been trying to make for the last few pages about how well the Army's potential recruits are connected, how nobody uses texts anymore, that that's where most potential recruits are, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Yet again you've overlooked the most important point. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE YOU DRIVE TO THE AFCO IF THEY'RE THE WRONG PEOPLE.
Of course it matters you fuckwit. It matters that you design a set up so that it attracts the right people and that it converts the right people. Quite how you think that there’s an alternative to digital marketing to teenagers beats me. It’s not like you proposed an alternative.

I’m not in the slightest bit interested in you, you utterly sad ******. Yet again you’ve destroyed an interesting thread with your drivel.

Back on ignore. And hopefully in deadlool 2019.

True, but some kids come from homes with such bad credit that they can't even get a phone contract.
Anyone can get the one month pay as you go contract/sim card, the phone companies have no risk as you pay up front for a certain amount of time/texts/data.
However some on here don't seem to realise that 10 quid a month is beyond the means of some people.

Of course it matters you fuckwit. It matters that you design a set up so that it attracts the right people and that it converts the right people. Quite how you think that there’s an alternative to digital marketing to teenagers beats me. It’s not like you proposed an alternative.

I’m not in the slightest bit interested in you, you utterly sad ******. Yet again you’ve destroyed an interesting thread with your drivel.

Promises, promises, @bob.

Anyone can get the one month pay as you go contract/sim card, the phone companies have no risk as you pay up front for a certain amount of time/texts/data.
However some on here don't seem to realise that 10 quid a month is beyond the means of some people.
... and even 1p a Mb mounts up if you're expecting people to be active on social media, flit through websites, etc The average spend in the UK (according to @Bob's friends at OFCOM or OFGEM, or wherever). is 125 pounds a month - that's the market Bob, and those with a lot more influence than him, want to appeal to and think are going to be interested in joining the Army. Brilliant ...

You were so right. Only 90 minutes later and then this diatribe.

... I should have written "and then queue this diatribe" really. Ah well...