New Army recruitment campaign

The Grauniad thinks the amry campaign is baaaaddd....

As usual no mention of the social mobility opportunities possible or positive outcomes

The reporter on the article doesn’t have the initials JG by any chance ^~

The reporter on the article doesn’t have the initials JG by any chance ^~
She learnt at his feet, whilst on a spiritual voyage to the far east to seek great wisdom.

The plane had a fault, diverted to Thailand, and she ended up at Chez JG after a patpong p1ssup went off the reservation.....

I had several chats with soldiers who used to do drugs but then joined the army. The key point is to make potential recruits aware that history doesn’t dictate future.
I know quite a lot of soldiers (of various capbadges) who joined up to get away from the drugs scene, they were doing drugs every weekend with the mates and eventually thought it was a shit life and needed to get away.
They are usually very anti drugs while serving.

I know quite a lot of soldiers (of various capbadges) who joined up to get away from the drugs scene, they were doing drugs every weekend with the mates and eventually thought it was a shit life and needed to get away.
They are usually very anti drugs while serving.
Almost like they might have had low confidence in themselves with various distractions...

But made themselves into something better.

I wonder if that girl in the advert is showing this through the medium of tempting the young soldier with tales of getting drunk?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Grauniad thinks the amry campaign is baaaaddd....

As usual no mention of the social mobility opportunities possible or positive outcomes

The last line is worth a smile:

The Grauniad said:
Nathalie Olah is the author of Steal As Much As You Can

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Steal the book.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Wrong kind of stealing.
She's now part of the literati so fair game.

Or is she one of the normal anarchists who propose no rules, no laws and a free for all fight.
Except against themselves.

I had no issue understanding you from your initial post, however, I also understand that the adverts are aimed at all sections of the current MTA.

It just so happens that the current crop are targeting confidence and offering to help improve it in an individual.

If it was education, it doesn’t mean we only want uneducated, fitness doesn’t mean we only want the fat and unfit; income the poor etc.

It’s just like saying the bullets and bombs adverts of old only wanted to attract psychos!

Any reasonable person would :)
Purely from an advertising and marketing management perspective, it’s about segregating the target audience and separating the marketing message so that you can track what works and what doesn’t at a granular level.

If you run a campaign with multiple message (or worse still a single ad), you have no means of knowing which message is resonating with the audience. The other issue is that you probably have less that 10 seconds to make a connection before the viewer scrolls on, so you have to have consistent clarity of message across a campaign rather than jump around. You can’t mix a pain point message like confidence with an aspirational one like education.

This isolation and clarity of message is the key reason why I think recent campaigns are technically head and shoulders above what went before.

Until quite recently, the Army spent millions on one or two glossy adverts that showed a generic message that went out on unfocused channels like TV and poster. There was no method of assessing their effect until recruits turned up at the AFCO. The new set up it a massive step; I’d say the Army is close to cutting edge now.

par avion

War Hero
Personaly I think we should have an advert about a load of Tankies sitting on the deck of a big panzer eating their scoff and drinking tea, wearing ally black tanky overalls. One of them would say "I get fourty pounds a week and that buys me a lot of smarties"(Yes I know we don't have any tanks left but this is just a recruiting advert its not meant to be real life)

Another one could be of a bunch of squaddies windsurfing, sitting on an exotic beach, surrounded by admiring beutifull exotic women and drinking pina colada and other poofey drinks.

It signifies all this malarkey about belonging and would appeal to those low confidence chaps (such as gingers) who can't even pull fag ash Lil down the local disco after 8 pints.

I don't see why they could not be winners. Especially compared to these present ones. They would be just as much of lie. Can't see why they don't give it a go?What do you think?

Really?

I'd have thought the minimum age for females would have made that difficult unless they were over 17. It was over 18, but I can't quote remember what it was.
Actually, you're wrong.

The minimum age was 15 3/4 for Apprentices, and don't start any sh*t or trying to find it on google. I have practical knowledge and experience of this fact.

I'm intrigued by the WRAC Juniors. As they must have disbanded earlier than the other Junior Leaders units. IIRC C Coy at Harrogate disbanded in July 1993 and the first female ATs at Harrogate were in 91B (starting Sept 91) I think. Definitely females in 91C, as the AT RSM was one. Which is interesting when you think the Corps closed in April 92.
I've not read this board before but this was pointed out to me by one of our group so I've got to reply as it's so wrong.

Unless you were a WRAC Junior or one of their DS you can't have any "practical knowledge and experience of this". You weren't. I was, so I do.

The minimum age wasn't "over 17" or "over 18" or "15 3/4 for Apprentices".

