New Army recruitment campaign

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
From what I saw, the army had the first break, the RM the second and the RAF the third. But bearing in mind that nowdays 5 houses in a street could be watching the same programme at the same time and all get different ‘targeted’ adverts in the break, anything is possible :)
Lots of internet hits on frocks and matching handbags = RM adverts ?

In answer to your kind reply, the modern Army needs recruits which you won't get unless you offer them money to join.

You can't get new recruits by appealing to patriotism, because most young people don't know what it means. And they'd probably call it "racist" anyway. That's how they've been conditioned by the modern schools they attended,

The only way to get more people into the Army is to offer money. That isn't in itself a new thing. Didn't the Army in the 17th and 18th Centuries bribe new recruits by offering the "King's Shilling" if they joined.

Let's face it - no normal person really wants to join the Army. Because you could get shot and killed. And only very brave people are prepared to risk that.

Most people aren't that brave. So they won't join the Army, unless they get a very strong incentive in cash.
There’s a big difference between the King’s Shilling and a £100k bonus for three years service. And the problem with cash bonuses is that they often generate exactly the opposite behaviour to the one you are trying to induce. Quite apart from the obvious question of where is the money coming from? Imagine the uproar spending £1Bn a year of taxpayers money would create.

I don’t think it needs much to make the Army a very attractive place to start a working life. The basic offer package of pay, promotion prospects, education, training, subsidised accommodation, sport etc etc is competitive. The fact that the organisation treats its people like shit is a fundamental one of leadership.

I think it needs significant structural reform.

TamH70

MIA
The smell of coconut (as that's what Bounty bars are made out of) worked quite well on me for a few years - especially when the higher rate kicked in. I'm not sure it would have the same effect on me if I was a lot younger and was able to get back in though.

It appears that I do have the wrong end of the stick. Since the introduction of the Reading Business School qualifications the number of recruits entering RMAS has gone up, and RMAS is no longer in a recruiting crisis. My understanding of your previous post was that it hadn't, the number of vacancies had dropped. No wonder it didn't make sense.
We have an annual demand plan set by DM(A) for Regular and Reserve Officer and soldier. This recruiting year (3 intakes) we have loaded over 99% of the target set by DM(A) for officers, no where near for soldiers.

Regardless of whether that is more or less, and obviously less than when a bigger army needed more officers, themselves the facts for this recruiting year :)

mcphee1948

Old-Salt
Bit chopsy aren't you. #

Why are you trolling?
This website has turned upside down my understanding of military personnel. I used to think they were not very intelligent. But now I see that they are mostly highly capable. And able to withstand a little light trolling,

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
This website has turned upside down my understanding of military personnel. I used to think they were not very intelligent. But now I see that they are mostly highly capable. And able to withstand a little light trolling,
Excellent.
Yeah some of us can now remember to take our strides down before taking a dump.
Not that I believe you post but replying is progress.

Now while most on site realise that "mcphee1948" might not be your first handle here, you'll not be castigated because of it, nor for not having served.
Your previous employment(s) may well have given you some cracking ideas that reallly fit the bill as far as the army goes, but let us know your area of expertise.

And the fact you may have been an utter bellthronk in a previous incarnation means fokoll, so crack on until your stoma needs emptying.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
As has no doubt been pointed out, the more you get the more chance of getting some through.
That'll depend on your funnel.

If the no-hopers aren't chinned off automatically they stay until sifted to delay those with a chance.

As many have pointed out, recruit what you actually need, not just whatever happens be the PC flavour of the day.

mcphee1948

Old-Salt
Excellent.

Now while most on site realise that "mcphee1948" might not be your first handle here, you'll not be castigated because of it, nor for not having served.
Your previous employment(s) may well have given you some cracking ideas that reallly fit the bill as far as the army goes, but let us know your area of expertise.

And the fact you may have been an utter bellthronk in a previous incarnation means fokoll, so crack on until your stoma needs emptying.

mcphee1948

Old-Salt
You sound very willing to fight the enemy, which is what's needed in a soldier.

