New Army recruitment campaign

If units can have Pipes and Drums (which is still a band) why do we need a Corps of Music?

I'm sure if the RN or RAF had the option of 800 personel they would be happy with that uplift.
The Navy and the Air Force also have Bands. You have got yourself really confused. Even before CAMUS, Corps of Drums etc were trained teeth arm soldiers with a secondary function of beating a bit of pig hide in one form or another, same goes for buglers and pipers although there is a certain amount of skill in playing the Pipes. The bands are made up of skilled and qualified musicians whose primary role is to play music.

However, how the hell the AAC got a band leaves me confused as hell.

The Navy and the Air Force also have Bands. You have got yourself really confused. Even before CAMUS, Corps of Drums etc were trained teeth arm soldiers with a secondary function of beating a bit of pig hide in one form or another, same goes for buglers and pipers although there is a certain amount of skill in playing the Pipes. The bands are made up of skilled and qualified musicians whose primary role is to play music.

However, how the hell the AAC got a band leaves me confused as hell.
Certainly, the corps of drums of 1RRF had multiple roles. As well as banging out tunes, MG platoon and assault pioneers.

It doesn't exist anymore, now part of the Band COLCHESTER (snappy title) :)
I thought it was a colocation thing but you are correct its a land grab, so we now have British Army Bands Colchester, Catterick, Sandhurst and Tidworth.
Then
The Band of The Royal Regiment of Scotland
The Band of the Prince of Wales
The Band and Bugles of The Rifles (why FFS?)
The Band of the Brigade of Gurkhas
The Countess of Wessex’s String Orchestra

So just like the infantry super regiments we now have "super bands" all wearing the CAMUS uniform. Next we will learn they are to be called Music Battalions of the Army Music Brigade and the usual charade of forming Staff Structures to be populated across the Army with a Commander Music at each and every 1 Star formation (and there's more than a few of them). Give it a few years and there will be a Maj Gen "Master Musician" sitting on the Army Board.

Meanwhile the Field Army shrinks.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I thought it was a colocation thing but you are correct its a land grab, so we now have British Army Bands Colchester, Catterick, Sandhurst and Tidworth.
Then
The Band of The Royal Regiment of Scotland
The Band of the Prince of Wales
The Band and Bugles of The Rifles (why FFS?)
The Band of the Brigade of Gurkhas
The Countess of Wessex’s String Orchestra

So just like the infantry super regiments we now have "super bands" all wearing the CAMUS uniform. Next we will learn they are to be called Music Battalions of the Army Music Brigade and the usual charade of forming Staff Structures to be populated across the Army with a Commander Music at each and every 1 Star formation (and there's more than a few of them). Give it a few years and there will be a Maj Gen "Master Musician" sitting on the Army Board.

Meanwhile the Field Army shrinks.
As I understand matters (and I was talking to them on Tuesday) the Band which moved into the Band Block at Sandhurst is the RLC one. RMAS lost its own Band in the spending cuts of the mid 1980s.

As I understand matters (and I was talking to them on Tuesday) the Band which moved into the Band Block at Sandhurst is the RLC one. RMAS lost its own Band in the spending cuts of the mid 1980s.
British Army Band Sandhurst is the merging of the RLC Band and the R Sigs Band, although they may provide some support to Sandhurst they are not the RMAS band.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Others may not as they don't live in the groundkeeper's shed in RMAS. :)

It's all a con of course as the band is meant to be an Army wide asset based at Deepcut, but as you say a good element of it has moved into the band room RMAS.
I know. They were playing at the boxing on Tuesday.

All RAC units for a start, 2 SCOTS band is the pioneer platoon, 3 SCOTS have a band aswell but not sure what its role is when they are being real soldiers.
God Almighty, you're talking utter tripe. I'm years out of date on a lot of things, but this wins the cake.
If units can have Pipes and Drums (which is still a band) why do we need a Corps of Music?

I'm sure if the RN or RAF had the option of 800 personel they would be happy with that uplift.
Pipes and Drums or Drums Pls have NEVER been "bands". They're fully trained soldiers who have a secondary and incidental role piping or drumming in whatever unit they joined.

Bandsmen join as musicians and aren't fully trained soldiers in any way, shape or form. The closest they may come (at least in the past although AFAIK no longer) is as medics / stretcher bearers.
How about £10 to charity, if I'm so mistaken?
Is that £10 per unit you've mentioned?

Which begs the questions, who are they and how do you get to them? Using marketing language, if the traditional avatar of 18 year old rugby playing public school product is no longer either desirable or available, who do you target and how? And if your selection process is designed to sift the best of that traditional avatar, how can you expect candidates from different target avatars to pass?
Rightly or wrongly the "traditional avatar of 18 year old rugby playing public school product" is certainly still highly "desirable" for the Army, but it's only "available" in numbers that have been steadily decreasing for the past twenty or thirty years as they have less and less incentive to join the Army.

Little or nothing to do with Gen Z, millenials, or any generational change but it's one of the few things down to changes in the Army. The Army simply no longer offers the "traditional avatar of 18 year old rugby playing public school product" many of the incentives it used to: a privileged lifestyle, authority, prestige, etc. All that's been steadily eroded as the differentials of RHIP have, rightly or wrongly, been removed.

Instead those who want to either maintain or get those differentials have to buy them and as the Army doesn't offer officers (at least in the lower levels /early stages) the salary to do that they inevitably and unsurprisingly look elsewhere.

The idea that there's now a more level playing field, more cream available from a far bigger recruiting pool, etc, and the Army's driving that to recruit better officers is pure hype.

The reality is that the Army's had no option but to cast a wider net to attract / let in those who would have been considered totally unsuitable before and been failed / rejected at the first hurdle. My school's fairly typical of those which have provided the "traditional avatar" and numbers of applicants have dropped by 40% in as many years and continue to drop at the same rate.
..... who do you target and how?
Until you know not only what the Army's purpose is, in specific rather than broad terms, how can you possibly know who to target and how?

You can't.
So yes, I think praise is due.
Great. Well done to the recruiters for getting the numbers up - even if they're not fit for purpose and we don't even know what that purpose is.
..... And I don’t think retention is the other side if the same coin.
Gotta disagree with you there, Bob, in spades.

You can fool all recruits some of the time and some all of the time, but a lot, lot less than in the past. Recruits want to know what life's like and why people are leaving or staying, and all that's now very easy to learn. They're not reliant on recruiters and "satisfied soldiers" any more to tell them what they want to know.

If retention's bad then any recruit worth having is going to know that and going to wonder why. If all the Army's doing is attracting those who either don't wonder why or don't care and fall for the hype / ad campaign then all it's doing is sticking another band-aid on while the problem festers.

Belonging 4 hitting the streets soon, I can say with CONFIDENCE it is bound to get the keyboards bouncing :) :)
Whoopeeee! Happy for you.

Now you can clap yourself on the back about what a great job Recruiting Group are doing getting the numbers up.

Just a pity a lot of those numbers are never going to be capable soldiers as long as they've got a hole in their arrse, and the Army's got little or no idea what they need to be capable of / for anyway .....

Latest Threads