Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Army recruitment campaign

They certainly have more opportunities via the internet nowadays, however in my experience the majority weren't leaving because they had a high paying job lined up, they were leaving because they thought the army was shit.

The Army has had a recruiting/retention problem for the last 3 decades (possibly more) before the internet was around.

A 22 year old soldier at his 4 year point , with no quals on the lowest supplement and having no extra allowances would then be on take home pay of around 25K. And yet they are still bugging out.
Not what I mean

in my experience, younger people under 30 (compared to 15 years ago) are less likely to be looking for a job (any job) where they want to stay for over 3-5 years, few want a job for life or are worried about a pension

Why do you think this is?
Because there is no chance of having a decent one (much like having a decent house), so why bother to make it a factor in employment?

Not what I mean

in my experience, younger people under 30 (compared to 15 years ago) are less likely to be looking for a job (any job) where they want to stay for over 3-5 years, few want a job for life or are worried about a pension

Not my experience at all, most young people don't have a clue what they want now or 20 years ago, that why some join up claiming they are going to do their full 22 and press the sign off button 1 second past their 3 year point. Others joined up without any real reason "it was something to do" I heard alot of, and stayed in.

Some people join the army and enjoy it and stay in, some people join Tescos and stay with them until retirement. Some people bin them both.

I agree that few care about a pension at that age, but then that never was the greatest attraction of the armed forces or anyone else for young people.

Because there is no chance of having a decent one (much like having a decent house), so why bother to make it a factor in employment?

The Armed forces is (Currently) one of the few employees that gives its workers a good opportunity to buy their own house, (Due to providing accommodation).

This is an over simplistic view. Describing the Army as shit is completely naive too, anyone that makes a snap decision based on a bad day isn't exactly a leader of the future. Everyone that has left from my current location (juniors) has had a job to go to, and the Officers have similar plans. I think you're over exaggerating how bad things are as usual.

I've already told you (And I cant believe someone who has served as long as you is unaware of this) that soldier rarely ever sign off over a single incident, its usually a build up of smaller incidents over time.

If I remember rightly havent you been living in a freezing cold quarter for the last 18 months? I take it you dont think that is shit?

Odd how your juniors fucked off to a job, but you are hanging on for dear life.

lextalionis

Old-Salt
Not what I mean

The yoof are both sceptical of education yet also they realise that it is essential for certain jobs (e.g. law, medicine, nursing, teaching, etc.) and these are the jobs that the parents with sharp elbows drive them towards, rightly or wrongly. The earlier years of adulthood, they realise, are less important than the overall direction. A decent degree is not a bad bet and better on a CV than certain entry-level jobs (among which the Army might be one). Having their own business or being gainfully self-employed is perhaps more of an option than fifteen years ago (including remote working from the sunny shores of ForeignLand). It's less important than it was to take secure if disagreeable employment early in life.

There's also the image of the Army and the conflicting messages it sends - popular memory associates "Deepcut" with loved ones coming home with a hole in the head, however lovingly maked over. On the other hand, the "Snowflakes" message puts off the most determined who might go tor the Royal Marines instead, or take a stab at being a fighter pilot rather than "Private Snowflake, RLC".

I've already told you (And I cant believe someone who has served as long as you is unaware of this) that soldier rarely ever sign off over a single incident, its usually a build up of smaller incidents over time.

If I remember rightly havent you been living in a freezing cold quarter for the last 18 months? I take it you dont think that is shit?

Odd how your juniors fucked off to a job, but you are hanging on for dear life.
My married quarter is colder than ever thanks, we're going through logs at a rate of knots. Your statement ignores the draw of civilian life. People actively decide they want to join then gradually decide that the draw of civilian life is greater than the benefits of serving. As for me, I'm pension trapped for another few years yet.

My married quarter is colder than ever thanks, we're going through logs at a rate of knots. Your statement ignores the draw of civilian life. People actively decide they want to join then gradually decide that the draw of civilian life is greater than the benefits of serving. As for me, I'm pension trapped for another few years yet.
So would you say the lack of interest from the military about your heating could be classed as shit?

Whats the benefits of civvies Street compared to the military, proper benefits, not that at Mcdonalds the boss doesnt makes you stand outside in cold for hour while he makes sure X amount of people have got dressed to his standard, proper benefits. you will always get people who want a certain job leaving the military to get it, the vast majority I know left the Army because they thought it was shit.

