New Army recruitment campaign

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
You may have misunderstood. I'm not talking about you getting anything "badly wrong" but the ad showing the Muslim praying. It was obviously intended to show how the Army and soldiers respected other faiths - specifically Muslim, in the ad - and designed to appeal to the 'gatekeepers'. Instead it got the absolute fundamentals completely wrong.

Even overlooking the absurdity of the ptl comd telling the radio op to turn the radio off / down, the mistakes were glaringly obvious - and I'm not even a Muslim.
Neither am I. I'm CofE with a streak of Methodism.

Intakes still tend to be 75% graduate but RMAS is looking to attract more school leavers as well. The opportunity to get a degree without student debt and whilst earning a reasonable amount is an attractive offer to both applicants and their gatekeepers.

Sandhurst chief says army needs character not university degrees
Agreed there - there's been about a 10 percentage point change so far to non-grads. As pointed out earlier, the steady change back to more non-grads is a double-edged sword if the Army insists on a degree for promotion

The 'degree' from Henley Business School really is barely worth having - it's like having a third from an ex-poly. What the Army's degree requirement does though, for non-grads, is inevitably detract from either their social life or time they could (and should) be spending on their job - particularly as they also need a language qualification which may also need additional study.

If Comdt RMAS believes character's more important than a degree, that doesn't really fit in with the Army's policy. The article is also wildly inaccurate. Gen Nanson didn't "rise through the ranks". He went to Merchant Taylors then to a crammer, Runshaw College, for his 'A's, then on to RMAS.

Neither am I. I'm CofE with a streak of Methodism.
... and I'm a Theravadan Buddhist. The point I'm trying to make, probably not very well, is that it would have given the ad a bit more credibility for Muslims, and shown them a bit more respect, if they'd at least got the basics right.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Agreed there - there's been about a 10 percentage point change so far to non-grads. As pointed out earlier, the steady change back to more non-grads is a double-edged sword if the Army insists on a degree for promotion

The 'degree' from Henley Business School really is barely worth having - it's like having a third from an ex-poly. What the Army's degree requirement does though, for non-grads, is inevitably detract from either their social life or time they could (and should) be spending on their job - particularly as they also need a language qualification which may also need additional study.

If Comdt RMAS believes character's more important than a degree, that doesn't really fit in with the Army's policy. The article is also wildly inaccurate. Gen Nanson didn't "rise through the ranks". He went to Merchant Taylors then to a crammer, Runshaw College, for his 'A's, then on to RMAS.
Have you always been this chippy?

The extra work required for the degree is largely mapped into the Army courses they will be doing anyway with some additional on-line modular work. The language qualification is the most basic stuff which can be learnt in a matter of weeks.

I thought the language requirement went when retention started falling through the floor?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I thought the language requirement went when retention started falling through the floor?
Has it gone? I understood it was something required before sub-unit command and thought it was a good idea. It was only the sort of stuff you'd need for a reasonable tourist visit.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Has it gone? I understood it was something required before sub-unit command and thought it was a good idea. It was only the sort of stuff you'd need for a reasonable tourist visit.
It went when a year or so back when they realised there was no chance of getting most SUCs up to the standard.

Have you always been this chippy?

The extra work required for the degree is largely mapped into the Army courses they will be doing anyway with some additional on-line modular work. The language qualification is the most basic stuff which can be learnt in a matter of weeks.
I dislike BS and rose tinted glasses.

Neither of those is strictly true, and it's playing down the time and effort required almost to absurdity. The degree, rather like those from that well known uni Cranfield also favoured by the Army, is aimed to be completed within 3 to 5 years of commissioning. Those, to me, are the key years when junior officers should be concentrating on their tps, not their studies. ...

... and while the language qual was "basic stuff" it was colloquial, which is way above "the sort of stuff you'd need for a reasonable tourist visit".

Last edited:

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I dislike BS and rose tinted glasses.

Neither of those is strictly true, and it's playing down the time and effort required almost to absurdity. The degree, rather like those from that well known uni Cranfield also favoured by the Army, is aimed to be completed within 3 to 5 years of commissioning. Those, to me, are the key years when junior officers should be concentrating on their tps, not their studies. ...