If only the British Army had more men like you in its ranks!

mcphee1948

Old-Salt
Excellent.

You sound like a real soldier, ie minimal brains, but plenty of guts (and that's not meant as an insult)

I don’t think it needs much to make the Army a very attractive place to start a working life. The basic offer package of pay, promotion prospects, education, training, subsidised accommodation, sport etc etc is competitive.
Ummm ...
Fun, responsibility and trust aren't as easy to quantify as a pay packet and TACOS, but they're the reason why a lot of people used to serve for a lot longer.
... and they're also cheap, and totally within the Army's internal remit and authority.
:glomp:!
I think it needs significant structural reform.
I think we're very much on the same hymn sheet here, and singing to the same tune, but to be a bit pedantic I'd suggest that a 'cultural' reform's what's needed to solve the recruiting and retention crisis (leadership, management, etc), while a 'structural' reform's what's needed to solve the organisational shambles.

Both equally fully within the Army's internal remit and authority and both equally unlikely to happen.

We have an annual demand plan set by DM(A) for Regular and Reserve Officer and soldier. This recruiting year (3 intakes) we have loaded over 99% of the target set by DM(A) for officers, no where near for soldiers.

Regardless of whether that is more or less, and obviously less than when a bigger army needed more officers, themselves the facts for this recruiting year :)
I fink dat's wot @stacker1 and I wos saying:glomp:!

I think we're very much on the same hymn sheet here, and singing to the same tune, but to be a bit pedantic I'd suggest that a 'cultural' reform's what's needed to solve the recruiting and retention crisis (leadership, management, etc), while a 'structural' reform's what's needed to solve the organisational shambles.
I think the cultural and structural reform are very much two sides of the same coin. Many of the cultural issues occur because there are structures in place that create them. Structures that create power centres that, in effect, subvert the integrity of the leadership structure.

If you were creating the organisation from scratch, would you really put horizontal fault lines in place between the messes? Would you really create near impenetrable power centre around the RSM? Would you put your logistics and support functions in the hands of someone who has no prior training? Would you segregate your leadership and give them status and privileges that no-one else in the organisations enjoys? Would you treat your human capital as a resource to fill boxes on an org chart, or would you treat them as your key strategic resource with which to deliver results?

Whilst I agree that making changes is within the Army’s remit, I don’t believe it has a chance of doing so. The organisation is utterly institutionalised from top to bottom and turkeys don’t vote for Christmas.

In answer to your kind reply, the modern Army needs recruits which you won't get unless you offer them money to join.

You can't get new recruits by appealing to patriotism, because most young people don't know what it means. And they'd probably call it "racist" anyway. That's how they've been conditioned by the modern schools they attended,

The only way to get more people into the Army is to offer money. That isn't in itself a new thing. Didn't the Army in the 17th and 18th Centuries bribe new recruits by offering the "King's Shilling" if they joined.

Let's face it - no normal person really wants to join the Army. Because you could get shot and killed. And only very brave people are prepared to risk that.

Most people aren't that brave. So they won't join the Army, unless they get a very strong incentive in cash.
we still have the 'shilling'.

it was an your first day of pay to get you in.

Now it's 1/4 days wage and a train warrant to get you to training. Taken out of your firstbwage.

then it was to settle bills at home, followed by a match to depot. As a soldier. Taken out of your first wage.

Cash won't settle the issue. That's not going to attract who we want. And they'll leave quickly if the cash dried up.

I think the cultural and structural reform are very much two sides of the same coin. Many of the cultural issues occur because there are structures in place that create them. Structures that create power centres that, in effect, subvert the integrity of the leadership structure.

If you were creating the organisation from scratch, would you really put horizontal fault lines in place between the messes? Would you really create near impenetrable power centre around the RSM? Would you put your logistics and support functions in the hands of someone who has no prior training? Would you segregate your leadership and give them status and privileges that no-one else in the organisations enjoys? Would you treat your human capital as a resource to fill boxes on an org chart, or would you treat them as your key strategic resource with which to deliver results?