Girls aren't boys, Junior Leaders weren't apprentices, the 70's and 80's weren't the 90's, and Guildford wasn't Harrogate.

The minimum age for girls as Junior Leaders, as was pointed out correctly, was 16. Not 15 3/4 or 15 364/365, but 16,

I've only read the last few pages, but there's an awful lot of uninformed rubbish being posted here dressed up as fact based on "practical knowledge and experience" which is completely wrong.

Toppet

War Hero
I've not read this board before but this was pointed out to me by one of our group so I've got to reply as it's so wrong.

Unless you were a WRAC Junior or one of their DS you can't have any "practical knowledge and experience of this". You weren't. I was, so I do.

Girls aren't boys, Junior Leaders weren't apprentices, the 70's and 80's weren't the 90's, and Guildford wasn't Harrogate.

The minimum age for girls as Junior Leaders, as was pointed out correctly, was 16. Not 15 3/4 or 15 364/365, but 16,

I've only read the last few pages, but there's an awful lot of uninformed rubbish being posted here dressed up as fact based on "practical knowledge and experience" which is completely wrong.
Strange, this brand new member writes in a similar manner to John G - must be a coincidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Happy with that. I thought I made it quite clear which bits I had knowledge about and which I didn't.

I was an apprentice, and we had Junior leaders AND soldiers at the same place. I'm pretty versed in the differences. one might even say I have practical knowledge and experience. Although I was surprised to find out about a WRAC Junior Bleeders.

The minimum age when the girls were joining the royal signals WAS 15 3/4 in the '90s, like I said. Same as the boys. As I said I can't remember the first intake with girls but 91C had the first AT RSM, capbadged non WRAC, although that would have she started in Nov 1991. All the girls were wearing WRAC uniform, bar capbadges and acoutrements, for some time.

For adults was there a different age? I could have sworn I read a recruiting blurb that stated over 18 for female recruits in the '90s.

what did the the WRAC JLs do after training? Was there more WRAC training or was it straight to a trade school?

The minimum age when the girls were joining the royal signals WAS 15 3/4 in the '90s, like I said.
Let's get this straight as that's not what you said which was first that the minimum age for WRAC was "over 18" then that it was "15 3/4".

You've been corrected by three posters including me who've between us given you links to our group facebook page, the Corps mag, and a PR photo and article. It's got nothing to do with what happened later when girls could join R Sigs or other units.

You were wrong. End of.

v
as a troop the chicken run was great fun. We had a stuffed chicken. Set everyone off on a five mile run by handicap. Slowest first. The idea being everyone crossing the line together. The last man off would carry the chicken. Palming it off to any one he passed.

Great fun.
As you've now P'd me off and I've only just got here I'll have a go at you over this as well, as it highlights everything that's gone wrong with the Army in the last twenty years or more and what's wrong with this awful campaign.

Your tp fitness pd wasnt just a complete waste of time but it made life easy for your worst and messed about your best.

Your worst and laziest soldier could continue to do nothing and put in the minimum but they'd still cross the line with the rest, while your best spent half the fitness pd wasting their time doing nothing.

Terrible, pointless training and rubbish leadership.

The ad campaign just carries on the pattern. It ignores the best and those who want to make something of themselves and targets only the self-centred, the weak and the failures.

Look at the only ad that targets women, even though there are plenty of good ones around, and its all about a woman who's failed to get anywhere as a civvie and winges about it - but she's fine in the Army because, like your fitness pd, the Army shifts the goalposts to suit her no matter how much the best and rest suffer.

@CAARPS and @The_Duke, you cant have seen the ads if you think that any of this series of ads are "aimed at all sections of the current MTA". None for the last two years target anyone except the failures, the selfish, the weak, and the liabilities. Easy targets.

Let's get this straight as that's not what you said which was first that the minimum age for WRAC was "over 18" then that it was "15 3/4".

You've been corrected by three posters including me who've between us given you links to our group facebook page, the Corps mag, and a PR photo and article. It's got nothing to do with what happened later when girls could join R Sigs or other units.

You were wrong. End of.
No, I said I was sure WRAC adult recruits had to be over 18. Which I believe I saw in a recruiting blurb. Feel free to post where I said WRAC recruits were 15 3/4.

As all junior entry ages were matched, so as to deliver the junior entry to a working unit at or above the adult recruit age I was interested if an increased age for WRAC would alter a junior intake age.

So this would be very pertinent, and explains the 15 3/4 minimum for apprentices.

NOne of your links provided assistance regarding ages.

Last edited:

Latest Threads