New Army recruitment campaign

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
I realise the General Boards have been only part-time moderated of late and despite most of the site's valued members largely self-moderating (and I thank you for that), I would imagine by most people's estimations the standards have dropped in general and this area seems to have become home to ARRSE's most determined argumentative trolls.

To that end, on those threads most affected, I am taking the opportunity to post this as a reminder:

In particular:

2. General Boards.

These are the bulk of the site and consist of everything not included in the Serious Boards and the NAAFI. Banter, obtuse posts and ignorant comment are often the norm but we will moderate (ie police) against:

a. Thread hijacking where an argument/slagging match is carried over from elsewhere.
b. Totally pointless points.
c. Extreme swearing and abuse of other users.

It's time for a bit of a culture shift in my opinion, ARRSE is there for all - not just for the select few to "make their point" regardless of how many different font styles and colours you use.

Does it matter a "new" member registered just after one was restricted in hijacking this thread further? That posts in the same style, argues with the exact same people, about the exact same points, at the exact same time of day?

No. What matters is when you use a VPN to make more than one post, it tends to ping up your IP all over the world, London, Canada etc and nobody can travel that quickly. Moreover it confirms Point (a) above, "Thread hijacking where an argument/slagging match is carried over from elsewhere."

Once people start getting the message, I will start to step back and let people crack on - like the NAAFI forums; I rarely see a report in that lot nowadays (in comparison to the Int Cell). Obviously there's been one or two resulting from the Harry & Meghan thread but as it's topical subject and emotions are running high so this is to be expected, to a degree,

In summary, bone arguments spanning weeks, months, years can crack on in the Hole, but they will no longer infest the main boards of this site - clear?

v
As you've now P'd me off and I've only just got here I'll have a go at you over this as well, as it highlights everything that's gone wrong with the Army in the last twenty years or more and what's wrong with this awful campaign.

Your tp fitness pd wasnt just a complete waste of time but it made life easy for your worst and messed about your best.

Your worst and laziest soldier could continue to do nothing and put in the minimum but they'd still cross the line with the rest, while your best spent half the fitness pd wasting their time doing nothing.

Terrible, pointless training and rubbish leadership.
You 're not forced to be here.

I'll explain.

the chicken run was a four to six weekly fun run. Your time on each run was recorded in a little excell document and averaged, me being an excell ninja, this also pushed out the intervals between you and person slower and faster than you. This time was used to 'set you off'.

The distance you ran was identical as everyone else. The slower went first, the fastest last. The idea being that everyone should cross the line at the same time.

In point of fact your competition was yourself.

the chicken added a bit of fun to proceedings, as things got Machiavellian as the pack closed up nearing the finish line. Put it this way. No one 'coasted' across the finish line. You didn't want to be 'troop chicken'.

the proof is in the pudding. My troop consistently achieved faster PFTs than other troops, on average. I also had a higher turnout on pt, rather than having folk in sick or rehab groups. Remember we did one regimental, two squadron and a troop pt session a week. With a sporty or tp or session on alternating weeks.

for added fun, we'd do it in boots, with load, fancy dress.

The bit in bold. How would I otherwise employ the best? If I set everyone off together, they finish first and do nothing. Do I send them to run to the last man so their effort is rewarded by more work? Or do I run everyone at the speed of the slowest? Please let me have the benefit of your experience.

we're hardly talking about half the time either.

FYI I got the idea from a international tour. The multinational troops enjoyed it, so I used it for my troop.

Any questions or are you less 'p'd' off now? What did you organise for troop PT?

Last edited:
Why does he feel the need to do it, it’s not even as if he changes his posting style :) :)
How else are you going to learn?

I realise the General Boards have been only part-time moderated of late and despite most of the site's valued members largely self-moderating (and I thank you for that), I would imagine by most people's estimations the standards have dropped in general and this area seems to have become home to ARRSE's most determined argumentative trolls.

To that end, on those threads most affected, I am taking the opportunity to post this as a reminder:

In particular:

2. General Boards.

These are the bulk of the site and consist of everything not included in the Serious Boards and the NAAFI. Banter, obtuse posts and ignorant comment are often the norm but we will moderate (ie police) against:

a. Thread hijacking where an argument/slagging match is carried over from elsewhere.
b. Totally pointless points.
c. Extreme swearing and abuse of other users.

It's time for a bit of a culture shift in my opinion, ARRSE is there for all - not just to "make your point" regardless of how many different font styles and colours you use.

Does it matter a "new" member registered just after one was restricted in hijacking this thread further? That posts in the same style, argues with the exact same people, about the exact same points, at the exact same time of day?

No. What matters is when you use a VPN to make more than one post, it tends to ping up your IP all over the world, London, Canada etc and nobody can travel that quickly. Moreover it confirms Point (a) above, "Thread hijacking where an argument/slagging match is carried over from elsewhere."

Once people start getting the message, I will start to step back and let people crack on - like the NAAFI forums; I rarely see a report in that lot nowadays (in comparison to the Int Cell). Obviously there's been one or two resulting from the Harry & Meghan thread but as it's topical subject and emotions are running high so this is to be expected, to a degree,

In summary, bone arguments spanning weeks, months, years can crack on in the Hole, but they will no longer infest the main boards of this site - clear?
Tyrant

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Why does he feel the need to do it, it’s not even as if he changes his posting style :) :)
It's personality related, and the different ones people project in different situations.

If, for example, he is employed in a consultant or managerial job, he might imagine himself in a more prominent position, a captain of industry if you will.
This, for whatever reason, then manifests in the loud style he uses on the web, characterised by bluster and attacks on the intelligence of anyone who doesn't see things his way.

In reality he's far more personable than he presents, if for no other reason than he'd have swallowed all his teeth by now had he acted in real life as he does on this site.
Also most people generally, though not always, have a conscious or subconscious desire to be well thought of and/or liked.

The personalities also crop up in other areas.
People who are big cogs in the machinery of society in the real world need a way of relaxing from their duties and responsibilities when not working. This can result in taking a "subservient" rôle at home, becoming in some cases slightly henpecked (deliberately,) or more often it occurs in private, a greater or lesser degree of masochistic tendencies are harboured by people of power, and also by people who would like to emulate such leaders.

Far from beating his houseboy after a difficult time trying to educate the morons on Arrse, it would be more likely that the Major himself is "sharply disciplined."

And just for completeness a 1959 WRAC recruiting advert showing ages from 17 1/2 to 33 with some girls eligible at 17.
Clearly Lifeboat21 confidence in his memory is wrong.

And just for completeness a 1959 WRAC recruiting advert showing ages from 17 1/2 to 33 with some girls eligible at 17.
ever thought that the recruiting ages changed? Over the years? Like I said, it was in the recruiting blurb I saw.

Latest Threads