Mufulira42

Old-Salt
The yoof are both sceptical of education yet also they realise that it is essential for certain jobs (e.g. law, medicine, nursing, teaching, etc.) and these are the jobs that the parents with sharp elbows drive them towards, rightly or wrongly. The earlier years of adulthood, they realise, are less important than the overall direction. A decent degree is not a bad bet and better on a CV than certain entry-level jobs (among which the Army might be one). Having their own business or being gainfully self-employed is perhaps more of an option than fifteen years ago (including remote working from the sunny shores of ForeignLand). It's less important than it was to take secure if disagreeable employment early in life.

There's also the image of the Army and the conflicting messages it sends - popular memory associates "Deepcut" with loved ones coming home with a hole in the head, however lovingly maked over. On the other hand, the "Snowflakes" message puts off the most determined who might go tor the Royal Marines instead, or take a stab at being a fighter pilot rather than "Private Snowflake, RLC".
IIRC any lads/lassies with 2nd or 3rd language skills coupled with meaningful 'puter skills is an easier way into off-shore employment and bigger $ to boot. To my sorrow had to turn down a former Sapper who obviously was a well-turned out chap but his applicable skills were not up to trained civvies mark as his instructors were mostly past-dated in both training and methods.

So would you say the lack of interest from the military about your heating could be classed as shit?

Whats the benefits of civvies Street compared to the military, proper benefits, not that at Mcdonalds the boss doesnt makes you stand outside in cold for hour while he makes sure X amount of people have got dressed to his standard, proper benefits. you will always get people who want a certain job leaving the military to get it, the vast majority I know left the Army because they thought it was shit.
It would take a lot of cash to heat my MQ, and there isn't any, and I pay peanuts for it. No one has ever told me that they've left the Army because it's shit, maybe because they don't enjoy it anymore. That said I accept that people must leave the Army because it's shit, but if that's the depth of their thinking good luck to them.

It would take a lot of cash to heat my MQ, and there isn't any, and I pay peanuts for it. No one has ever told me that they've left the Army because it's shit, maybe because they don't enjoy it anymore. That said I accept that people must leave the Army because it's shit, but if that's the depth of their thinking good luck to them.

There is plenty of money, its just wasted elsewhere.
I admire your justification though that its ok because you pay peanuts, fairly much the same as the AFPRB when we told them about the conditions in the block, it was fine because the accommodation was free (at the time).
Treat people like cnuts and then wonder while they leave. Although you will put up with it despite saying.

CAAS letter drops through the letterbox today, apparently my freezing cold quarter is changing from band F to band C. Another nail in my retention coffin/piece of straw etc etc.

Beards was just an example of a pointless rule that costs nothing to fix. I'm sure there are many more.
One of the things that really pissed me off was PT, at 06:00. Why? Pads have to get into camp, singlies ran around like headless chickens, showering, block jobs changed then out for first parade sans, the breakfast, which at the time you had paid for, then often spend the entire day looking for meaningful shit to do.
Why not do some effective well planned phys in the afternoon when you could actually have time to do it properly
Just one of many little things we did, because we did. ******* stupid. I'm sure similar shit goes on today.

There is plenty of money, its just wasted elsewhere.
I admire your justification though that its ok because you pay peanuts, fairly much the same as the AFPRB when we told them about the conditions in the block, it was fine because the accommodation was free (at the time).
Treat people like cnuts and then wonder while they leave. Although you will put up with it despite saying.

CAAS letter drops through the letterbox today, apparently my freezing cold quarter is changing from band F to band C. Another nail in my retention coffin/piece of straw etc etc.
The block is a separate issue from the patch. However part of my calculations for staying is how much disposable income I have. As a result I can live with a cold house.

One of the things that really pissed me off was PT, at 06:00. Why? Pads have to get into camp, singlies ran around like headless chickens, showering, block jobs changed then out for first parade sans, the breakfast, which at the time you had paid for, then often spend the entire day looking for meaningful shit to do.
Why not do some effective well planned phys in the afternoon when you could actually have time to do it properly
Just one of many little things we did, because we did. ******* stupid. I'm sure similar shit goes on today.
Its was in the Soldier magazine a few years back that doing PT in the morning is not good for the body, in answer to the letter, someone senior acknowledged that the Army knows PT in the morning isn't the best thing, however it was up to the regt CoC to decide.
A bit like forcing soldiers to pay for tat, its against army policy but its upto the rest CoC to decide.

Some right slopey shoulders in the soldier mag.

Depends on the unit role. Some I have served at need to in work so PT was early, others PT was early for the sake of it, which is shit.

The block is a separate issue from the patch. However part of my calculations for staying is how much disposable income I have. As a result I can live with a cold house.

How sad that you would rather have some extra money than letting your wife stay somewhere decent, but that is your choice so why were you bumping your gums about a nail in the retention coffin, when you are prepared to live in a hovel in order to save money?

Latest Threads