Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Army recruitment campaign

However, the Navy is a tough ask. The uniform is shit, no mobile phone or social media for months at a time. Hardly ticking the youth of today’s boxes...and you can have a beard in the RAF.
The 4 Ps of marketing; product, price, promotion and place. If your product (ie the job) has “niche” appeal, you have no control over price (pay) then promotion has to be shot hot and delivered to the right place (the niche to which it appeals).

IMHO the Navy and RAF are way behind the Army in marketing careers in the digital age.

I think the benefits arent that obvious to most people

The target pool used to be young straights white blokes, that demographic hasnt gone away. Its also been added to by non whites, females, gays and slightly older people. Yet the Army is still struggling to recruit.

In the 1980 hot showers and indoor toilets were considered a luxury by some soldiers, soldiers today might not view hot showers or indoor toilets as anything special in 2020 but fast and cheap(ish) wifi might be, yet the army cant manage even that.

What are the Army offering?
Travel? Very limited
AT? Very limited, normally accessible as a civvie without a tenth of the bullshit
Housing, still cheaper than civvie street but you have no choice where to live and parts of it arent fit for purpose.
Tax free perks? Not available to a lot of soldiers anymore.
Sports? Generally good if you make it higher than unit level, otherwise its nothing special.
Free medical? Not really a massive perk unless you are sick.
Pension? The majority of soldiers dont do enough time to get an immediate pension.
Mess function from 7pm to 6am before a champagne breakfast and 15 pissed up seniors/officers piling into the duty land rover? Died out years ago.
NAAFI bars? Some camps dont even have bars anymore.

There is a struggle to offer something to offset the crap side of the Army.
Even when Iraq and Afghanistan was all over the news, it didnt affect recruiting much (There were a couple of years where it did go up slightly, before dropping down again).
I wish it was possible to re join again after 56. Best years of my life

The 4 Ps of marketing; product, price, promotion and place. If your product (ie the job) has “niche” appeal, you have no control over price (pay) then promotion has to be shot hot and delivered to the right place (the niche to which it appeals).

IMHO the Navy and RAF are way behind the Army in marketing careers in the digital age.

The latest RN television advertising ' I was born in xyz, but I was made in the Royal Navy' are infinitely more exciting and punchy than the most recent Army campaign IMO.

The latest RN television advertising ' I was born in xyz, but I was made in the Royal Navy' are infinitely more exciting and punchy than the most recent Army campaign IMO.

But the Army ones are working, go figure ^~

Inexplicable to me.
Last Army TV Ad I saw had a bunch of (obviously ) actors pausing a patrol so someone could fit a prayer session in.

I wonder if it inspired him to join up ?

Unlike the Navy and RAF the Army don’t use actors (as soldiers) in their adverts, for right or wrong (discuss!)

mcphee1948

War Hero
LBC radio is currently running an advert which, one presumes, is supposed to encourage listeners to join the Army.

The punch-line of the advert is a a "clicking" noise. When I heard this for the first time, I thought the clicking was the sound of a soldier manfully cocking his weapon in bold readiness to fire at the enemy.

But this was a mistaken impression. The advert soon reveals that the clicking is the sound of a soldier undoing
the buckle of his safety-strap, after safely abseiling down a mountain.

I don't quite know what to make of this. Can anyone explain?

LBC radio is currently running an advert which, one presumes, is supposed to encourage listeners to join the Army.

The punch-line of the advert is a a "clicking" noise. When I heard this for the first time, I thought the clicking was the sound of a soldier manfully cocking his weapon in bold readiness to fire at the enemy.

But this was a mistaken impression. The advert soon reveals that the clicking is the sound of a soldier undoing

Modern recruits are snowflakes, who are also cucks to be mocked.

mcphee1948

War Hero
Modern recruits may indeed be snowflakes when they join. Can they be turned into fighting soldiers?

What do you think?

About the same as historical norms at the moment, but that’s probably due to the lowering of standards to let the snowflakes pass ^~

You like to jest, but the Army has for quite some time allowed people who cant even run a mile and half in 10.30 to pass out of training.
But hey, lets just pretend its a joke about the lowering of standards, then the Army doesnt have to admit to it.

Yes. It's to reinforce the reality of the modern soldier being almost permanently attached to apron strings until mummy or daddy say otherwise.

The only purpose of an advert is to get people to fulfil its call to action, which, in both the Army and Navy add is to register interest. People have never joined up because of an ad; in the past, they walked in to an AFCO to find out more. Now they “walk in” to a virtual AFCO.

From then on in, the potential recruit is in the recruiting pipeline and can be targeted with far more granular, relevant information. The subsequent journey from registering interest to recruitment depends on the efficiency of the funnel, not the quality of the ad. Point being, it’s impossible to judge the relative success of the Army and Navy campaigns without seeing the cost per signup

From a marketers perspective, I think the Army ads are clever because they target known GenZ pain points. Ads which knowingly make people think about their start state statistically succeed far better than those which show an end state. Reason being they drive people to act.

All you can really say from calculating advertising spend per recruit is that the Army’s recruiting pipeline spends less per recruit on advertising than the Navy’s. That doesn’t provide any insight into why.

I have seen this generation of snowflakes do stuff in combat that the bed wetting old men on this site have only read about in books.

You have seen those who have joined up in the last few years due to the snowflake adverts do stuff in combat?
When and where was this?

The snowflake adverts have been running for less than a year I think.
in that case when and where were they in combat given that infantry usually take at least 6 months to get through phase 1 and 2

Latest Threads