New Army recruitment campaign

Lean out the management in a unit and see what happens.
I would go further and as I suggested before put all 2 Lt to Capt in a single band all with the same rank gaining authority from their role instead. The fun thing would be the potential to move up, move sideways and move down within the grade. Capt one day and back down to 2Lt status the next, now that would be fun :).

The Army used to be very good at experimentation. Then it got all doctrinal. If you go back to the theme of this thread, wouldn’t it have made sense to experiment and prove the concept of online recruiting on a small scale, then scale up? The Army way seems to have become all or nothing.
This is all about getting something done in your two year tenure isn't it. Experimentation adds delay, and possibly removes a positive (perception of) line from your OJAR. I was at a Cisco brief last week and they've adopted an attitude that removes a lot of bureaucracy from decision making, if something doesn't work, revert, if it does work roll it out world wide.

I do, however, look at many of the Army’s ills; disengaged people, lack of trust both up and down, sclerotic decision making, poor retention, self-serving behaviours, disconnect between top and bottom, lack of understanding of roles etc etc, all of which have been described on this thread in some way. And don’t forget, the Army hasn’t delivered much successfully for years.
Agree with all of that, @Bob, but there's a danger of kicking the lampost the same time the lights go out and assuming that's the reason.
Personally, I’d experiment. I mean properly experiment. Lean out the management in a unit and see what happens
The problem is you're experimenting with people's lives.
My bet, young, inexperienced people would rise to the challenge.
I'm sure they would. Just as I'm sure that, having risen, they'd be rather disappointed to see that there are no challenges left so they'd leave, leaving the 2nd or 3rd XI to go on to higher more boring things.

Probably not the ideal solution.

@Alamo, you clearly work/have worked in Main Building. How much of the effort there is to support not particularly sharp Cols/1* to get that CBE and promotion - as well as supporting the three star greasy pole?
In HQ ARRC, the unofficial motto was 'Et ipse transivit.' Apparently (My Latin is zero beyond the obvious and the school motto) it means "I lick myself" in an obvious reference to the self-licking lollipop syndrome evident in all large HQs.

I was beaten into submission by daring to suggest that perhaps the Army had something to learn from the private sector (can't possibly be a better way to teach anything).
No, you made an uninformed and stupid suggestion about RMAS.
Out of interest, how much cross-army networking goes on or is facilitated?
Plenty. Apart from offr trg most differences in structure are cosmetic.

In HQ ARRC, the unofficial motto was 'Et ipse transivit.' Apparently (My Latin is zero beyond the obvious and the school motto) it means "I lick myself" in an obvious reference to the self-licking lollipop syndrome evident in all large HQs.
IIt's a long time since I used Latin and it could mean different things in different contexts, but definitely not 'I lick myself'!! It's the third person singular ('he') so the the simplest translation would be 'and he passed himself'.

Sorry to disappoint you and your HQ. I suppose it could have been worse, 'and he pissed himself' : et ipse minxit.

IIt's a long time since I used Latin and it could mean different things in different contexts, but definitely not 'I lick myself'!! It's the third person singular ('he') so the the simplest translation would be 'and he passed himself'.

Sorry to disappoint you and your HQ. I suppose it could have been worse, 'and he pissed himself' : et ipse minxit.
Ah well...As I didn't know the truth, and I suspect nobody else did, it was fit for purpose at the time.

I would go further and as I suggested before put all 2 Lt to Capt in a single band all with the same rank gaining authority from their role instead. The fun thing would be the potential to move up, move sideways and move down within the grade. Capt one day and back down to 2Lt status the next, now that would be fun :).
The related think in my experience is people who bounce between running teams, leading departments and being individual contributors depending on where they are in their careers and what opportunities open up.

In the way that people in business network, next to none. And what there is tends to be very formal and stilted; check out the REME biscuits at coffee thread. Plenty of brown-nosing of course.
I don't know the extent of the communications mechanisms within the military (and I'm not meaning to pry either) but surely Facepest for Defence or something similar must exist?

@Alamo, you clearly work/have worked in Main Building. How much of the effort there is to support not particularly sharp Cols/1* to get that CBE and promotion - as well as supporting the three star greasy pole?
No, I've deliberately avoided both MOD and PJHQ, but I have spent some time working with them and have good friends who have (who spent most of their time miserable and f***ed). To be fair I think MOD is generally staffed by the better ones, as there's nowhere for the duffers to hide; with exceptions I'm sure. In my experience though, the adage that you can't fool all the people all the time is generally true; one good tour anywhere isn't enough to get promoted.

It was an option at mine, but I did German instead because I was in the top stream and had choices.

I had to do Latin and French but added German, which turned out to be a good choice.

Your informal motto is 3rd personal singular of the reflexive perfect tense of transeo in the active voice and indicative mood. Since you say it was informal I'd say it's safe to assume a humorous interpretation.

The subject is not made explicit but the two best choices to my mind are:

He has surpassed himself (perhaps a reference to the Commander).

It has surpassed itself (the HQ).

Christ that would take some doing. Other things would be just as likely to float to the top as well.

In 1943 RAF targeteers selected the office of fighter production within the Reichslüftminiterei as an effects target, on the basis that the Nazis were slaves to bureaucracy. Post war analysis showed that aircraft production increased as manufacturers were released from these stupifying shackles.

Just saying

I had to do Latin and French but added German, which turned out to be a good choice.
I just had German and French (Other foreign tongues were available).

Your informal motto is 3rd personal singular of the reflexive perfect tense of transeo in the active voice and indicative mood. Since you say it was informal I'd say it's safe to assume a humorous interpretation.

Maybe it lost a little in the long corridor between the Command Group and G6. I blame the two infantry SO2s we had in the division. One Irish Rangers and one QLR.

This is all about getting something done in your two year tenure isn't it. Experimentation adds delay, and possibly removes a positive (perception of) line from your OJAR. I was at a Cisco brief last week and they've adopted an attitude that removes a lot of bureaucracy from decision making, if something doesn't work, revert, if it does work roll it out world wide.
Perhaps two year is a result of having too many ranks and having to jump the right hurdles to promote.

In some cases, two years is fine. Some jobs are so intense that two years or so is enough. Others need longer to make a difference.

Wouldn’t the recruiting partnership have gone a whole lot better if those who deemed the concept had implemented it?

Let's hope you did rather better at modern languages.

One of the many things 'transivit' could not have had any connection with was "surpassing" anything.

While some English words descended from the Latin 'trans' are quite clear (transit, etc) those from the very well-known Latin for 'to surpass' are even clearer: 'excello'.

Presumably you seldom saw any on your Latin papers (or later).

Last edited: