New Army recruitment campaign

Not really, cadets might become soldiers, but they're already targeted, otherwise the opinions of serving and ex soldiers are irrelevant. The opinions that count are those of the potential recruits. This is a massive problem in the army and an even bigger one for people wanting to be taken seriously on ARRSE, the past is gone, you cannot go back and recreate it, the world has moved on and if you haven't kept running to keep up left you behind.
No but then I've never said it's working, just that your opinion that it isn't doesn't really have much import.
Probably not but then I never said I was, you're erecting straw men to knock down.
Cadets are targeted already are they? Who told you that professor? But lets say they had wanted to join the army,
do you think decent lads (or lasses) who wanted to join the army are impressed with the armys attempt to recruit snowflake, devout Muslims, gayers etc? Or might they think, clearly the army is for those weak ******* and not for me?

I'm not a sex offender but if the adverts were targeting sex offenders to join, I couldnt possibly have an opinion on it because I'm not a nonce?

Do you want to crowbar the word dinosaur in there somewhere? Naturally a bunch of bellend mainly white, mainly well off, mainly straight, mainly male officers in their 50s are well in touch with the youth of today :roll: they know exactly what the youngsters want, thats why recruiting and retention has been shit for the last 3 decades.

But the Army does make concessions to people's faiths. You know that because you complain about it.

Often.
It wouldnt normally ever stop a patrol to allow one person to pray though would it, yet it mislead all the Muslim potential recruits that it would.

You mean that never really happens?
Someone on here claimed to have seen it.
The soldier mag clarified it was a "tactical pause" in the exercise. Odd that the information was missing from the advert.

Cadets are targeted already are they? Who told you that professor? But lets say they had wanted to join the army,
do you think decent lads (or lasses) who wanted to join the army are impressed with the army's attempt to recruit snowflake, devout Muslims, gayers etc? Or might they think, clearly the army is for those weak ******* and not for me?

I'm not a sex offender but if the adverts were targeting sex offenders to join, I couldn't possibly have an opinion on it because I'm not a nonce?

Do you want to crowbar the word dinosaur in there somewhere? Naturally a bunch of bellend mainly white, mainly well off, mainly straight, mainly male officers in their 50s are well in touch with the youth of today :roll: they know exactly what the youngsters want, that's why recruiting and retention has been shit for the last 3 decades.
Caught the nerve there didn't I.

It wouldnt normally ever stop a patrol to allow one person to pray though would it, yet it mislead all the Muslim potential recruits that it would.
The aim of belonging adverts was to show that the Army has a compassionate side and is accepting of different faiths. Accuracy isn’t that important if at all when achieving a visual effect hence a fat opera singer is working wonders for an insurance company and Phil Collins isn’t as hairy as he was portrayed in the Cadbury adverts.

Not really, cadets might become soldiers, but they're already targeted, otherwise the opinions of serving and ex soldiers are irrelevant. The opinions that count are those of the potential recruits. This is a massive problem in the army and an even bigger one for people wanting to be taken seriously on ARRSE, the past is gone, you cannot go back and recreate it, the world has moved on and if you haven't kept running to keep up left you behind.
No but then I've never said it's working, just that your opinion that it isn't doesn't really have much import.
Probably not but then I never said I was, you're erecting straw men to knock down.
If you assume that cadets and veterans are all potential gatekeepers, with credibility, then @stacker1 has a valid point.

If you assume that cadets and veterans are all potential gatekeepers, with credibility, then @stacker1 has a valid point.
But is the assumption valid or are, in particular veterans, actually the problem. It is fairly commonly accepted that the Duke of Wellington did the army a great deal of damage while Prime Minister by his refusal to allow modernisation. In a smaller way does the veteran keep open the gate we need keeping open or does he keep open the gate he wishes the army to remain so he can comfort himself that despite all else he cannot understand in modern society 'the army is still the army and ever more shall be so'. I'm thinking of all the real old and bold I knew who had actually fought in WW2 and not one of them fits the attitudes I see from what I'm pretty sure are mostly post 1960's soldiers. It's one of the reasons I'm less and less convinced that a professional army is a good idea. It appear to me that the risk of an isolated clique of self indulgent, self satisfied, introverted people seriously resistant to change and out of touch with the rest of the society they are supposed to protect is far greater than the presence of a few of the unwilling, who just might ask a few of the 'elephant in the room' questions more often.

. It appear to me that the risk of an isolated clique of self indulgent, self satisfied, introverted people seriously resistant to change and out of touch with the rest of the society they are supposed to protect is far greater than the presence of a few of the unwilling, who just might ask a few of the 'elephant in the room' questions more often.
I knew there would be some sidewards reference to dinosaurs in there somewhere.

The aim of belonging adverts was to show that the Army has a compassionate side and is accepting of different faiths. Accuracy isn’t that important if at all when achieving a visual effect hence a fat opera singer is working wonders for an insurance company and Phil Collins isn’t as hairy as he was portrayed in the Cadbury adverts.
Then the aim was off mark then wasnt it, why wouldnt a 16-17 year old devout Muslim not think that the Army would stop for them to pray based on that shit advert?

Caught the nerve there didn't I.
Not really mate, Im used to bellthronks pretending its the old soldiers/veterans fault that they dont understand the youth of today. I have fucktard officers.

But is the assumption valid or are, in particular veterans, actually the problem. It is fairly commonly accepted that the Duke of Wellington did the army a great deal of damage while Prime Minister by his refusal to allow modernisation. In a smaller way does the veteran keep open the gate we need keeping open or does he keep open the gate he wishes the army to remain so he can comfort himself that despite all else he cannot understand in modern society 'the army is still the army and ever more shall be so'. I'm thinking of all the real old and bold I knew who had actually fought in WW2 and not one of them fits the attitudes I see from what I'm pretty sure are mostly post 1960's soldiers. It's one of the reasons I'm less and less convinced that a professional army is a good idea. It appear to me that the risk of an isolated clique of self indulgent, self satisfied, introverted people seriously resistant to change and out of touch with the rest of the society they are supposed to protect is far greater than the presence of a few of the unwilling, who just might ask a few of the 'elephant in the room' questions more often.
The issue with change is that it can move too fast, and that left field idea gains traction when it should have been binned. Hence we have LEs to balance everything out!

Last edited:
Where is that Like button?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
No, but it would be an option on exercise if the rest were taking a ten minute breather for a brew.

Yes you can. You can see the route that people took to get to the page.

You can also see how long the advert was watched, whether it was watched multiple times, how long people then viewed the various pages, and what route they took. If the user allows it, and most do, you can also leave a tracker that allows you to see re-visits, and sometimes some comparison with other sites.

It's also possible to map it by time, and compare with other events, so whether there was a surge in interest last night during the Paras programme, whether people diverted off to the RM site as a result of their adverts, and whether views on the Army site were biased towards Para, other Inf or other trades.

Traffic tracking is very mature, and well understood by the marketing industry.
Yes.

Analytics Technology and Integrations – Analytics

Scroll down to section on reporting.

Link to Google Analytics is just for illustrative purposes, there are other options out there. And the fact that this campaign is being run via social media gives you even more information. It's a marketer's wet dream.
Unfortunately one of the few problems that has actually been noted, although not actioned, with the current system is that the assumption that all potential recruits have their own laptops, mobile / smart phones, etc, has been shown to be incorrect as far from all do.

Consequently a lot of that detail may be incorrect and will reflect the wrong person. Difficult to understand as in Thailand Chinese phones can cost a tenner, and a decent monthly internet and call package the same, but apparently it's not that unusual for some potential applicants to have problems registering as they can't give a mandatory mobile number.

Assumptions don't always work.

No, but it would be an option on exercise if the rest were taking a ten minute breather for a brew.
The whole idea of it being either a requirement or that salat can be just slotted in at an opportune moment is nonsense, and the ignorance is between laughable and insulting to strict Muslims - it would have been better to have said nothing at all than to get it so badly wrong. It's like assuming that all Christians go to confession.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
The whole idea of it being either a requirement or that salat can be just slotted in at an opportune moment is nonsense, and the ignorance is between laughable and insulting to strict Muslims - it would have been better to have said nothing at all than to get it so badly wrong. It's like assuming that all Christians go to confession.
Oh, well. Enjoy your day.

How many strict Muslims have we lost/not recruited because of it?

Oh, well. Enjoy your day.
You may have misunderstood. I'm not talking about you getting anything "badly wrong" but the ad showing the Muslim praying. It was obviously intended to show how the Army and soldiers respected other faiths - specifically Muslim, in the ad - and designed to appeal to the 'gatekeepers'. Instead it got the absolute fundamentals completely wrong.

Even overlooking the absurdity of the ptl comd telling the radio op to turn the radio off / down, the mistakes were glaringly obvious - and I'm not even a Muslim.

Latest Threads