Whilst I agree that making changes is within the Army’s remit, I don’t believe it has a chance of doing so. The organisation is utterly institutionalised from top to bottom and turkeys don’t vote for Christmas.
Sadly for the future of a definitely failing and apparently doomed Army I have to agree with you.

It's all within the Army's remit, none of it's financial, and there's not a snowball in hell's chance of any of it happening.

... and none of it's the fault of the millennials, snowflakes, gays or women.

The only question, then, has to be how long will it take before our political masters finally accept what our peers and adversaries now know - that we're not 'the best Army in the world'?

Seriously, @CAARPS, I think for once we're in complete agreement about the stats. After ten years of being 10% under target those targets are now being met.

Where we may disagree, though I doubt it, is what has probably attracted those non-grads.

@K44 clearly thinks it's down to the PG Certificate from the Reading Business School being given to non-grads for completing RMAS.

I, on the other hand, think it's rather unlikely that an exemption from the first year of a third rate (and that's being generous) Open University degree was a real attraction and that it's rather more likely they were attracted instead by a 50% pay rise for their first year and a 25% pay rise and accelerated promotion for the next 8 if they wanted to stay that long, putting their early salaries way above that of their fellow non-grad peers who'd performed equally poorly at school.

Whether that attracts the right sort of junior officer or it attracts below par "officers stuck in job they didn't like and didn't give a **** for about 5 years", to quote @stacker1 slightly out of context, is a different matter.

Seriously, @CAARPS, I think for once we're in complete agreement about the stats. After ten years of being 10% under target those targets are now being met.

Where we may disagree, though I doubt it, is what has probably attracted those non-grads.

@K44 clearly thinks it's down to the PG Certificate from the Reading Business School being given to non-grads for completing RMAS.

I, on the other hand, think it's rather unlikely that an exemption from the first year of a third rate (and that's being generous) Open University degree was a real attraction and that it's rather more likely they were attracted instead by a 50% pay rise for their first year and a 25% pay rise and accelerated promotion for the next 8 if they wanted to stay that long, putting their early salaries way above that of their fellow non-grad peers who'd performed equally poorly at school.

Whether that attracts the right sort of junior officer or it attracts below par "officers stuck in job they didn't like and didn't give a **** for about 5 years", to quote @stacker1 slightly out of context, is a different matter.
I wish you’d read what others write properly old boy. I don’t believe that numbers have gone up in recent months due to the higher education offer, though any positive active on the “offer” is likely to play a part, it would also be hard to prove that it didn’t. Out of interest when did the pay offer for non-grads change?

Didn't they used to have something similar back in the 80s and perhaps earlier as well? I've got 'O' Type Engagement in my head and I think it worked along the lines of attend interview/assessment for commission with desired Regt/Corps, etc; get recommended for 'O' Type Engagement (as opposed to suitable for RCB or rejection); attend Phase 1/2 training as a Tom; posted into unit as a Tom (but always under scrutiny and undertaking personal development activities, etc); attend RCB with a Pass getting you loaded onto the desired course at RMAS, but a Fail seeing you RTU'd as a Tom on either Notice Engagement or Open Engagement. I think someone I was in college/TA with went down this route with the RAOC.
Yes and no.

With an 'O' Type you attended pre-RCB (AOSB in old money) at your sponsoring Regt / Corps then, if they didn't think you were up to RCB yet, you had 8 to 10 weeks of "personal development activities" with your Regt / Corps / Depot to prepare you for RCB. Pass RCB and you carried on to RMAS as a DE, fail and you could leave or start Ph1 as a recruit.

It was effectively an early version of the PODC, but run by Regts / Corps in different ways. It was pretty well mandatory in effect for potential Guards officers as 'Brigade Squad', while in my own regt (certainly for those on my intake) it was for those who were either ex-rankers, colonials, or who didn't wear the right old boys tie.

Latest Threads