New Army recruitment campaign

What is it with competing towns/cities all wanting to be declared 'Home of the British Army'? Colchester one day, Catterick the next, now Salisbury have entered the bunfight.. ...and by 'Salisbury' have they included Bulford under that umbrella? ...a shiver goes down my back just typing the word Bulford....
I liked Bulford.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

What a terrible thought! There can be nobody, nobody, that sets off on the adventure of joining the military to spend the bulk of their career based around Salisbury Plain. Soul destroying!
But that’s what we all asked for...stability. Oh that’s what the seniors asked for but they gave it to the juniors.

Swampy bring your mates the Army needs you!
Army could phase out fossil fuels to attract eco friendly recruits, senior general says
Brilliant, you still have to move the same amount of diesel to charge the vehicles and we better invest in our future opponents electrical infrastructure, I’d hate to be caught out with the wrong type of charging cable. MCS too, he should know better.

Last edited:
A classic "headline that doesn't describe the contents".

Gen Sir Mark Carleton-Smith said today’s military equipment would probably be the last to be “dependent on fossil fuel engines”, and that a move toward clean energy would be beneficial logistically and put the military “on the right side of the environmental argument”.

Speaking at a defence and security event in London, he said: “The Army is leading defence on sustainable energy solutions, both at home and when deployed overseas. We may be at the inflection point of how we power our next generation of vehicles. Our current equipment programme is possibly the last to be dependent on fossil fuel.”

Calling on British industry to lead the way on developing new sources of energy for the military, he added: “The challenge, and genuine commercial opportunity, is to aim high and lead the world in the development of military equipment which is not only battle-winning but also environmentally sustainable.

"That gives the British Army considerable operational benefits, such as reducing our logistical drag, and also puts the Army … on the right side of the environmental argument, especially in the eyes of that next generation of recruits that increasingly make career decisions based on a prospective employer’s environmental credentials.”

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Does this mean hover tanks with rail guns are finally coming?

Does this mean hover tanks with rail guns are finally coming?
Nope, it means the grunts will be getting recyclable plastic boots, none of that cruel to animals leather rubbish.
And a handcart per platoon in lieu of polar bear murdering infernal combustion engines.
Oh, and to reduce carbon emissions to zero, no more gun powder or chemical propellants. Bows, arrows ( fletched by non harmful to geese ersatz feathers) and renewable stone axes. ( Metal ones upset Gaia and Greta equally).
Finally, to reduce packaging waste, all troops will live off the land in regard to rations. Which, helpfully, reduces the armed forces' carbon footprint produced when importing foreign foodstuffs for ration packs. From now on, depending on theatre, it's good, healthy, local meat & veg only.
While the bulk of the army remains in Britain, expect your time in Salisbury Plain/ Catterick/ Colchester/ Scotland to be enhanced by a diet of turnips and rabbit.

I commend this motion to the house.

Finally, to reduce packaging waste, all troops will live off the land in regard to rations. Which, helpfully, reduces the armed forces' carbon footprint produced when importing foreign foodstuffs for ration packs. From now on, depending on theatre, it's good, healthy, local meat & veg only.
While the bulk of the army remains in Britain, expect your time in Salisbury Plain/ Catterick/ Colchester/ Scotland to be enhanced by a diet of turnips and rabbit.

I commend this motion to the house.
Meat, what planet are you from FFS?

The joy of life in Warminster, dear Lord how soul destroying!
In addition to Bulford, I quite like Warminster as well!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Aren’t sausages meat? I thought you got one a day?
If you follow the trail the overall response is to the MCS article about future vehicle procurement having an environmentally friendly focus iot appeal to the snowflake generation. As for sausages, I believe you can have two protein items in the core breakfast.

If you follow the trail the overall response is to the MCS article about future vehicle procurement having an environmentally friendly focus iot appeal to the snowflake generation. As for sausages, I believe you can have two protein items in the core breakfast.
I know. Just a cheap joke.

TBH I don’t think the Army has much choice but to engage in the sustainability issue particularly in the recruiting space. I know that stately might appear to be a middle class solution pandering to a minority, but wokeness is a very real challenge.

Quite how you paint a message that blowing things up is sustainable escapes me. I guess that is what CGS is highlighting.

I know. Just a cheap joke.

TBH I don’t think the Army has much choice but to engage in the sustainability issue particularly in the recruiting space. I know that stately might appear to be a middle class solution pandering to a minority, but wokeness is a very real challenge.

Quite how you paint a message that blowing things up is sustainable escapes me. I guess that is what CGS is highlighting.
I’m pretty sure DE&S has a box that must be ticked, DIO definitely do. Quite how you remove diesel from war fighting I don’t know, but we could start by removing logistics from the RLC, and maybe we’d get what we wanted when we needed it, got to be a cost saving in that???

... but we could start by removing logistics from the RLC, and maybe we’d get what we wanted when we needed it, got to be a cost saving in that???
If an item is COTS, then there are time and cost savings to be made. There's still the issue of what do we do if items have a long lead time, and we are likely to want them in a shorter timescale. There's also the problem of delivery to deployed units. Any cost savings you think you make by not having stores stored by storesmen (other genders are available) soon disappear when you ask UPS to fly out to Bahrain with a single (large) item.

Latest Threads