... and while the language qual was "basic stuff" it was colloquial, which is way above "the sort of stuff you'd need for a reasonable tourist visit".
I seem to remember it was Basic rather than Colloquial. Still a typically British failure in my view.

ie Level 1111 in Stanag 6001. Happy to be corrected by those in the know. Actually there may have ben a couple of zeroes in the requirement, too.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
(snip)

Do you want to crowbar the word dinosaur in there somewhere? Naturally a bunch of bellend mainly white, mainly well off, mainly straight, mainly male officers in their 50s are well in touch with the youth of today :roll: they know exactly what the youngsters want, thats why recruiting and retention has been shit for the last 3 decades.
In fairness to the mainly straight and mainly male white officers, I think they know what the problem is, they just haven't the foggiest idea what to do about it. They're not equipped professionally or psychologically to deal with ambitious politicians driving a no holds barred equality agenda and, fundamentally, they do not understand that if you meet such people halfway, they'll be back to repeat the exercise tomorrow.

The Army's CoC is remarkably easy for politicians and pressure groups to kick around, whether it means chasing after former soldiers while terrorists get a free pass, lying the truth out of church to 'prove' that men and women are physically interchangeable in a GCC context or pretending that the socially maladjusted are best-placed to learn the colour of the boathouse above any other constituency that we might appeal to. The Army's leadership needs to be bolder, wiser and cannier.

It went when a year or so back when they realised there was no chance of getting most SUCs up to the standard. ... it was a mostly unnecessary requirement that had to be done on top of normal work so it was never going to catch on.
I'm a bit disappointed to hear that as although I agree it's "mostly unnecessary" it's still a lot less work than that required for a degree for a non-grad entrant, to be largely "done on top of normal work", and given the Army's intended future roles I would have thought it was potentially considerably a lot more use than some obligatory but useless third class degree from a second rate poly.

That doesn't seem to be either very consistent or very well thought through, although rather sadly as @BL says, it is "typically British". I recall when with UNTAC all the UNMOs had to fill in their basic languages on a large board under their names, for all to see, virtually all those from other countries had at least a couple of letters under their names while all but a handful of the 30 Brits just had a lone 'E'. It didn't really impress the others.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
In fairness to the mainly straight and mainly male white officers, I think they know what the problem is, they just haven't the foggiest idea what to do about it. They're not equipped professionally or psychologically to deal with ambitious politicians driving a no holds barred equality agenda and, fundamentally, they do not understand that if you meet such people halfway, they'll be back to repeat the exercise tomorrow.

The Army's CoC is remarkably easy for politicians and pressure groups to kick around, whether it means chasing after former soldiers while terrorists get a free pass, lying the truth out of church to 'prove' that men and women are physically interchangeable in a GCC context or pretending that the socially maladjusted are best-placed to learn the colour of the boathouse above any other constituency that we might appeal to. The Army's leadership needs to be bolder, wiser and cannier.

On the other hand they are likely to have teenagers at university mixing with all sorts of similar types from around the world and have a reasonably good understanding if they're sufficiently curious.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm a bit disappointed to hear that as although I agree it's "mostly unnecessary" it's still a lot less work than that required for a degree for a non-grad entrant, to be largely "done on top of normal work", and given the Army's intended future roles I would have thought it was potentially considerably a lot more use than some obligatory but useless third class degree from a second rate poly.

That doesn't seem to be either very consistent or very well thought through, although rather sadly as @BL says, it is "typically British". I recall when with UNTAC all the UNMOs had to fill in their basic languages on a large board under their names, for all to see, virtually all those from other countries had at least a couple of letters under their names while all but a handful of the 30 Brits just had a lone 'E'. It didn't really impress the others.

If I remember correctly the proposal for some basic language training was one of Adrian Bradshaw's who has done a thing or three.

Rather amusingly he got his degree from the second rate poly, as you call it.

If I remember correctly the proposal for some basic language training was one of Adrian Bradshaw's who has done a thing or three.
I'm at least with you on this, if little else. It's a uniquely British trait which is incredibly short-sighted if you aim to influence others by training or working alongside them.
Rather amusingly he got his degree from the second rate poly, as you call it.
Henley Business School or Cranfield? No idea where you dreamt that up from.

He got his BSc from the University of Reading before joining the Army and his MSc and MA from King's College, London.

They have it in their power to stop treating serving soldiers like cnuts.
They wouldnt have half the problems with recruiting if they could sort out retention.

Latest Threads